Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking sensors replaced but!!!!! still no-go..

Views : 1864

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2022, 10:11   #11
Lancee
Premier Member

"My results were more boring than yours". Pam Ayres, boring? How very dare you !
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 17:31   #12
Auldgit
Master Member

Well the old sensors seem to check out ok, at least they're all giving the same resistance reading so either they're all duff or all ok, and I'm thinking the latter. So, 90% it's the module, which I've found tucked away by the spare wheel, not enough slack in the loom to do anything with it easily, but can be done I'm sure. BUT I've been looking at a few more posts, including one from CLAN(!) that seem to suggest that a replacement one will need coding to the car. If I'm going to have to do that then I might as well get it checked out first by a dealer.... Bit annoying to say the least after all this effort but Hey Ho...
Auldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 19:09   #13
Lancee
Premier Member

CLAN is a highly knowledgeable and respected source, at least by me, so it sounds like coding is a neccessity.

Providing the sensors you bought weren't expensive, then I guess you're not into it for too much so far, other than your time (and ours!).

Main dealer will no doubt be expensive, unfortunate that there is no access to a code reader for you. Vida would be the way to go.

I guess, for you, a code read at the dealer is the next step. If subsequently confirmed as the culprit a replacement PAM from them will likely be extortionate, plus the coding. Perhaps ask for an estimate before proceeding any further.

Do perhaps try a long, maybe overnight battery disconnect. It won't cost anything and may reset the module communication?

Also found below;

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/p...et-how.576519/

Not sure of its efficacy, but again no financial cost involved.

Good luck, keep us updated !

Last edited by Lancee; Sep 6th, 2022 at 19:21.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 21:12   #14
john493
Spannering since birth

When I bought my 2006 V70, the parking assist had been uninstalled in s/w as they were not working & bringing up fault codes.
So I had the s/w reinstalled then found 2 faulty reversing sensors; once I replaced the sensors, still didn't work & VIDA was coming up with a PAM communication error.
I looked at the PAM and it had a date stamp of 2018 so clearly was not the original. Turns out the PAM was the incorrect part no for my car. I fitted a used one from ebay with the correct part no & all worked ok.
You need to scan the car with VIDA to get all the code info. Generic code readers are of limited use.

What year is your XC70 and what is the part no. of the fitted PAM ? There are quite a few different versions of the PAM & they are not interchangable.

https://www.volvowholesalepartsdirec.../31341383.html
(GS Addict)

Last edited by john493; Sep 6th, 2022 at 21:34.
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 20:03   #15
Auldgit
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
CLAN is a highly knowledgeable and respected source, at least by me, so it sounds like coding is a neccessity.

Providing the sensors you bought weren't expensive, then I guess you're not into it for too much so far, other than your time (and ours!).

Main dealer will no doubt be expensive, unfortunate that there is no access to a code reader for you. Vida would be the way to go.

I guess, for you, a code read at the dealer is the next step. If subsequently confirmed as the culprit a replacement PAM from them will likely be extortionate, plus the coding. Perhaps ask for an estimate before proceeding any further.

Do perhaps try a long, maybe overnight battery disconnect. It won't cost anything and may reset the module communication?

Also found below;

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/p...et-how.576519/

Not sure of its efficacy, but again no financial cost involved.

Good luck, keep us updated !
Will do.
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 20:23   #16
Auldgit
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john493 View Post
When I bought my 2006 V70, the parking assist had been uninstalled in s/w as they were not working & bringing up fault codes.
So I had the s/w reinstalled then found 2 faulty reversing sensors; once I replaced the sensors, still didn't work & VIDA was coming up with a PAM communication error.
I looked at the PAM and it had a date stamp of 2018 so clearly was not the original. Turns out the PAM was the incorrect part no for my car. I fitted a used one from ebay with the correct part no & all worked ok.
You need to scan the car with VIDA to get all the code info. Generic code readers are of limited use.

What year is your XC70 and what is the part no. of the fitted PAM ? There are quite a few different versions of the PAM & they are not interchangable.

https://www.volvowholesalepartsdirec.../31341383.html
Mine is an '07 XC70, last of the P2s, the fitted PAM has a number 30765690 stamped on it. I'm assuming it's the original as I've had the car for ten years, although most of the searches on this part number return results for the XC90.

I'm just looking into the re-coding issue if I buy an Ebay one. Going to contact my local independent to see if they will oblige and at what cost. Cheers.
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 20:36   #17
john493
Spannering since birth

Mine was used off eBay & no coding was needed - plug & play.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 20:46   #18
Auldgit
Master Member

Well that's really interesting. Might just take the chance then, there's one on now for £35. Cheers.
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 07:59   #19
Lancee
Premier Member

Perhaps try and find one with the same numbers as your existing ? Here is a link to an example one, possibly with similar numbering ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255515948...Bk9SR-ia8ZDkYA

Did you try the battery disconnect or swedespeed forum suggestion/s ?

It would be interesting to know if in your case these made any difference, and the result/s, even if negative, might be helpful to other forum members in the future ?

Last edited by Lancee; Sep 9th, 2022 at 08:05.
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 10:46   #20
Auldgit
Master Member

I've located one on Ebay with exactly the same part numbers as mine (although from an '06 XC90) for £28, so I've bought it. Post permitting (it's in N.Ireland) I should have it next week. I'll try simply substituting the "new" for the old first before anything else and see what happens. Fingers XD...! Keep you posted...
The Following User Says Thank You to Auldgit For This Useful Post: