Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Delta link bush replacement - new bolts

Views : 2832

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2023, 12:01   #21
brickman
Premier Member

Did mine again (last about 6 years, 120k) end of last year, utter pig as the inner bush socket were likely original and never been changed, both had a small amount of play, really tiny, but the issue was the bolt that goes through was galvonically corroded into the bush and delta arm so impossible to adjust that side of the car. 2 hours of cutting, prizing and heating and beating to get it out without scarring the alloy delta arms. Did it but hell of a job.
Use anti seize grease on all dissimilar metals people. And new bolts, or at least not 25 year old 300-500k old bolts, death awaits those who don't use common sense*

*There are times where reuse of a bolt is fine. But on this job for the £2 a bolt for a nice shiny new one, really worth not changing?
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 16:26   #22
ITSv40
VOC Member

A couple of posts have mentioned the alloy arms. Now I know there are differences between S/V and C70, namely solid mounts in the front subframe instead of squishy ones and a wider rear track on the C. The delta arms on my C70 are galvanised steel, did the S/V really have alloy arms?
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 18:29   #23
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
A couple of posts have mentioned the alloy arms. Now I know there are differences between S/V and C70, namely solid mounts in the front subframe instead of squishy ones and a wider rear track on the C. The delta arms on my C70 are galvanised steel, did the S/V really have alloy arms?
Not that I'm aware of, all galvanised steel used here to the best of my knowledge, only difference here being the wider links/arms on the C70 as you correctly say.

Perhaps some confusion with regards to the early 850 (alter 1) which had the alloy front lower control arms? These also had removable ball joints which you see listed on various parts sites.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 08:54   #24
SteveSarre
Premier Member

My mistake.

On a 1999 V70 FWD (and presumably other similar V70s and C70s) the trailing arms (where the splined bolt goes) are steel (just tested with a magnet), not aluminium.

Don't know where I got that idea from.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 11:17   #25
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
My mistake.

On a 1999 V70 FWD (and presumably other similar V70s and C70s) the trailing arms (where the splined bolt goes) are steel (just tested with a magnet), not aluminium.

Don't know where I got that idea from.

Steve
An easy mistake - we all do it at times. It was just that two posters mentioned alloy so got me wondering as I am not familiar with the S/V's.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 11:18   #26
Luxobarge
Premier Member

This is enlightening - judging by the appearance I'd always thought that they were aluminium too, but you're right - actually galvanised steel makes more sense from a strength (and cost!) point of view.

Doesn't stop that splined bolt being a sod to get out though eh?
Old May 15th, 2023, 14:41   #27
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Hi,

Had a go at removing the delta link bushes on mine today, managed to get the three smaller bolts out of support bracket also the longer bolt which runs through the bush its self and the smaller splined one out, i can not seem to get the delta link bush end off the car ( help) i am guessing this needs a good prying?
i have managed to get the three smaller bolts from our local nut and bolt place, but he said he could not find a replacement for the longer one, can anyone confirm that the bolts holding the delta link bush are 977509 ( longer bolt) and 987341 for the splined one.

Cheers Craig

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2023, 17:08   #28
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Yes, those are the correct part numbers.

My old bush came out without too much difficulty with the aid of heat and careful use of the puller tool. The hardest part for me was shifting the splined bolt.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2023, 17:10   #29
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Is it easy enough to get the new bushes in?

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2023, 19:19   #30
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I didn't have any great difficulty but I did have the advantage of having the Volvo tool for the job.

The key to it seems to be the following:

Make sure the socket into which the bush fits is as clean as possible.

A little silicone or other suitable grease on the plastic part of the bush will help.

Make sure you get it the right way up!

Push on the metal part of the bush somehow to drive it into the socket trying to keep it straight. Some folk just hammer them in. It will probably go in in fits and starts and you may end up having to 'walk' it in from side to side slightly.

It's fully home when you can get the splined bolt through to keep it in place.

Hope this is of some help

Martin.
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post: