Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Your Thoughts Welcome ..... Engine Revs Playing-up

Views : 2688

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2023, 15:59   #41
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I put those Phillips bulbs in my Clio and they lasted less than 6 months before they both blew within a week of each other. If you read the small print it says they're designed to last 250 hours which for me at an hour for commuting plus extra bits and pieces on the weekends or if I got stuck in traffic they soon wore out.

I highly recommend these from Halfords, I found the whiter light made it much easier to see than the Philips ones.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs/h4-472-car-headlight-bulb-halfords-advanced-white5000-single-pack-719405.html?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=367c5610-f937-4c81-8609-f84582324cd6&istItemId=wrallpaxa&istBid=t&_$ja=tsi d:|cid:18030148076|agid:|tid:|crid:|nw:x|rnd:70520 20279218973085|dvc:m|adp:|mt:|loc:1006524&gad_sour ce=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqP2pBhDMARIsAJQ0CzpVAc6dQjAwEi0 sDCp13zPU-i9ng-IC6X4tutaFR6PuQUGsOAhnRfQaArGjEALw_wcB
Good shout Luke

Funnily enough I also fitted the same ones that Bob has listed and they also lasted about 7 months I reverted back to the standard bulbs even though the output is pretty bad
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 16:00   #42
griston64
Premier Member

Talking

Only £9 for Halfords to fit as well
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 19:01   #43
bob12
bob12

[QUOTE=360beast;2920669]I put those Phillips bulbs in my Clio and they lasted less than 6 months before they both blew within a week of each other. If you read the small print it says they're designed to last 250 hours which for me at an hour for commuting plus extra bits and pieces on the weekends or if I got stuck in traffic they soon wore out.

I highly recommend these from Halfords, I found the whiter light made it much easier to see than the Philips ones.

Thanks for the link Luke. I now seem to recall a year or so ago, maybe you, suggesting these Halford's bulbs. I have had the Philips bulbs lurking about for some while now but their short lifespan doesn't surprise me.

I will swap to Halford's or similar when the Philips die. Unfortunately, Halford's closed their local branch in Woking and I am now equi-distant between two branches several miles away. The cost of petrol no longer makes it sense to use them!!

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 19:20   #44
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
... I have given up trying to get the PCV oil separator out from the maze of pipework and wiring etc under the inlet manifold and cold start valve. Clearly, on original assembly it was fitted before the maze of associated 'stuff' underneath the intake manifold!
I had an horrendous problem with oil backpressure a few year ago.
Shelled out for a new separator from OEM Volvo, but the interesting bit is that I could remove the old one and fit the new one without taking apart the inlet manifold ... it's tricky but sliding and wiggling I got it done. Very good result it was too.
Maybe give it another go : plenty of bad stuff was happening because of the 30-year-old original and wrong oils...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 19:39   #45
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
I had an horrendous problem with oil backpressure a few year ago.
Shelled out for a new separator from OEM Volvo, but the interesting bit is that I could remove the old one and fit the new one without taking apart the inlet manifold ... it's tricky but sliding and wiggling I got it done. Very good result it was too.
Maybe give it another go : plenty of bad stuff was happening because of the 30-year-old original and wrong oils...
I've swapped umpteen PCV boxes on both 940's and my 740 without any problems whatsoever

Just undo wiggle and slide out. On certain 940's you might have to move some of the EGR but that's it.
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 20:45   #46
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

[QUOTE=bob12;2920715]
Quote:
I put those Phillips bulbs in my Clio and they lasted less than 6 months before they both blew within a week of each other. If you read the small print it says they're designed to last 250 hours which for me at an hour for commuting plus extra bits and pieces on the weekends or if I got stuck in traffic they soon wore out.

Thanks for the link Luke. I now seem to recall a year or so ago, maybe you, suggesting these Halford's bulbs. I have had the Philips bulbs lurking about for some while now but their short lifespan doesn't surprise me.

I will swap to Halford's or similar when the Philips die. Unfortunately, Halford's closed their local branch in Woking and I am now equi-distant between two branches several miles away. The cost of petrol no longer makes it sense to use them!!

Bob
It's a very simple equation, the brighter they are, the hotter they get. The hotter they get, the shorter the lifespan.

I was talking to a member of the loca constabulary a few years ago and she was telling me they use Nightbreakers in the police vehicles and usually, the lifespan was about 2 months.

The "problem" with Volvos of this general era is the DRLs bring on the dim-dip on most of them - while this runs the headlamp bulbs at reduced power, they're still in operation so using up their life.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 21:17   #47
bob12
bob12

[QUOTE=Laird Scooby;2920732]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post

.......... etc .........

The "problem" with Volvos of this general era is the DRLs bring on the dim-dip on most of them - while this runs the headlamp bulbs at reduced power, they're still in operation so using up their life.
That's a fact I hadn't even thought about Dave as my motor has DRL's dim dipped.

Bob
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 21:38   #48
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I've swapped umpteen PCV boxes on both 940's and my 740 without any problems whatsoever

Just undo wiggle and slide out. On certain 940's you might have to move some of the EGR but that's it.

I had a dummy run on my breaker but I concluded you have got to pull the top vent hose off the PVC which eventually joins via the flame arrestor to the TB pre-intake pipework from the MAF as it proved difficult to lift the PVC high enough to extract it from the sump before it hit the manifold or whatever it was.

With the cold start valve/ECU coolant sensor/coolant heater return pipe/wiring etc, etc, in the way I decided to miss a PVC clean as simple PVC tests had proved satisfactory. I decided at this moment in time not to bother removing it to wash it out.

Always there for the future!!

Bob
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 05:25   #49
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The pipe on top of the PCV box literally just pulls off, there's nothing but hopes and dreams holding them on. Pull it up and you can leave it hanging there on the vacuum line/next part of the PCV pipe.

It is also a very simple job if a little fiddly, I need to do mine again so I can take some photos when I do it if you would like.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 19:30   #50
bob12
bob12

Quote:
The pipe on top of the PCV box literally just pulls off, there's nothing but hopes and dreams holding them on. Pull it up and you can leave it hanging there on the vacuum line/next part of the PCV pipe.

It is also a very simple job if a little fiddly, I need to do mine again so I can take some photos when I do it if you would like.
Thanks Luke. Agreed it's a bit of a fiddle with limited space from my trial on the breaker. As said I was happy the PCV wasn't blocked and although access with the TB out of the way would have been easier with the other stuff that I needed to do and, the current weather, I decided not to do it at this point in time.

I am sure that photos/brief commentary relating to the PCV would form a worthwhile thread.

My attention will now be concentrating on getting my mechanic to fit a new clutch etc as a long drive out today reminded me it is desperately needed as the biting point is right at the top of the pedal and I mean that!! At least this is something I shall not be doing these days!! I think I will stipulate LuK which without any real research at the moment except for the LuK catalogue and comes in at £189.99 from Europarts (Item 64 1660 150) before any discount.

Cheeers, Bob