Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Returning to car to find engine running.

Views : 2535

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2019, 10:30   #1
Mc Lovin

Default Returning to car to find engine running.

I've had my 2019 V90CC for about a month and a half. Twice now I have dropped my son at nursery and come out to find the car engine running. I think I don't turn it off properly and then don't manage to lock it for some reason. The engine is off when I get out but I think it starts itself again to preserve battery, like it does if you're just sat in it.

Surely the car should realize the key is nowhere near and just shut down instead of starting the engine. I'm assuming someone could jump and drive away.

Last edited by Mc Lovin; Jun 24th, 2019 at 11:47.
Mc Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 10:49   #2
Wizzpop
Master Member

Hmm!
Are you sure you have put the gear lever into Park? It is possible that you have pulled up, the Auto brake has come on and Start/Stop has stopped the engine. Not sure what happens when you open the door though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 11:08   #3
Mc Lovin

I'm pretty sure it's in park. When I open the door everything seems to switch off, but if I forget to lock the car the engine starts up again on it's own.

I'll have a little play on my drive and see if I can replicate it. I think it's just the start/stop has engaged so after a while to preserve battery the engine fires up again.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 11:28   #4
Billggski

It may be that you need to stop the engine by pressing the button. The stop/start will fool you into thinking it's off, but even if you take the key out, it's still "on".
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billggski For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 11:32   #5
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Lovin View Post
I'm pretty sure it's in park. When I open the door everything seems to switch off, but if I forget to lock the car the engine starts up again on it's own.

I'll have a little play on my drive and see if I can replicate it. I think it's just the start/stop has engaged so after a while to preserve battery the engine fires up again.
There have been some reports (not specifically Volvo) of people getting fumes from their car, putting it in the garage, but as per the OP, the car starts itself, likely due to start/stop.

However it has been said, I think on this forum that start/stop will not function if the seatbelt and/or seat sensor isn't detected. But software being software, one guesses a bug might result in some of these safety checks not working right in some conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to tangey For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 11:32   #6
Chief inspector
Master Member

Are you sure youre twisting the stop/start switch before you exit? - Although this wont do anything other than flash up a message unless youre in park.

I’m pretty sure that stop-start is disabled as soon as you open the door and the engine keeps running. The car doesnt keep looking for the key, once its running no more is asked of the key.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 11:42   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Lovin View Post
I've had my 2019 V90CC for about a month and a half. Twice now I have dropped my son at nursery and come out to find the car engine running. I think I don't turn it off properly and then don't manage to lock it for some reason. The engine is off when I get out but I think it starts itself again to preserve battery, like it does if your just sat in it.

Surely the car should realize the key is nowhere near and just shut down instead of starting the engine. I'm assuming someone could jump and drive away.
I hope you dont be offended by this, I have no idea of your technical expertise, but is it definitely the engine running? Sometimes the cooling fan runs on and this can be as loud as the engine running. I was accused by someone once of leaving my car running outside the villlage shop but it actually the fan running.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 11:48   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

This can happen with the hybrid if you come to a stop and get out and lock it without "turning it off " ... the combustion engine comes in as the battery voltage reduces . There is a warning when you open the door however .
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 11:55   #9
Mc Lovin

I could be wrong but don't think it's the fan. I'm pretty sure I've twisted the switch so it's a bit worrying if I don't lock the car it may start. What if I had parked and gone shopping? My previous car was diesel so I had no problem knowing if the engine was running or not. I'll see how it goes and if it happens again make a note of gear position etc.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 12:41   #10
badonkadonk

I think you must have stopped the car (park or drive with auto brake on), and the engine has been stopped automatically by the start/stop mode. You have not turned the knob when in park to "fully" shut down tha car. After you have left the car the engine has restarted when the battery voltage has fallen a bit.

Like you, I'm surprised that the car is not designed to check that the key is not still present before re-starting the engine in start/stop, but I've seen this happening before (my father did exactly this with his new Renault), so I believe it's possible and not only with Volvo.
badonkadonk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badonkadonk For This Useful Post: