Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 Media System Crashing

Views : 2618

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2020, 16:52   #11
dchbrown

Well, i have been asked to use the FM radio instead of DAB and try and leave a phone unpaired for a few days to see whether it makes it any different/better.

Not sure if thats a long term solution or just the next fault finding step to do!

My guess would be they have a theory but its one of two likely expensive parts and they dont want to replace one to find out its the other, and this way they can narrow it down and confirm it either way.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 08:51   #12
Bulldogkitch79

Hi there, I'm having the same issue as all mentioned.
Just recently bought a V90 Inscription 17 plate and was fine until the 2nd day. Must've turned itself off and rebooted 5-6 times and at one point the system switched off for like 5mins!
I left the car overnight to see if it was just re-configuring to a new driver that has connected a new device. Was fine for 1 day then the next glitched again! Also the system had automatic updates which installed itself.

I obviously relayed this back to the dealer I bought the car from but they reassured me that they never had that problem before and Volvo stated this has never happened before to any of the V90's and the updates were fine.

Strangely enough didn't have a problem for about a week after the automatic updates dropped in my system and installed on there own.

Just yesterday my wife tried to put a song on through Android auto. Worked fine for a while then system notified me that my device wasn't working correctly.
Too many bugs in the Infotainment system for me. Very distracting.

Will deffo take it to a reputable dealer.
Bulldogkitch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 11:06   #13
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogkitch79 View Post
Hi there, I'm having the same issue as all mentioned.
Just recently bought a V90 Inscription 17 plate and was fine until the 2nd day. Must've turned itself off and rebooted 5-6 times and at one point the system switched off for like 5mins!
I left the car overnight to see if it was just re-configuring to a new driver that has connected a new device. Was fine for 1 day then the next glitched again! Also the system had automatic updates which installed itself.

I obviously relayed this back to the dealer I bought the car from but they reassured me that they never had that problem before and Volvo stated this has never happened before to any of the V90's and the updates were fine.

Strangely enough didn't have a problem for about a week after the automatic updates dropped in my system and installed on there own.

Just yesterday my wife tried to put a song on through Android auto. Worked fine for a while then system notified me that my device wasn't working correctly.
Too many bugs in the Infotainment system for me. Very distracting.

Will deffo take it to a reputable dealer.

Re-charge the battery before you spend out.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 12:13   #14
S90
IT Guru

Just got rid of a 2020 S90 T5. It did this once, about a week before it went. Literally everything apart from drivers display went black, pulled over, shut car off, got out, shut door, locked, waited 30 seconds, got back in, everything went back to normal.

Its possible the whole unit is faulty as that many times in one day would require me finding a very large window to throw the car through!

As Philip said, find a good dealer who actually cares. Explain your dilemma, milk it, hopefully you'll get it sorted.

Unfortunately due to modern cars all using these kind of systems, every manufacturer suffers from it to some degree.

I'd ask the dealer to do a full reload of the system, which will include all the updates thus far.

Hope you get it sorted.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 12:15   #15
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1988 View Post
Hi All,

I have a V90 on a 68 plate, and am having a real nightmare with it. The media system crashes at least 4-5 times a day, and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue? When it crashes it gets stuck on loading on the phone and radio sections, and the sat nav thinks it is in Sweden (Inom Vellgraven). It will sit like this for 5 mins or so, then the main screen and the screen between the dials go blank with a strange noise from the speakers. It re-starts and repeats the crashing sequence three or four times then comes back to life for a few hours before it does it again. I am hugely frustrated with it now (especially as I need the sat nav for my job - propping my phone in the console with Waze on is really not brilliant.

It has been seen by two separate dealers who have both said they have resolved the issue, only for it to re-appear a few days later. It is being seen by another dealer next week, and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?

I have had an absolute nightmare with this car due to the dealership I bought it from, and this is making me really regret buying the car, which is a shame as I’ve wanted one for a long time.

Edit.. I have also noticed that there is some sort of metallic ticking when I turn the car off, is this normal on these cars, or something else to ask them to look at?

Metallic ticking is likely a heat shield cooling down?? If inside, possibly the ventilation system shutting down.
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 16:33   #16
Timothy2

It’s bit unlikely but worth trying, make sure your phone is not paired or connected to the car (as a test). I’ve seen Volvos have infotainment crashes caused by mobile phones connected.
Timothy2 is offline   Reply With Quote