Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav not working. Advice please

Views : 269

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 11:36   #1
ewanc0
VOC Member

Default Sat Nav not working. Advice please

Hi all, Ive got a 54 plate XC70 with the pop up sat nav. Now i know their pretty naf but it's there so i'd like it working. I'm currently getting "cannot read disc" message. I've tried 2 known working discs and i've also had the unit apart and cleaned the laser lens, but to no avail. Is there anything else i can try before having to swap the whole thing?

Thanks
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 12:31   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanc0 View Post
Hi all, Ive got a 54 plate XC70 with the pop up sat nav. Now i know their pretty naf but it's there so i'd like it working. I'm currently getting "cannot read disc" message. I've tried 2 known working discs and i've also had the unit apart and cleaned the laser lens, but to no avail. Is there anything else i can try before having to swap the whole thing?

Thanks
Go into the diagnostics menu and see what it says

It is highly likely it will say there is a mechanism error (mech error)

If so, here's the cheap fix:

1. Buy a 2nd hand identical nav unit from a wreckers or ebay
2. Transplant the mech from the donor nav unit to your nav unit

Do not fit the donor to the car, the nav units are coded to the vehicle
Do not dispose of your nav unit, it is coded to your car

You can successfully transplant the DVD mechanism from the donor to your nav unit.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 15:01   #3
ewanc0
VOC Member

Thanks do you mean the diagnostics menu in Vida or is there a built in menu? If so how do i access it?
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 23:59   #4
reggit
Premier Member

Here you go, https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=196824

I needed a new drive in mine, found that a similar nav unit has the same internal drive. There’s a bit of dismantling to get the dvd drive out, but it’s easy enough.