Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

NEW TYRES???

Views : 2115

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:18   #1
k690bpp

my s70r needs new front tyres it has 205/45 17zr on them at the moment which sell for around £100, way too much in my opinion!!

is it ok to put on 215/45 17 tyres instead?? i can get these for £50!

what the difference between them???

cheers
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:06   #2
karlp

They are wider !!!.
What are these tyres rated at - are they good enough for the car. Just because they cost less does not mean they are cheaper.

In my opinion you generally get what you pay for - if they are equivalent tyres the 215 should cost more.

Karl

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:47   #3
k690bpp

they are kumho's zr rated but the 215 are only £50 but the 205's are £100.

will they fit???
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:33   #4
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: NEW TYRES???

No they won't - they will rub front and rear.

I'm afraid you'll have to fit the 205 width tyres - there are plenty of threads on tyre choice on the performance section forum, but this car needs good tyres to be safe.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 18:45   #5
Bigbird76

Hi there, Simon you might be wrong i had the same tyres fitted to a 850T5 no rubbing but i know the S70 R is lower but i remember don at kalmar saying that 215 would squeeze on as the arches are a bit wider on the 70 series, Im interested in this topic as my S70R will need new tyres one day, its running pirelli p zero at the moment and i dont know if i can afford them tyres at the time the car will need them.

Do please correct me if im wrong though cheers
bigbird

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 21:01   #6
sholtby
Premier Member

The 205 tyres you want are more expensive because they are not as common a size.
The site
www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

will tell you any changes to diameter. £50 is cheap for those tyres!

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:10   #7
k690bpp

tried the Tire Size Comparison calculator these are the results i got:

there was .2" extra on the sidewall, .2" extra radius, .3" extra diameter, 1.1" extra circumference all this means that theres a 1.5% difference between the two tyre sizes altogether.

is this alot???

someone here must be using 215's instead of 205's, come on guys and gals!!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 18:28   #8
sholtby
Premier Member

OK, I got the answer for you from www.volvospeed.com did a search under '215 tires' (yanks spell tyres as tires). 215 45 17 tyres rub slightly on full lock but it doesnt sound like anything serious. I've had cars like that in the past. Those that want to upgrade from a 205 to a 215 tyre seem to go for a 215 40 17 which they claim doesnt rub.
If you can get the tyres so cheap it may be worth a try, however tyre dimensions of the same size tyres can vary between brands.

Simon
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 20:16   #9
sdevans1

I now have 4 205/45 ZR 17 Falken ZE-512 at £70 per tyre fitted at Atlas tyres in Cardiff. They also use stick-on weights and do not leave tyre lever marks on your wheels. Alternatively, on the internet www.mytyres.net/ who will do the same tyres and others such as Kumho or BF Goodrich for similar prices at nominated fitters. The above site appear to be the cheapest I've found on the net.

In the past I have had on my 16" wheels, Pirelli P-zeros (wear too quickly), Firestone Firehawks (not fussed but OK) and Goodyear Eagle F-1 (best tyre to my knowledge). Now I have 17" wheels, I'm giving Falken a try. I'll report how they fare.

cheers

Steve
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 20:49   #10
sholtby
Premier Member

www.topgear.co.uk is quite cheap also and free postage till the end of the month. I like the Hankook k102's they sell 205/50/16 tyres were about £55 each.

Sometimes those stick on weights dont give such a good balance as they only do a static and not a dynamic balance.

Simon