Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 BLIS retrofit

Views : 2624

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2020, 03:10   #1
destone

Question XC90 BLIS retrofit

All XC90s sold in the U.S. have BLIS installed as default, yet, in the UK, not even the Inscription Pro trim offers this unless you specifically ask for this at the point of factory order placement.

I bought a MY2018 XC90 Inscription which didn't have BLIS installed.

I researched on this and other forums, and the consensus seems to be that even if this is possible, the return on investment would be incredibly poor.

In my desperation I am reaching out one last time to the community as to should I give up on this for once and all?

Last edited by destone; Oct 14th, 2020 at 04:15.
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 07:54   #2
Snoodini

Whilst BLIS is a fantastic system, and should be standard IMO, it is not worth the extra work.

It would require installation of radar units in the rear bumper and replacement of wing mirrors assuming the wiring loom is already equipped for the signal for the mirror light, there further could be an ECU to install, and certainly software to install.

My guess would be that a dealer will tell you it is not possible to add.
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 11:38   #3
techwatcher
Master Member

I do not believe that it is possible to retrofit BLIS.

It's not listed on the Volvo Accessories site which is where it would be if it were do-able.

Even if it was possible I suspect the cost would be measured in thousands and IMO just not worth it.
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 13:51   #4
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by destone View Post
All XC90s sold in the U.S. have BLIS installed as default, yet, in the UK, not even the Inscription Pro trim offers this unless you specifically ask for this at the point of factory order placement.

I bought a MY2018 XC90 Inscription which didn't have BLIS installed.

I researched on this and other forums, and the consensus seems to be that even if this is possible, the return on investment would be incredibly poor.

In my desperation I am reaching out one last time to the community as to should I give up on this for once and all?
I take it you have tried a car with BLIS? As others said it would sound like major amount of extra parts and software updating the dealer is very unlikely to want to support.

It's very much each to their own but I have it on my car as it's part of whatever pack has the pilot assist but to be brutally honest it seams a total waste of time unless you have movement issues - whats wrong with shoulder checking/being aware of your surroundings?

Also on my car I notice it gives the "all clear" often when I personally feel there's cars too close, although that might be me doing too caucious, in addition there's no allowance for closing speeds so if a vehicle is closing quickly you could easily pull into it's path without BLIS complaining.

As a support system if it were fitted as standard I suppose it's belts and braces but I would say it was worth any additional outlay, I've never had it before and I can't say I'd bother again.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 20:08   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadan View Post
I take it you have tried a car with BLIS? As others said it would sound like major amount of extra parts and software updating the dealer is very unlikely to want to support.

It's very much each to their own but I have it on my car as it's part of whatever pack has the pilot assist but to be brutally honest it seams a total waste of time unless you have movement issues - whats wrong with shoulder checking/being aware of your surroundings?

Also on my car I notice it gives the "all clear" often when I personally feel there's cars too close, although that might be me doing too caucious, in addition there's no allowance for closing speeds so if a vehicle is closing quickly you could easily pull into it's path without BLIS complaining.

As a support system if it were fitted as standard I suppose it's belts and braces but I would say it was worth any additional outlay, I've never had it before and I can't say I'd bother again.
The thing BLIS gives you which I do like is cross traffic alert. Very useful for car parks although i notice sometimes it takes maybe 10 seconds after starting to boot up. This is not ideal as mostly if you haven't reversed in the space, you boot up the car, then immediately go to reverse.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 12:15   #6
Begonia

I find myself now looking at my vehicle speed on BLIS, rather than on the car's speedo'.

Personally, I wouldn't be without it.
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 12:27   #7
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post
I find myself now looking at my vehicle speed on BLIS, rather than on the car's speedo'.

Personally, I wouldn't be without it.
Sorry I don’t understand this? Where does blis display the speed?
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 12:45   #8
BlueDevil

I'd say he mixed up BLIS and HUD.
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 15:48   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

BLIS. blind spot information system
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 20:32   #10
Snoodini

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadan View Post

For me, it absolutely does not replace being aware of your surroundings using your own senses however is is a very good complement to it. I have on a few occasions checked over my shoulder, started to manoeuvre and then noticed BLIS madly blinking at me, and sure enough, it was right, I was wrong.

I think any driver support system concerning safety where available is a must these days. Just another tool in the chest for safer driving for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
The thing BLIS gives you which I do like is cross traffic alert. Very useful for car parks although i notice sometimes it takes maybe 10 seconds after starting to boot up. This is not ideal as mostly if you haven't reversed in the space, you boot up the car, then immediately go to reverse.....
I have never experienced delays with CTA being ready and indeed this is a very good feature.

BLIS really comes into its own with steering out of harms way when moving out into the path of an oncoming car from behind. It only does this as a last resort. Two times since I've owned this car it has nudged me back as I was moving into the path of an incoming faster car. I remember one of these occasions clearly. I was entering a motorway from a slip road which merges just after the crest of a hill. It was pitch black and I did not see any car coming. I started to move out when a much faster car appeared very quickly. The car nudged me away just enough to realise what was happening, allow the car to pass and then move out.
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote