Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC60 Playlists

Views : 8780

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2017, 18:28   #11
Jcbrown

Only thing I would add is that the Playlist does not have to be in the root - it can be in an Artist or Album folder. BUT you have to create the playlist in a different format!

if you want to be very bored, here is the link to the doc I created when this was first asked. But it is long and boring - don't say I didn't warn you

Playlists
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 19:03   #12
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrown View Post
Only thing I would add is that the Playlist does not have to be in the root - it can be in an Artist or Album folder. BUT you have to create the playlist in a different format!
Presumably if a playlist is in a folder, it will only be able play files in that folder or it's sub folders. Whereas if the playlist is in the root it can play any files from any folder or sub folder.

What would be the advantage of not having a playlist in the root of the drive?

If I had seen your "paper" before I started my own experiments I may have saved some time. At least we have come to the same conclusion regarding the format of the "pathname" on playlists situated in the root of a USB drive.

I just wish that Volvo had made this information available in the car manual.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 21:48   #13
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukden View Post
Presumably if a playlist is in a folder, it will only be able play files in that folder or it's sub folders. Whereas if the playlist is in the root it can play any files from any folder or sub folder.

What would be the advantage of not having a playlist in the root of the drive?
Not really much I can think of - might be good to keep a playlist for a specific artist in the artists folder I guess, but either way would work - guess it just comes down to personal choice.

Quote:
If I had seen your "paper" before I started my own experiments I may have saved some time. At least we have come to the same conclusion regarding the format of the "pathname" on playlists situated in the root of a USB drive.
Sorry, never got round to putting it anywhere last time.

Quote:
I just wish that Volvo had made this information available in the car manual.
Agree. Also think it could be a lot easier - just too much hassle for me
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 17:57   #14
Boatie
Master Member

Can anyone, using non techie words of one syllable, tell me how to transfer vinyl music onto a USB stick that I can play in my V90 and be able to identify/select the individual albums. I wouldn't care about the play order.

I've got Windows 10, an Ion USB turntable and EZ Vinyl Tape Converter software.

I can download vinyl into my laptop using EZ Vin............. which saves it in Music and then seems to put it into I Tunes. After a fashion I can then save onto a USB stick that plays in the car. Sometimes it is displayed in the car as "track 1", "track 2" etc. Other times when I follow the same process (I think) it displays as "side1", "side 2". No matter what I do I'm not able to type album information into EZ or I Tunes and get it onto a USB stick that's readable by the car.

I realize that the above is garbled but can anyone give me a steer in Janet and John language. Happy to buy software if necessary as it's become a challenge.

Frank
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 22:25   #15
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
Can anyone, using non techie words of one syllable, tell me how to transfer vinyl music onto a USB stick that I can play in my V90 and be able to identify/select the individual albums. I wouldn't care about the play order.

I've got Windows 10, an Ion USB turntable and EZ Vinyl Tape Converter software.

I can download vinyl into my laptop using EZ Vin............. which saves it in Music and then seems to put it into I Tunes. After a fashion I can then save onto a USB stick that plays in the car. Sometimes it is displayed in the car as "track 1", "track 2" etc. Other times when I follow the same process (I think) it displays as "side1", "side 2". No matter what I do I'm not able to type album information into EZ or I Tunes and get it onto a USB stick that's readable by the car.

I realize that the above is garbled but can anyone give me a steer in Janet and John language. Happy to buy software if necessary as it's become a challenge.

Frank
I am guessing here, not seeing the files or the process you are going through, that this is something related to the ID3Tag information.

Without going into details (you can get the details here as well as many other places if you want to know them), the ID3Tag information is what is used by the Volvo (and other) media player to display the artist name, the album name, the track name and the track's graphical image, such as shown in this example

MN8 is the artist (actually that is wrong, but that is a different story). the Album Name is "Songs to Live and Die By" and the Track is "No Way Back". you can also see the graphic in the top left. The "Now Playing" view shows it all much better i think, i just don't have a picture of that to hand

the ID3 Tags hold a lot more information, but that is not important here.

The Volvo media player appears to use the ID3 Tag info in a way a lot of people (me included) find odd. But it uses it how it uses it, so we have to put up with it.

