Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent 'Anti Skid Service Required' - V70

Views : 446

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2022, 10:40   #1
NullaDave

Default Intermittent 'Anti Skid Service Required' - V70

Hi All,

I have started getting the 'Anti-Skid Service Required' warning show up but it then goes off after a little while. It seems to come on for no apparent reason, makes absolutely no difference to the handling and then usually when I next start the car, the message has gone.

I've read loads of posts on this forum but not had any definitive answer for an intermittent message. I have a standard OBD fault reader and there are no codes when the message is active. I don't have a VIDA reader though.

My guess is it's a faulty sensor, but could anyone hazard a guess as to which one? I'm considering selling the V70 soon but am not comfortable selling it knowing there is this issue even if it is of no concern.
NullaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 11:14   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

total shot in the dark, maybe a wheel speed sensor? or more likely a corroded / cracked reluctor ring on the end of the drive shaft.. it's a common issue

https://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/volv...sor-ring/ABS06

possibly if intermittant maybe a wire brushing and cleanup might stop it? but by the time you done all the disassembly it'd be daft not to replace it really

bear in mind of course that is a guess and as you already know the only real way to be sure is by plugging VIDA in

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Sep 6th, 2022 at 11:24.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 11:56   #3
Roy V70 850
Much too Senior

Had the same problem, it would come on at random, then a week would go by before it came on again. However, I was able to read the codes at one point which pointed me to the rhs sensor. I checked this by unplugging it at the engine and checking with a multimeter. It was in the Mega Ohms which effectively is an open circuit.

It's easy to check the fronts. Not sure how easy it is to check the rears though.
Roy V70 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 12:15   #4
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Without VIDA you're running blind. We get the same thing intermittently - 2 messages simultaneously and VIDA tells me it is a signal to/from the ABS motor not being received. Sounds like a poor contact but I haven't got around to looking yet. If anyone has suggestions I would be grateful to know where to look.
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 20:31   #5
Auldgit
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullaDave View Post
Hi All,

I have started getting the 'Anti-Skid Service Required' warning show up but it then goes off after a little while. It seems to come on for no apparent reason, makes absolutely no difference to the handling and then usually when I next start the car, the message has gone.

I've read loads of posts on this forum but not had any definitive answer for an intermittent message. I have a standard OBD fault reader and there are no codes when the message is active. I don't have a VIDA reader though.

My guess is it's a faulty sensor, but could anyone hazard a guess as to which one? I'm considering selling the V70 soon but am not comfortable selling it knowing there is this issue even if it is of no concern.
Had this twice- first time it was a corroded/cracked reluctor ring, second was a front wheel sensor. The sensor prob was the worst because it kept going into limp mode. A real pain. Nowadays I do a quick wire brush and ADF (?) spray on each ring before the winter- must get round to it soon.
Auldgit is offline   Reply With Quote