Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I said i'll be back!

Views : 14657

Replies : 242

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 20:27   #241
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Ignoring the location (about 60 miles away!) of the nearest wheel refinisher to me Mark, it would get rid of the last bits of paint but that's not really the problem.

Those gouges have got me thinking. I'm assuming/guessing that there was some kind of filler in them under the first coat of primer which, as i've discovered, is hard as bell-flint.

It makes me wonder what i'll find under the primer that refuses to shift - will there be other casting faults that then need refilling with some sort of filler?

If so, all i will have achieved by removing those last traces of primer is making more work for myself and having to paint the wheels anyway, instead of having the fronts mirror polished and lacquered.

As this is the spare, it wasn't quite so critical if things didn't go according to plan or to put it bluntly, if i screwed it up. However, what i've found is that while the wheels looked nice with the original paint on, they were originally rough-cast, etch primed, spray filled, flatted then primed, 2 coats of silver and at least one of lacquer then baked at 140C to harden the paint.
It worked well, after all, the wheels are 30+ years old and when clean, still look pretty good.
This is really what put the idea in my head to mirror polish them. It seems there was a large dose of "smoke and mirrors" by the wheel manufacturer/Volvo originally though.

It leaves me in a quandary. I've spent about 2-3 weeks, on and off with about an hour a day doing a bit here and a bit there and most of that has been stripping back the original paint.
With what i've found with the gouges and the last reluctant bits of primer, i'm seriously considering just repainting it and when i come to do the other 4, just sand them down enough to key the surface, repair any kerb rash with filler, prime and paint then lacquer them.

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 23:00   #242
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I haven't forgotten about the wheels, i have only finished one so far :

Went for paint in the end, replacement tyre (that is legal and the correct size!) fitted and all nicely balanced. The rest are still waiting!

In other news, the fuel filler neck had a leak. Ever since i've had the car, there's always been an arome of super unleaded in the car, there have been several leaks that i've found and fixed and i had got to the point where i thought the smell was petrol fumes that had got into the upholstery/carpets and the pong was permanent.

However, i went to get something out of the void space/cubby hole above the spare wheel well a month or so back and as i lifted the wooden floor panel, was hit by petrol fumes - fresh ones! Stripping the trim out, the pong got stronger until i found this :

Nice hole, about 2-3mm big in the breather pipe of the fuel filler! As a temporary measure, i did this :

Short self-tapper sealed with RTV sealant - worked well but it was treating the symptom, not the cause. Enter a replacement fuel filler neck, courtesy of Luke (360beast) which i finally fitted this afternoon. I have pics but not uploaded them as yet, will post some when i do. In between showers, coffee/rest breaks and actually doing it, it took me about 2 hours.

Tested it while putting the last few panels back, after about 30 seconds idling, it coughed, spluttered and ran a bit rough then cleared itself, which i put down to an air lock in the pipe. I'd also fitted a non-return valve on the in-tank pump outlet so wondered if that was maybe sticking slightly as it was new.
About an hour later, went to take the hound for her daily rabbit-chase - not that she'd ever stand a chance of catching one and rarely see them in the day but i digress.
Got about 1/4 mile, started running rough then cut out completely.

First thought was the NRV had failed, got the hound home, grabbed a couple of tools and went back, whipped the NRV out and refitted the fuel hose direct to the pump outlet on the tank.

Still wouldn't start!

On a hunch, i decided to check the fuse so pulled the fuse out (hardly any effort, fuse was quite loose!) and it looked good, blades were bright and shiny so put it back and pushed it in a bit harder.
Turned the key and roared into life!

Now i have to refit the NRV to see if it is ok and doing what i hope it will but meanwhile, ever sicne i've had the car, to a greater or lesser degree it would sometimes go "flat" on me, yes it still drove but no "sparkle" in the performance, a bit unresponsive - you get the idea.
Since refitting the fuse a lot tighter, it's a lot livelier, more responsive and so on. Food for thought!

I'll run it for a day or three before refitting the NRV, just to make sure i've got the fault (fuse from the look of it) and then give it another try.

Meanwhile i'll get the photos of fitting the fuel filler loaded and onto this thread.

Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 21:18   #243
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

After my little episode with the NRV and the fuse, i refitted the NRV to try it. Within a minute or two, it stuttered and cut out again so i reconnected the fuel outlet hose direct to the tank again. Fired and ran so it got me thinking. I could easily blow through the NRV so it suggested no fuel was being pumped through the NRV, just being sucked through by the underbody pump. The fuel outlet hose didn't get any harder with the engine running than switched off, further indicating lack of in-tank pump action.

A visit to Rock Auto found a new in-tank pump and strainer which with shipping, Import Vat and so on came to about 35 and i've now fitted it (see this thread for more info https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295939 ) and things have further improved.

Waiting on the main pump check-valve to land now to fit that and see if it returns everything to how i think it should be.

Meanwhile in other news, i changed the diff oil and found some swarf on the drain plug. Sadly the noise and vibration is still present, albeit both at a reduced level. Just enough of each to really niggle now!
Sourced another back axle with a higher ratio (bonus!) and now working out how to get it here etc.

Also fitted the rear ARB after cleaning and painting it :

Vast improvement in handling, roadholding and surprisingly, ride quality. Something immediatley obvious is pulling out of a T junction where the back end would previously roll, twitch and generally feel a bit odd, it now just follows the front which leads to a general feeling of the car being planted more firmly on the road.

Now things are more or less up together mechanically, i'm turning my attentions to improvements, subtle mods and so on. Not giving anything away just yet but i have some interesting ideas!

Dave

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: