Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing the front bumper cover

Views : 160872

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 12:50   #11
tingy
VOC Member

any1 know if the same method works on the facelift cars t aswell or is it differant??
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 21:32   #12
gareth71
VOC Member

Funny you should ask that - I was talking about bulb changing, bumper removal, etc. with a Volvo technician last week, and mentioned removing the bumper (mine's an '05 facelift V70). He said that the bolts are hidden behind the 'chrome' trim, which has to be prised off, and doing so more often than not cracks it so it's not recommended.
gareth71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 17:01   #13
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Fear not, Capitaine Homme de Caverne - I think I'm going to find it useful in the coming few days - my driverside headlamp lens is going to have to come off (condensation issue) for a sealcheck.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 20:54   #14
apat

Thanks for the info. Does this same procedure suit 04 S60. Previous owner gave the front bumper a knock and now the bumper return pops out on the drivers side. I can push it back in flush but after a few miles out again. I want to take a look to see if I can fix.
Thanks
apat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 09:29   #15
captcaveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by apat View Post
Thanks for the info. Does this same procedure suit 04 S60. Previous owner gave the front bumper a knock and now the bumper return pops out on the drivers side. I can push it back in flush but after a few miles out again. I want to take a look to see if I can fix.
Thanks
I think it does yes.
captcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 21:44   #16
rozza

I too will have to replace a fog light soon. Many thanks
rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 17:44   #17
stablehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozza View Post
Actually it will be of use to me in a few days as I'm going to try and replace a fog lamp and I understand the bumper needs to come off to achieve this.

Many thanks.

Also, please remember that this sort of info is often referred to many moons after it is posted!
Just in case anyone comes across this thred searching for fog light replacement (as I did...) front fog light bulb replacement doesn't require bumper removal (XC70 2002). There is a smallish panel underneath the bumper which can be removed to give access to the back of the fog light.
stablehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 22:40   #18
Gounders
Gounders

Smile Well Done

See, as your mum always told you, be patient.
Thanks for the post, I have to get in there to replace my bonnet catches and for the life of me couldnt figure what was holding the mechanism in place, I took all the bolts and the clips from the front crossmember and that had no effect.
So next stage is to remove the complete front cover, thanks for the info, I didnt know where the fasteners were, can you clarify what you said about the fasteners under the wheel arch please.

there you are now do you feel wanted and loved.

Gounders

Volvo series 1, 2, 7, 9, 850, v7o but not all at once
Gounders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 19:00   #19
vback

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcaveman View Post
I have been asked to post this, again this job was how I did it on a s60 2002.
first remove the black trim on the bumper using a wide blade screw driver or similar tool be gentle!!!!.
Undo the bolts x2 holding the bumper cover (12mm socket)
inside the wheel arches you will see a torx screw ( sorry can't remember the size) undo this untill you have just a few threads left holding it on then push the whole screw in, (this pushes the catch holding the bumper cover) which releases the rear edge.
Now look above the grill you will see 5 I think push button catches.
Push the centres with a small screw driver and remove the catches.
The Bumper cover should now be ready for removal dont forget to undo the fog light wires I think thats about it. ( always be gentle)

If you need to remove the headlight you will now need to undo the black plastic assembly which holds the bumper rear catch, (if you have got this far you will see what I mean) quite hard to explain without a picture, 2 torx (can't remember the size sorry) and 2 bolts (10mm socket).
The head lights are held in by 4 bolts (10mm) I refer to the spanner / socket required and not the bolt diam to make things easier for you.
Again next time I do a job I will photograph it to make it easier for everybody.
As I said at the start this is the way I did the job it is not set in stone but use only as a guide.
As with any job in the motor industry do not attempt if you have any doubts of your own capability.
Having said that its a doddle to do and should take no more then 10 / 15 minutes.
Hope this guide has been of use to somebody.
Wheel hub to do this weekend I will post a guide after if it will be of any use to anybody.
All the best Cpt.....
captcaveman ---- someone said this will be fed on with gratitude for years, he was right, just found the site and your excellent post (adapting for a V70 bumber) via google.
Many thanks ! its is a kind of immortality you have achieved.
vback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 02:15   #20
agallo

Default Removing the front bumber cover

Hi there,

My head light cracked and I searched for steps on removing the lens. I came across this video on how to remove the bumper cover. I hope it helps. Haven't tried to remove yet - but will soon. I hope it works.

Cheers!

http://www.ehow.com/video_5359903_re...t-volvo-s.html