I do not know the EZ Vin software, but i would have thought there would be some way of getting it to include the relevant ID3 Tag info on your converted music. I'll take a look through the manual to see if i can find any hints

Other than that, you can manually edit the ID3 Tag info yourself. There are lots of programs that can do that - personally i use MP3Tag, though there are others out there. I would not class it at "Janet & John" level , but it is not too bad for basic editing.

Though it is very powerful and can really help you classify and organise your music collection if you take the time to learn its more advanced features

Not sure if this clarifies or confuses things for you

Last edited by Jcbrown; Dec 22nd, 2017 at 22:31.
Jcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 17:51   #16
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
I am guessing here, not seeing the files or the process you are going through, that this is something related to the ID3Tag information.

Without going into details (you can get the details here as well as many other places if you want to know them), the ID3Tag information is what is used by the Volvo (and other) media player to display the artist name, the album name, the track name and the track's graphical image, such as shown in this example

MN8 is the artist (actually that is wrong, but that is a different story). the Album Name is "Songs to Live and Die By" and the Track is "No Way Back". you can also see the graphic in the top left. The "Now Playing" view shows it all much better i think, i just don't have a picture of that to hand

the ID3 Tags hold a lot more information, but that is not important here.

The Volvo media player appears to use the ID3 Tag info in a way a lot of people (me included) find odd. But it uses it how it uses it, so we have to put up with it.

I do not know the EZ Vin software, but i would have thought there would be some way of getting it to include the relevant ID3 Tag info on your converted music. I'll take a look through the manual to see if i can find any hints

Other than that, you can manually edit the ID3 Tag info yourself. There are lots of programs that can do that - personally i use MP3Tag, though there are others out there. I would not class it at "Janet & John" level , but it is not too bad for basic editing.

Though it is very powerful and can really help you classify and organise your music collection if you take the time to learn its more advanced features

Not sure if this clarifies or confuses things for you
Thanks for that information (I think!) Now my head really hurts! Seriously, thanks for all your effort. I'm visiting family over Chistmas where there are several spotty youths. ( great nephews). Maybe they can translate.

Best wishes and have a good Christmas

Frank
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boatie For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 13:57   #17
Jcbrown

Hopefully the "spotty youfs" will be able to explain it better.

Another way, which hopefully may help:

Each music file has a "Post-It note" on it. On that "Post-It Note" is written the Name of the Artist, the name of the Album and the name of the Track, plus some other stuff (not important here).

The information on each "Post-It note" has to be written in a specific way in order that it can be displayed on whatever is playing it Volvo Sensus in this case.

The software you are using (EZ Vinyl) to convert your Vinyl records to files you can play from a USB should have some way of letting you specify what is on each "Post-It note". Exactly what it can (and cannot) do, how to do it, etc I do not know, as I have never used EX Vinyl, sorry.

If it does not allow you to manually specify the Artist, the Album and Track names to be written to the "Post-It note", or it cannot look this up for you, then you could use something such as the MP3Tag software (or others) to write the information on the "Post-It notes" yourself.

Hope that is more "Janet & John" and does not confuse further. Enjoy your Christmas
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 10:20   #18
steladamo

Quote:

if you want to be very bored, here is the link to the doc I created when this was first asked. But it is long and boring - don't say I didn't warn you

Playlists
Amazing work and at least we can listen to the music we want in the order we like it. It is a petty that Sensus cannot simply read the folders and just browse through these folders.
steladamo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steladamo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 18:13   #19
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by steladamo View Post
It is a petty that Sensus cannot simply read the folders and just browse through these folders.
Now wouldn't that be nice

Back in Mar '17 I met with a number of representatives from Volvo head office. This was one of the specific items I raised with them.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 16:53   #20
paulod

Thread resurrection

I've just been trying to sort playlists and been using Winamp to manage the usb stick which has worked for playlists of the same artist fine.
My music is stored in Band/Artist name folder, then sub folders of each album, forgot to check where the playlist file was saved and it's back in the car now.
Will try with a random playlist next (different artists, folders etc) and report back in here if it works.