Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ferodo DS Performance VS Ferodo DS2500

Views : 3914

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2019, 22:16   #1
DSK
C70 T5

Default Ferodo DS Performance VS Ferodo DS2500

FERODO DS v DS2500 (DS2500 better?)

I have happily been using Ferodo DS2500 brake pads (coupled with Brembo/OEM/Pagid/ATE/Ferodo brake discs) with Motul RBF600 fluid for several years.

For a bit of a change I decided to try a set of Ferodo DS performance pads (road legal fast road pad) with Brembo Max discs and Motul RBF fluid which I do routinely. I always change the pads/discs and bleed the brakes with new fluid at every brake change (which is yearly for me). So parts and workmanship is consistent and the way its been for years.

I’ve covered some 4,000 miles over the last couple of months since fitting and my view of the Ferodo DS performance pads (not the DS2500) is somewhat disappointing.

The Ferodo DS do work fine from cold but need noticeably more work to get them upto their best compared to the DS2500. The DS performance pads also seem to compress more than the DS2500 so the pedal feel is more like an OEM pad but, when they are upto their optimum they feel like a Ferodo pad should, sharp and strong. My biggest issue with the Ferodo DS Performance is the horrendous squealing, its almost like they really don’t shut up and its loud, not what you would expect from a road legal version. When using the Ferodo DS with some enthusiasm, its brilliant but, the moment you use it normally and they have warmed up a touch either via a little city commuting or longer run, the squealing is loud. Considering the fact that the price of the Ferodo DS is nigh on the same as the Ferodo DS2500, I personally cannot recommend anyone paying for the Ferodo DS performance pads over the much loved Ferodo DS2500 brake pads.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2019, 06:18   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Interesting, do the DS pads need bedding in?
Back in the days I was involved with rally cars we ran DS11 pads, wonderful brakes if bedded in, terrible if not. Bedding in consisted of hard use untill they faded, then drive gently untill they cooled, thereafter they worked well even with the disks glowing and very little squeal when cold.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 08:10   #3
DSK
C70 T5

The bedding is reasonably quick and much the same.

A few hard stops in quick succession/back to back from around 70mph (cough) to about 20mph IIRC. I use a local dual carriage way when its not busy to do it. I read the bed in procedure for these incase it was different and from memory, it was slightly more gradual than the DS2500. Something like 5 steady slow downs and then 5 moderately brisk slow downs.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Last edited by DSK; May 30th, 2019 at 10:07.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:00   #4
DSK
C70 T5

Default Bembo HP2000

Just an update on this. So I have spent a little under 1 year running the Ferodo DS pads in my usually 800 mile a week T5. Its about time to replace brakes all round as usual.

After posting the above the pads did settle down a bit (despite having covered 4,000 miles when posting the above). I did re-attempt the bedding in procedure a couple of times.

The squealing did settle down and the overall performance is significantly better over a standard pad. The pedal feel is nice for the road, compressing marginally in comparison to a DS2500 but lovely modulation. Noise levels and brake dust are more or less identical to the Ferodo DS2500. Cold bite again is similar to the DS2500, not a step above. Under normal road conditions, I was expecting the DS to be tangibly better than the DS2500 but, its almost identical. Taking into account the minimal price difference, I'd always stick with the DS2500 in future.

Brembo released a road legal fast road pad, the HP2000 and I recall reading somewhere its foundation formula was that of the Ferodo DS, which Brembo then tweaked some more to suit their needs. I am trying out a set of these in the next few weeks and they have set me back £110 for the Volvo T5. So still an expensive pad but, just a bit cheaper still than the Ferodo DS. The HP2000 is backed by strong views leaning towards it being a better performance road pad but not as strong as the Ferodo DS2500, which, is exactly I would expect from the HP2000.

I will provide an update on these in due course.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000