Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 windscreen washer

Views : 1026

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:12   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
what did you clean the inside of the bottle with .? my coolant reservoir needs cleaning too !
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUMPSTER View Post
The Mrs dishwasher i find is great for expansion tanks and other car bits lol
He beat me to it! ^^^^^^^

Also very good, especially for expansion tanks, are extra strength denture cleaning tablets. I bought a tub (with a lid) bigger than the expansion tank, put half a dozen super-strength Steradent in, topped it all up with hot water and put the lid on. Gave it a shake to mix it then left it a while. gave it another shake to help the dirt start loosening then left it overnight.
Another shake first thing in the morning then in the afternoon (when my hot water comes on) another shake before rinsing it out and drying it.

Either way, the dishwasher is a very good tool for cleaning expansion tanks, washer bottle reservoirs, wheels, anything in fact that will fit and not be damaged by high pressure water being sprayed into it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 13:36   #12
bob12
bob12

When I cleaned my washer tank and the header tank a few years ago I used 'Oxy Plus'. It's one of those foaming oxygen laundry and general purpose cleaners like Vanish or any of the Supermarket own brand products.

It worked well, but I still had to give them a second go and use a bottle brush in some hard to reach a places!
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 13:52   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
When I cleaned my washer tank and the header tank a few years ago I used 'Oxy Plus'. It's one of those foaming oxygen laundry and general purpose cleaners like Vanish or any of the Supermarket own brand products.

It worked well, but I still had to give them a second go and use a bottle brush in some hard to reach a places!
Give the super-strength Steradent a try Bob, it works very well! DIdn't need a bog-brush (or bottle brush!) and it also seemed to make the plastic clearer.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 14:27   #14
slowprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's worth pulling the reservoir out and cleaning the individual parts to remove not only the grime of the past 20 years but limescale as well on the rubber seals that causes leaks - mine used to leak every time i filled it until i did this.

Also renewed the breather hose with some 8mm bore clear PVC hose, used about a metre and ran it up the inner wing towards the bulkhead.

Out of interest, which valve is blocked? I've found adding 1/2 pint of white vinegar to the reservoir once every 6-12 months helps keep limescale and dirt down and everything working nicely - also cleans the washer pipework as well and the jets too.
It's the T shaped valve with a red cap. Located near the bottom of the windscreen. There is a hose connected to the bottom which carries the water into the valve and two hoses at the top which carries the water off towards the spray nozzles. I have had the hoses off and can see the water is coming though the hose fine but not making it through the valve which seems well clogged up.

Vinegar trick is a good idea.
slowprop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slowprop For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 14:48   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowprop View Post
It's the T shaped valve with a red cap. Located near the bottom of the windscreen. There is a hose connected to the bottom which carries the water into the valve and two hoses at the top which carries the water off towards the spray nozzles. I have had the hoses off and can see the water is coming though the hose fine but not making it through the valve which seems well clogged up.

Vinegar trick is a good idea.
I thought it might be that one. They usually leak when they fail as well, driving along quite happily, hit the screnwash then misfire and stop for no appraent reason. A few minutes later, start up without a problem. All courtesy of screenwash being sprayed over the dizzy cap!

On mine (B280E) the dizzy is at the front so the water sprays down onto the left hand exhaust downpipe as it runs over the top of the bellhousing resulting in a cloud of steam when that valve failed.

You might find the blockage is actually in the jets as well, if so, these are a worthwhile improvement :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windshiel...0/352558440677

Easy to fit, pull the rubber hose off the old jets then using an 11mm box spanner or deep socket, align two sides of the socket with where the tangs will be and push up towards the bonnet which will disengage the tangs on the old ones and the old jet just pops out. Feed the hose through the hole, attach to the new jet and simply push the new jet into place. Test, enjoy and spend hours watching the screen get cleaned quicker and easier! Somewhere i have some photos and even a video of how effective they are, can't find them at the mmoent but definitely a good improvement!

Old Jun 25th, 2019, 18:26   #16
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUMPSTER View Post
The Mrs dishwasher i find is great for expansion tanks and other car bits lol
Right up until she finds out, at which point much explaining will be required, together with a trip to the hospital to have the items surgically removed!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 20:10   #17
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Give the super-strength Steradent a try Bob, it works very well! DIdn't need a bog-brush (or bottle brush!) and it also seemed to make the plastic clearer.
I don't have dentures Dave .... yet ... oh well, maybe a couple or so falsies!! It was cheaper to raid the laundry cupboard!

Should I do it again I might take the dish washer tip and gain a load of brownie points by loading it and stacking the 'plates' the next morning. Trouble is that gesture of goodwill will undoubtedly raise suspicions that I might be up to no good!
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 21:39   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
I don't have dentures Dave .... yet ... oh well, maybe a couple or so falsies!! It was cheaper to raid the laundry cupboard!

Should I do it again I might take the dish washer tip and gain a load of brownie points by loading it and stacking the 'plates' the next morning. Trouble is that gesture of goodwill will undoubtedly raise suspicions that I might be up to no good!
Neither do i Bob, i was out shopping and saw them, realised they were an ideal detergent for cleaning the tank so bought and tried them.

A bit like i have cleaned catalytic converters with dishwasher tablets, similar procedure, half a dozen dishwasher tabs instead, cat in a container big enough then flushed it through with the garden hose both ways afterwards before drying with compressed air and painting it.

That was after the Lambda sensor on the front bank had failed during the previous MoT test and i'd watched the CO level rise from 0.06% to over 9.5% when the tester pulled the hose out of the tailpipes.

Got a clean sheet (every pun intended!) on the emissions afterwards but the tester was wandering round asking why he could smell lemons!

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 02:27   #19
mike1950

SAM_0637 (2).jpg

The T shaped valve with the red top which feeds the window washer.There is a rubber diaphram inside which perishes.This then stops water to the washers.
Take the valve off and you will see a small hole in the red top-something someone else can explain to me,it's an air hole by which the Volvo sorcery works.

Take a fine blade between the red top and the black body and gently lift and the red top will pop off.
I use a very thin rubber disposable glove to cut a small piece to make a new diaphram.Make it too big then stretch over the hole and a good steady push with the thumb and the red top will click back on.

Have tried to upload a photo of the spare I carry---probably won't show.But it does'nt need to be a neat job.Bet you find it works
mike1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 02:32   #20
mike1950

SAM_0639 (2).jpg

Hopefully view of the valve from below.
The blue is the rubber glove diaphram--you of course are allowed to trim it so that it looks nice.

Last edited by mike1950; Jun 26th, 2019 at 02:36. Reason: addition
mike1950 is offline   Reply With Quote