Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Tyre Poll

Views : 33598

Replies : 208

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you slapping on winter tyres?
Yes 176 56.23%
No 137 43.77%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 4th, 2010, 13:49   #31
Brodick
Master Member

As I have said previously my car coped fine with the std summer 4wd tyre during the first part of this year where we had deep deep snow on more than one occasion when I finished a nightshift I was driving home on untreated roads with heavy snowfall on them and the road into where i live had 6+ inches on it many times. may once or twice i detected an small slip in traction which the 4wd system sorted out. I will not be putting winter tyres on. Very few if any vehicles at work will be getting winter tyre put on - I'm talking the 4wd vehicles here (I work for the police)

I understand people who live in countries who can expect much more snow than the uk changing tyres (of course it is law in certain countries) however for those in the uk unless you are going to be driving down backroads or offroad then I do not see the need.

That is my opinion

One last thing I would say is I have driven through fields covered in snow in previus years in a Honda CR-V with summer tyres on and whilst it struggles at times it coped very well and never got stuck.

Just a thought.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 14:24   #32
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

I live in central London. I have never in my life considered winter tyres. Who does? Last year, I lost traction at very low speed negotiating a roundabout in my FWD estate. I hit the kerb. I was taking my kids to school. No one got hurt.

But it could have been very different. For the sake of £600.

To each their own I guess. Hence the poll.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 14:34   #33
mauricef

Default Put my tyres in store

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Garage?

Also, alot of the tyre places can store them for you for a fee.

In Sweden (and here in Germany) there are lots of "tyre garages" that you can store your summer/winter tyres in when not used.
Now changed from 18" Pirelli on Zephyrus to.

4x4 Continental WinterContact 235/65R17 Segin. Wheels are far to heavy for me to change every season so I let my local Volvo dealer change and store them well worth the it. A few pics taken today.
2011 XC60 D3 fwd geartronic Terra Bronze deluxe version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT6476.jpg (253.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg PICT6477.jpg (298.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg PICT6478.jpg (361.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg PICT6480.jpg (333.9 KB, 65 views)
mauricef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 14:43   #34
Matteus XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post
Now changed from 18" Pirelli on Zephyrus to.

4x4 Continental WinterContact 235/65R17 Segin. Wheels are far to heavy for me to change every season so I let my local Volvo dealer change and store them well worth the it. A few pics taken today.
2011 XC60 D3 fwd geartronic Terra Bronze deluxe version.
Look good. In stockholm, they're a must. In the SE of England, more debatable IMO given costs of new wheels, storage etc. Like others, I'll risk it.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 14:58   #35
mauricef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 View Post
Look good. In stockholm, they're a must. In the SE of England, more debatable IMO given costs of new wheels, storage etc. Like others, I'll risk it.

I lived in Surrey for many years as a young man and no one talk about winter tyres but now living in the far north it´s a different matter.

2011 XC60 D3 fwd geartronic Terra Bronze
mauricef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 15:56   #36
Matteus XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post
I lived in Surrey for many years as a young man and no one talk about winter tyres but now living in the far north it´s a different matter.

2011 XC60 D3 fwd geartronic Terra Bronze
Makes sense. Presumably the fact that you have FWD (as opposed to AWD) makes the snow tyres even more of a requirement?
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 05:45   #37
rugrat

After the problems I had last year my tyres will be going back on soon
rugrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 10:41   #38
Matteus XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrat View Post
After the problems I had last year my tyres will be going back on soon
You drive without any tyres in the summer? That's a clever trick. Presumably the ride 's a bit bumpy though?
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 10:39   #39
DadTo2

I'm seriously considering winter tyres - I've been reading up on them for my mother who frequently gets cut off in winter.

It seems that the real reason for changing to winter tyres between October and April is not so much snow and ice (though, when it comes I want all the grip I can get!) as the tyre flexibility at temperatures of 7 deg and below.

That said has anyone any experience of Volvo's recently announced winter tyre programme?
DadTo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 11:33   #40
Ronnie No1

had fulda krystal tyres on my 850 last winter, gent behind did`nt wife and I got up ice coverd hill into pub , wheels never spun once , car behind never made it , wife and I were sitting eating lunch, other mans wife was still trying to shove his car up the hill , the krystals are goiod in wet weather as well,third winter for back tyres which are as good as new had to replace the front two after about 30 months
Ronnie No1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie No1 For This Useful Post: