Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swapping tyres from one side to another

Views : 966

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2020, 14:20   #1
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default Swapping tyres from one side to another

I rotate my summer tyres front to back every year.

Perhaps due to roundabouts, or perhaps the 180 degree sliproad off the end of the M181 on my way home from work every day, the outside edge of both nearside tyres is showing quite a bit of wear. The same edge on both offside tyres is a lot better.

The tyres are not rotational tyres so I wondered about swapping them left to right this year to even out the wear? I have heard that doing so mid life of a tyre was not a good idea as the rubber gets used to rotating one way and this can cause wear and balance issues.

Any opinions on whether this is true or thoughts on doing this? Thanks.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 15:14   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I don't like the idea of tyre rotation. When a tyre is put into a new position on the car it has to 'bed in' which equals pointless wear and a period of odd handling. And what's the advantage; having all the tyres wear out at the same time, so you then have to take the hit for buying a set of four new ones all at once?

I'll stick to wearing out the fronts, buying a new pair, fitting them to the rear and moving the rears to the front.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 15:29   #3
AB-UK
Premier Member

I prefer to change front to back to even the wear so no discrepencies in handling.
Changing 4 at the same time isn't more costly than changing 2 twice, and ensures there's no imbalance.
I certainly feel more comfortable knowing I'm on a full set of new rubber doughnuts
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 15:30   #4
garethXC

^ yes but ( zebster) the OP is having wear on both the f&r NS tyres compared to the OS -Personally I too would move them if they are non-rotational specific tyres... yes they may need to 'bed in' but that wont take long...assuning there is no suspension defect or worn bushes etc..
garethXC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garethXC For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 16:08   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethXC View Post
^ yes but ( zebster) the OP is having wear on both the f&r NS tyres compared to the OS -Personally I too would move them if they are non-rotational specific tyres... yes they may need to 'bed in' but that wont take long...assuning there is no suspension defect or worn bushes etc..
If possible I'd want to sort out the reason behind the uneven wear, as moving the wheels around is masking any problem and transferring the excess wear onto otherwise good tyres.
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 21:04   #6
Deman77
Master Member

You will get a little extra wear from changing direction of travel but give more rubber to the side that clearly needs it. It’s worth it. On balance it’s better handling and potentially extended life as more rubber to use on near side.

Staggered set up cars which are usually more performance focused have no choice but to do it and depending on tyre model you may not be able to keep the direction unchanged.

I would get the geometry checked too. Yes living on indicar track is one explanation but camber being out on both wheels on near side from potholes is another. If geometry is fine I’d run a tiny bit extra pressure in the tyres so they would deform a bit less under lateral Gs and get more wear in the middle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 22:00   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
If possible I'd want to sort out the reason behind the uneven wear, as moving the wheels around is masking any problem and transferring the excess wear onto otherwise good tyres.
It has been 4 wheel tracked just recently. It was apparently 1.7 degrees out but is all sorted now.

I think possibly the issue is that at the end of the M181 there is a trumpet interchange with the M180. This has a "max speed 40" sign and a long 180 degree right hand bend. I drive this way on my way home every day. Perhaps some spirited driving has caused extra wear on the outside tyre edge.

So "drive more slowly I hear you say", sure I can in future, but that ship has sailed for these tyres......

Hence why I am thinking of swapping left to right. :-)
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 02:33   #8
volvocat

I have nearly always had more nearside outer edge wear, regardless of car or tyre type/brand and have put it down mainly to our clockwise roundabouts where (forgive me stating the obvious), unless taking a sharp left 1st exit, we cannot help but spend slightly longer turning to the right - even when going straight ahead. Cumulative effect, especially for the slightly more ‘sporty’ driver...
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 09:24   #9
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I don't like the idea of tyre rotation. When a tyre is put into a new position on the car it has to 'bed in' which equals pointless wear and a period of odd handling. And what's the advantage; having all the tyres wear out at the same time, so you then have to take the hit for buying a set of four new ones all at once?

I'll stick to wearing out the fronts, buying a new pair, fitting them to the rear and moving the rears to the front.
Maybe it's one of those UK-specific expressions - but if moving rears to the front is not a rotation - what exactly you people call a rotation?

Btw, here's the recommended rotation patterns for RWD/4WD and FWD cars:

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 09:50   #10
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Maybe it's one of those UK-specific expressions - but if moving rears to the front is not a rotation - what exactly you people call a rotation...
I understand your confusion, but I was referring to accommodating new tyres and not a debatable 'maintenance' procedure.

The word 'rotation' obviously does not apply to what I was suggesting, possibly 'flipping' might be a more apt description? It does at least mean that - in line with best practice - the best tyres are always fitted to the rear, whereas the rotational suggestions given above could well result in the rears being fitted with the most worn tyres, increasing the risk of oversteer.