Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

On call , wifi , towbar issues for new owner

Views : 1589

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2020, 23:23   #1
Raddish

Default On call , wifi , towbar issues for new owner

Hi
Just picked up 69 plate V90CC D5 with winter(hud), xenium and towbar. It says it’s a early 2020 spec.

It’s got the SOS + On Call buttons, does this mean the car has this function because nothing happens and the Volvo website says “ Activation required. Sorry, but it's currently not possible to activate Volvo On Call for this vehicle.”

Also the cars WiFi won’t work and I’ve noticed the boot mounted SIM card holder is empty. Does it need one. Should this be dealer supplied or I supply?

The towbar is brand new, does it need cleaning of any surface paint/grim with abrasive pad before towing.

How does the breakdown work as I have no contact details for them should this happen.

Many thanks for any reply’s
Raddish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 06:37   #2
Duri13

VOC should be activated by your dealer.
SIM slot is empty, you should put your own sim card there or tether internet from your phone (VOC uses its own sim).
No cleaning needed.
Breakdown - call volvo asisstance. The number should be among papers you got or (once activated) press VOC.
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 08:28   #3
Raddish

Many thanks. I’ll call Marshall’s notts.
Raddish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 09:27   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

The towbar "ball" will definitely need cleaning of surface paint before you use it or paint will contaminate the tow hitch Alko stabiliser friction pads and glaze them. Clean them and keep them dry and ensure no grease or other lubricants are used on the ball.
This is vital. It is standard practice.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 21st, 2020 at 09:31.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 09:31   #5
St Evelyn
VOC Member

My factory towball was galvanised rather than painted so didn't need any paint removal - just a simple wipe over with brake and clutch cleaner to ensure that it was grease-free.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 09:34   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

There is a coating of anti corrosion on the ball. When supplied new, it is like light grey primer. This has to be removed.
Maybe yours was cleaned by the installer before you picked the car up, mine still had the coating on.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 21st, 2020 at 10:27.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:22   #7
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Regarding all the Volvo On Call, I would suggest downloading the app to your phone and setting up a Volvo ID before you go to the dealer, then you can check it all connects and registers properly in the car while at the dealer. More info on setting up the ID here:
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...r-a-volvo-id-2

Just to be clear, it needs to be done by a Volvo dealer; you mention Marshalls, not sure if this is a dealer or not.

For the wi-fi connectivity, I just tether to my phone using Bluetooth. I have an option in the "Hotspot" settings that allows automatic tethering via bluetooth so I don't need to turn the hotspot on each time, the car just connects automatically. Seems pretty stable so far, but will obviously use your data allowance so if doing things like streaming over Spotify, make sure you have enough data on your tarrif.
bornmiddleaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 12:34   #8
Snoodini

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
There is a coating of anti corrosion on the ball. When supplied new, it is like light grey primer. This has to be removed.
Maybe yours was cleaned by the installer before you picked the car up, mine still had the coating on.
"has to be" is a bit far. It depends on what you're pulling. I have never removed the coating on mine, it has just come off with use BUT I have not pulled any trailer with any sort of braking applied through the ball as it seems these stabiliser hitches do. Just simple braked and non-braked trailers.

Also, standard practice for any normal ball hitch is to grease it. seems the complete opposite with these stabiliser hitches.
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 13:44   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodini View Post
"has to be" is a bit far. It depends on what you're pulling. I have never removed the coating on mine, it has just come off with use BUT I have not pulled any trailer with any sort of braking applied through the ball as it seems these stabiliser hitches do. Just simple braked and non-braked trailers.

Also, standard practice for any normal ball hitch is to grease it. seems the complete opposite with these stabiliser hitches.
Most if not all modern caravans are fitted with Alko stabilisers that clamp onto the tow ball, the caravan tow hitch has friction discs inside that act like brakes to stop side to side snaking, if these discs are contaminated or glazed they will not work effectively, if the tow ball is greased they will not work at all.

Yes if you are only towing a small un-braked trailer with old type hitch and no Alko stabiliser you would normally grease the ball but the ball should still be cleaned and de-contaminated if the new style hitch is to be used or bike racks that clamp on to the tow ball.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 21st, 2020 at 13:52.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 14:09   #10
tem
Premier Member

I do not tow anything, but thought I would check with my son, who sometimes tows a caravan.
He confirmed that the ball and hitch must be maintained clean of any paint, grease, etc.

It must be 30 years+, since I last had a tow-bar and that was for small trailers. Then we used to put grease on the ball.

tem.