Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aircon died shortly after a re-gas?

Views : 475

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2019, 10:57   #1
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Default Aircon died shortly after a re-gas?

Two weeks ago I had my aircon re-gassed at a local garage as it wasn't cooling at all. For a few days after it was great, really cold. Then I noticed a bit of a whining noise that seemed to occur when the aircon was on and the engine was idling.

Now I'm not getting any noise and the aircon is no longer cooling at all. In fact, when turning on/off the aircon I'm not even noticing a change in air flow like I did before.

Any idea what could have occurred here? Before going back to the garage I'm trying to get an idea for if it could have been just caused by the re-gas? Could they have done something wrong? Or just a coincidence?
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 11:06   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I'm picking the AC clutch has failed.

The clutch might be having to clutch harder now that the system is re-gassed and pressurized.
By all means they should check the system pressure, but do not be surprised at a failed clutch.
You cannot do much about the clutch other than replace it... or re-shim it if you want....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 16:28   #3
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I'm picking the AC clutch has failed.

The clutch might be having to clutch harder now that the system is re-gassed and pressurized.
By all means they should check the system pressure, but do not be surprised at a failed clutch.
You cannot do much about the clutch other than replace it... or re-shim it if you want....
Thanks, that's very helpful. I've located the aircon clutch and it's not spinning at all, despite aircon on and the engine only just being started.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 18:02   #4
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I'd be inclined to agree with Swiss, the compressor may not have liked being awoken from it's slumber with new gas in the system, I'm unsure of these cars specifically but it's not unheard of in general.
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 18:47   #5
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

I guess it rather depends upon what you mean by 'died'.

It might be that topping it up & using it has shown up a leak & the fluid's gone.

Or perhaps as has been said, getting back to using it has caused the pump or another component to die out.

If you check on google / you tube you'll find some videos that show you how to check whether the air con's clutch is engaging (IIRC this can wear and therefore it doesn't engage correctly any longer)

You'll need someone to switch on & off the aircon whilst you look under the bonnet, the videos will show you what to look for.

As has been mentioned, the wear can be adjusted for by shimming, but that might not be the problem?
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 17:48   #6
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Thanks, doesn't look like it is engaging at all, not seeing any motion in the clutch. I've measured the clutch gap with a feeler gauge and it is about 0.8mm which I believe is twice what it should be.

I may try poking it with a stick to see if it engages just so that I know for sure that the gap is the issue and if it is, I think I'm going to try the zip tie fix first, rather than having to buy a clutch tool to properly shim it.

Will let you know how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcwacky For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 19:30   #7
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Sounds like you've done the check that's in the videos.

IIRC there's a 'fix' whereby you can somehow reduce that gap.

I recollect something to do with a cable tie, but TBH I don't remember any more than that.

There's a video channel by a American who puts up a lot of vids on Volvo 850's and I think that's where I saw it mentioned (I used to have an 850 so watched a few of his vids).

Perhaps looking on the 850 forum here might offer some suggestions.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 13:41   #8
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

So, I tried poking the clutch with a stick to get it to spin like it does in the YouTube videos, but the clutch wouldn't spin, I'd just hear a scraping noise from something spinning behind it that I was pushing it against.

If I push it with the engine off it does rotate, so it's not seized.

I also tried poking the aircon filler valve and while there was a small initial quick hiss, it doesn't sound to me like there is gas in the system, so guessing all this points to a leak somewhere?

If so, will take it back to the garage to look into further.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 19:13   #9
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

They should be able to inject the system with a coloured dye to check for leaks.

Also, I've read on forums that some people (usually us owners not garages) have refilled systems at too high a pressure and blown seals.

Not saying they've done this, but the refill could have shown up where there was a poor seal somewhere.