Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 Should I Buy One?

Views : 1037

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2010, 22:46   #1
zaria123

Default S80 Should I Buy One?

I have been looking for a large automatic car, and have found a 2003 Volvo S80 2.4 SE Auto. 47,000 miles, Red Metallic, Cream leather, Full Volvo Serice History etc for £3500

The last Volvo I owned was in the '80's when I had a 340 series, and a 240 Estate, but know very little about the more recent models.

When looking at a S80 are there any partuclar weakness points or issues to look for?

Any info or advice would be appreciated as Im going to look at the ar in more detail tomorrow afternoon (friday).

Cheers
Alan

Last edited by zaria123; Sep 16th, 2010 at 22:56.
zaria123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 23:00   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

main issues are electrical problems (or at least warning lights/messages) - do not accept anything; and can be a bit noisy from the front suspension.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 23:52   #3
GMad
Premier Member

In my opinion that's in the region of 2k more expensive than it;s worth..
I too was tempted by an S80 to replace my old V70. In the end I settled for an S60, newer and a sh1t load less money than thirty five hundred quid.
Shop around, you will find a better value car.
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 00:08   #4
Chesterman

Mileage is attractive if genuine, (check history & MOTs,) but expensive. There is little demand for these cars and so price is depressed.
Chesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 08:46   #5
Bernard333
Premier Member

According to Haynes the S80 is the same platform as a V70 which I dont really understand as I thought the S80 was slightly wider , maybe they mean its on the same distance between front and rear road wheels ? Anyway it shares many common parts with the S60/V70 so many of the problems you read about these also happen to the S80 . The S80 is the most underated car on the road if you like big comfortable cars and its an auto so even better , a colleague of mine chose an S80 over an S60 as at the time they could be leased for the same cost even though they had a much higher list price . The used prices are rock bottom , I agree its way over priced even with the low miles .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 09:17   #6
Hinckley

It does sound a tad (1k) dear, for that money it would have to be very high spec and very tidy, if not mint with as said full proof of mileage.

It's a good thing there is little demand for these marvelous cars, they make bl**dy cheap luxury motoring for those of us that like them, but beware maintenance costs are high and if and when they do go wrong they can be pricey to fix even if your good with the spanners, after all don't forget they were rather expensive when new.

And as for electrical problems - my 2.5T 80 70k, in the last 10k (10 months) - not one, nothing, no faults as in none.

That can't be said for my last new shape 80 - lots of electrical faults some never cured and a few mechanical ones too - poor thing, I did like it.

Happy motoring.
Last 2009 Merc CLS
Now 2004 S80 2.5T SE + Freelander! (BOGOF!)
Hinckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 09:36   #7
Dynosaur
GoldMember

For that money, you could get something of similar vintage but less likely to cost you money.
You may get lucky, but I've encountered very few ex/owners who haven't had more than a fair share of aggravation with them.
If you do buy it and do your own spanner-wielding, don't buy cheap parts on-line - use a good factor.
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 13:50   #8
doc_power

Default Volvo S80

Hi Alan

If this car is located in Bangor, Ebay has it for £2,800, with no bids at present.

Looks a nice motor with Xenon lights, but if a bulb goes, look for about £130 to replace at MD (Main Dealer).

The forum is the best place to hunt for tips, but my advice for the main parts would be as follows:
1. Timing Belt and Tensioner due after 8 years
2. Front Control Arms - Bushing goes- A lot of noise from the front
3. ETM -Throttle module - Poor runing and cuts out
4. Electrics - Just make sure everything works.

Other than that, a Grand comfy car to drive.

Good luck

Doc_power
doc_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 14:35   #9
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_power View Post
Hi Alan

If this car is located in Bangor, Ebay has it for £2,800, with no bids at present.

Looks a nice motor with Xenon lights, but if a bulb goes, look for about £130 to replace at MD (Main Dealer).

The forum is the best place to hunt for tips, but my advice for the main parts would be as follows:
1. Timing Belt and Tensioner due after 8 years
2. Front Control Arms - Bushing goes- A lot of noise from the front
3. ETM -Throttle module - Poor runing and cuts out
4. Electrics - Just make sure everything works.

Other than that, a Grand comfy car to drive.

Good luck

Doc_power
Add front shocks + mounts & steering rack to the list