Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dealership shut down replacement 2 week wait

Views : 3005

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2020, 12:23   #1
GJB
Premier Member

Default Dealership shut down replacement 2 week wait

It has happened after many happy years with Volvo will possibly be leaving the fold the only good dealer within 50 miles has gone and I have a problem the local dealer has said they cannot see me for 2 weeks which I think is unacceptable as far as i'm concerned.
Now to find another make to buy.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 12:28   #2
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
It has happened after many happy years with Volvo will possibly be leaving the fold the only good dealer within 50 miles has gone and I have a problem the local dealer has said they cannot see me for 2 weeks which I think is unacceptable as far as i'm concerned.
A 2 week wait and you are thinking of changing dealer? Is it a problem that stops the car working? makes it unsafe to use?

Its 1/9 next week - a busy day for garages, as will the couple of weeks after. Also, they may not be operating at full strength or efficiency due to the virus and changes to working practices.

But waiting 2 weeks is beyond you. If it doesn't make the car unsafe or stops it working then have a bit of a think...

3 to 4 weeks not unusual for my previous German brands, more if you want a courtesy car. So not quite sure where you will move to... Vauxhall and Ford perhaps don't sell as much as they used to so they might fit you in quicker...
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 01:02   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
"You have a problem"... What about all the other owners that booked their cars in with "problems" before you?

You'll just have to wait like everyone else does...First come first served I'm afraid.

Stop whining.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 28th, 2020 at 01:05.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 07:58   #4
GJB
Premier Member

Angry What real service is all about.

With M.R. KIngs at Halesworth I used to getting great service and if I had any problem they would get you to come in straight away rather than travel around with a problem,or sometimes they could answer the cause of the problem over the phone and how to get over it even.
That is what great service is all about having good back up ,having spent a lot of money on he car in the first place and a lot of people went to M.R.Kings and it is a shame that Volvo decided to close the dealership.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 09:48   #5
James77

I'm inclined to agree. I have had 3 Volvo's now and this will be my last (wife drives it now anyway as I have something else).

My closest dealership is 30 - 45 minutes away and that's too far as Audi/BMW are 10 away and I can walk to work from them.

It becomes a real problem if you have multiple trips to a dealership for warranty issues, services and Mot it's a large chunk out of a day. I can accept the wait I can't the distance anymore.
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 10:16   #6
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
With M.R. KIngs at Halesworth I used to getting great service and if I had any problem they would get you to come in straight away rather than travel around with a problem,or sometimes they could answer the cause of the problem over the phone and how to get over it even.
That is what great service is all about having good back up ,having spent a lot of money on he car in the first place and a lot of people went to M.R.Kings and it is a shame that Volvo decided to close the dealership.
I assume that Volvo didnt close them, I assume that they would not make the investment to bring their dealership in line with brand standards, or perhaps were not making enough money to justify that investment

My nearest Volvo dealer is in Watford - and from what I read that is a good reason not to buy one which is a shame as the cars tick many boxes for me. My nearest BMW dealer is much closer, easier to get to and the service has been great, but not sure I want another BMW.

Sometimes life is all about compromises...
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 10:34   #7
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
I assume that Volvo didnt close them, I assume that they would not make the investment to bring their dealership in line with brand standards, or perhaps were not making enough money to justify that investment

My nearest Volvo dealer is in Watford - and from what I read that is a good reason not to buy one which is a shame as the cars tick many boxes for me. My nearest BMW dealer is much closer, easier to get to and the service has been great, but not sure I want another BMW.

Sometimes life is all about compromises...
I've had my fill of BMW. No offence to anyone who is a fan of the brand, (they do make a good car) but the styling is so dull and the badge isn't what it used to be. When I was a lad in the 90's if you had a BMW you were going somewhere, nowadays anyone can get one often with nil deposit and very generous discount (25% more often than not). For some reason the younger generation still see them as a pinnacle of car ownership!

I can't stomach Audi's either they are even more dull than BMW's. However, both brands are withing 10 minutes of my house Barons BMW and Farnborough Audi. So that does leave a quandary what to replace the XC60 with, might end up being an Audi Q3 Black Edition for the Mrs
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 10:49   #8
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
I've had my fill of BMW. No offence to anyone who is a fan of the brand, (they do make a good car) but the styling is so dull and the badge isn't what it used to be. When I was a lad in the 90's if you had a BMW you were going somewhere, nowadays anyone can get one often with nil deposit and very generous discount (25% more often than not). For some reason the younger generation still see them as a pinnacle of car ownership!

I can't stomach Audi's either they are even more dull than BMW's. However, both brands are withing 10 minutes of my house Barons BMW and Farnborough Audi. So that does leave a quandary what to replace the XC60 with, might end up being an Audi Q3 Black Edition for the Mrs
My last car was a BMW and whilst I am not young, was the pinnacle of my car ownership....an M5. However, 600hp isn’t really usable in real life so I am going back to something more appropriate, and that I might actually feel I can leave somewhere. Had an SQ5 before that but 21” wheels and an SUV gave neither a great ride or great handling....

Son in law and daughter both have GLCs, his a 43, and that’s a bit brash and shouty. Quite like Volvos but I hate touchscreens.

So as you say a quandary where to go next...

ETA you say you have something not Volvo and don’t rate BMW or Audi - be interested what you do drive. And Farnborough Audi, that would put me off buying one, bloody useless when I tried to buy one for the ex..

Last edited by isleaiw; Aug 29th, 2020 at 10:56.
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 18:29   #9
Quacker
Premier Member

I've been waiting three weeks for a first service for a Honda 420cc quad bike. It was due at 20hours/100 miles and it has now done twice that. I'm thinking that next Tuesday or the first rainy day after the bank holiday I will fetch the oil and filters and do the most important points myself. It also needs the front tracking adjusted and maybe I'll ask what the toe figure should be and do that myself as well. It currently has a ridiculous 20mm toe out.
It is a bit ridiculous and just as important as a service for a Volvo. Every dealer of everything seem to be swamped with more work than they can handle currently.
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 22:25   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I've been waiting three weeks for a first service for a Honda 420cc quad bike. It was due at 20hours/100 miles and it has now done twice that. I'm thinking that next Tuesday or the first rainy day after the bank holiday I will fetch the oil and filters and do the most important points myself. It also needs the front tracking adjusted and maybe I'll ask what the toe figure should be and do that myself as well. It currently has a ridiculous 20mm toe out.
It is a bit ridiculous and just as important as a service for a Volvo. Every dealer of everything seem to be swamped with more work than they can handle currently.
You must be missing the Volvo still Quacker, as you are still checking the forums.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: