Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 Sport 2008 Oil and coolant questions

Views : 637

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2020, 18:51   #1
Boff

Default V70 D5 Sport 2008 Oil and coolant questions

I've managed to confuse myself with over-researching this so apologies if it's been done to death here and I'm sorry for so many probably basic questions.

I'm in SW England, UK.

I haven't taken my car out hardly for ages with these lockdowns etc but last night I started it and got a "Coolant level low stop engine" message straightaway. I immediately turned it off and I just checked the level visually (which is a bit below MIN so I was a bit concerned). Is any old coolant OK or is there a recommended one/brand I can top it up with?

Also, I checked the oil level and that's low so I was going to top it up. I found an unopened 1 litre bottle of "Fuchs TITAN GT1 Pro C3 Premium Motor Oil 5W-30 with XTL Technology" which I'm thinking I should add to the car but it's probably a few years old. Will it "expire"? There's no "use by" date on the bottle. Would it be OK to use to get the level up and carry it until the next service (December time I think) or should I drain what's in there and replace with totally new stuff. Also, the handbook says "Volvo recommends Castrol" all over it. Is that just a marketing thing or should I use it? If I have to drain it all out and put in new stuff, how much should I add? I've read it's either 5L, 5.5L, 6L or 6.5L.

Any help would put my mind at ease.

Many thanks in advance.
Boff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 19:28   #2
Symes
Master Member

Don't overfill the engine with oil, the DPF regen uses additional fuel on the exhaust stroke, some of which gets into the sump and raises the overall level - go too high and the engine might get into a runaway mode and if you've never seen one then I'm sure there will be videos on youtube!

As a result of this issue, volvo issued a notice that oil should only be added to 3/4 level on the dipstick (so the rising fuel/oil level wouldn't get too high between services). With yours been a 2008 I would expect the manual to state if this is the case.

Now, that said I think volvo then fitted modified dipsticks to later versions of the engine to save any confusion(!) Hopefully someone may be able to confirm that, and when the change occurred.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 00:05   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boff View Post
I've managed to confuse myself with over-researching this so apologies if it's been done to death here and I'm sorry for so many probably basic questions.

I'm in SW England, UK.

I haven't taken my car out hardly for ages with these lockdowns etc but last night I started it and got a "Coolant level low stop engine" message straightaway. I immediately turned it off and I just checked the level visually (which is a bit below MIN so I was a bit concerned). Is any old coolant OK or is there a recommended one/brand I can top it up with?

Also, I checked the oil level and that's low so I was going to top it up. I found an unopened 1 litre bottle of "Fuchs TITAN GT1 Pro C3 Premium Motor Oil 5W-30 with XTL Technology" which I'm thinking I should add to the car but it's probably a few years old. Will it "expire"? There's no "use by" date on the bottle. Would it be OK to use to get the level up and carry it until the next service (December time I think) or should I drain what's in there and replace with totally new stuff. Also, the handbook says "Volvo recommends Castrol" all over it. Is that just a marketing thing or should I use it? If I have to drain it all out and put in new stuff, how much should I add? I've read it's either 5L, 5.5L, 6L or 6.5L.

Any help would put my mind at ease.

Many thanks in advance.
5.7 litres of 0W-30 A5/B5 spec oil. Don't use that other oil you have, as its not the correct spec for the engine. Volvo recommends Castrol oil, but you can use any brand so long as the viscosity & spec is correct. Seeming so your service isn't too long away, I'd be inclined to drain the old oil & add the correct spec oil (noted above) with a new oil filter slightly earlier than its due.

The oil only needs to be filled to 3/4 on the dipstick in these engines though (Add any more & you'll get an "Engine system service required" warning on the dash). After production, Volvo owners were experiencing warning messages due to the oil level rising because of failed DPF regenerations. Volvo recalibrated the dipsticks by recall in their vehicles to compensate for this (Rising oil levels became an issue after production, so the oil quantity noted in the manual is actually wrong). If you open the bonnet on your car, you'll see a sticker on the slam panel that shows that the oil only needs to be filled to the 3/4 mark. 5.7 litres will get you to 3/4 - Adding this specific amount compensates for any failed DPF regenerations, so you shouldn't get any warning messages on the dash after you change the oil, if you add this amount.

With regards to coolant, I'd suggest buying genuine Volvo - It was designed for the car & really is top quality. It lasts for years & is worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Last edited by Kev0607; Oct 1st, 2020 at 00:24.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 11:20   #4
Boff

Thank you both very much for these informative and helpful replies.

I'm going to sort it all out today. Just hope the service doesn't throw up any suprises about why the coolant level has dropped.

Thanks again.
Boff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 22:29   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

The coolant level dropping to below minimum is something that you want to keep an eye on, as that could be a serious underlying issue. Do the oil change & add the new coolant, then see how long the coolant level takes to drop (if it does).

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by Kev0607; Oct 1st, 2020 at 22:32.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote