Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo D2 such a slow car.

Views : 1187

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2020, 13:54   #1
ThomasC91

Default Volvo D2 such a slow car.

I have the D2 R Design and does anyone else think it is slow?

From stop to 60mph is just painful, something like 11.2 seconds and unless you have a clear long road and then forget overtaking.

I have had it for 6 years, 2014 plate and have recently been looking at P/X it for a BMW 330D or something. To start with I thought it was quite nippy, but maybe I have just got too use to it.

It is economical, I get between late 50s, early 60s and do some dual carriage driving, but not motorways.

Anyone else think it's a bit of a snail?

I currently have the driver's rear door saga, but we won't mention that.
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 16:35   #2
JonnyA

In comparasion with the D3 (wifes) and D4 (mothers) of the same vintage, and having had a D2 from the dealer a few times as a courtesy car over the years, then I would say, 'Yes!' - they lack any go and definately they're not going to light the place up.
so much 'slowness' that my mum (at age 70) tried the D2 and walked away from the V40, that is untill she tried the D4.
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
ex - 1988 740 GL estate, before that a 340 GL
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 22:05   #3
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile da D2

Not sure what volvo did with the D2, as you say performance can be a bit lacklustre, have driven a c30 d2 and that was not bad (although i had a new turbo at before 100k), also tried a V40 D2 and also not a great match, the psa diesel isnt bad tho in a lighter car like a peug 308 i wonder what the kerb weight of the volvo is ?, one thing they respond well to is maintenance like swapping air filter and oil even before due time, have you tried taking a look at the air filter, the turbo is teensy so maybe more affected by intake air restriction ? just a theory..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 10:40   #4
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyA View Post
In comparasion with the D3 (wifes) and D4 (mothers) of the same vintage, and having had a D2 from the dealer a few times as a courtesy car over the years, then I would say, 'Yes!' - they lack any go and definately they're not going to light the place up.
so much 'slowness' that my mum (at age 70) tried the D2 and walked away from the V40, that is untill she tried the D4.
Yeah I've been looking at the D4. I love the look of the car and I think the interior beats a lot of other brands, just the power that lacks big time
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 10:42   #5
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Not sure what volvo did with the D2, as you say performance can be a bit lacklustre, have driven a c30 d2 and that was not bad (although i had a new turbo at before 100k), also tried a V40 D2 and also not a great match, the psa diesel isnt bad tho in a lighter car like a peug 308 i wonder what the kerb weight of the volvo is ?, one thing they respond well to is maintenance like swapping air filter and oil even before due time, have you tried taking a look at the air filter, the turbo is teensy so maybe more affected by intake air restriction ? just a theory..
I'll have a look at the air filter. I just normally get it serviced and let them do all of that. Yeah I had a C30 before this and I liked it...quite unique looking car.
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 21:16   #6
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile datecodes

Have a look at the datecode on the filter element, most brands have them, once upon a time was using a volvo dealer for servicing a company car i had up to about 60k miles , i ended up buying the car and thought ild have a look at the air filter .. guess what it had the original air filter in there .. well many years later said dealer is no longer around, so its always worth checking stuff, although not easy on other service items..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 20:10   #7
Buckshot61

You can get 20 extra hp with BSR but i´m not sure if it´s worth the money. It´s probably better to get a D4.
Buckshot61 is offline   Reply With Quote