Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 transmission judder

Views : 4155

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 16:17   #1
ianrnewlove

Default XC90 transmission judder

I have recently bought a 2007 XC90 D5 geartronic which I use for towing a 1600kg caravan. I have noticed that the car has a tendency, in both auto or semi-auto, if you accelerate when in high gear but below 2000rpm there is a marked judder comes through the floor. This is most noticeable when towing. The judder stops if you kick down to a lower gear (5th or 4th). The car has only done 28000 miles and is still covered by Volvo original warranty. Has anyone else come across this? My guess is that there is a problem with the hydraulic clutch - but I have been known to be wrong before!
ianrnewlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ianrnewlove For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 18:59   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

This sounds as if the lock up clutch is slipping inside the torque converter . A good dealer should be able to find a bulletin and maybe a software upgrade would cure it ..
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 21:06   #3
T1gger

Default similar problem

I have a similar sounding issue on an XC60 Geartronic 25000 Miles 2.4 FWD. Judder from the drive train at low revs. Just to let you know it wasnt cured by the software upgrade (there is bulletin for exactly these symptoms on the XC60). so I'm now waiting for the next step by the dealer. If yours has a cure let me know !
T1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T1gger For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 09:20   #4
carpycarpycarpy

Sounds like torque convertor. Just had mine replaced. The friction material had worn.
carpycarpycarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpycarpycarpy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 09:46   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1gger View Post
I have a similar sounding issue on an XC60 Geartronic 25000 Miles 2.4 FWD. Judder from the drive train at low revs. Just to let you know it wasnt cured by the software upgrade (there is bulletin for exactly these symptoms on the XC60). so I'm now waiting for the next step by the dealer. If yours has a cure let me know !
yes a new bulletin , the above post is quite old ! The fault is within the haldex unit .
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 15:39   #6
dstc

We just bought a 53 plate XC90 D5 geartronic with 162k miles. Instead of thrashing it during the test drive I took it easy and, stupidly, for the next few days. When the Mrs wasn't in the car I would give it a bit of abuse and was alarmed at the same vibration in the cabin. It felt like the same torque converter judder as you described.

The next week I drained and flushed the gearbox fluid twice with Toyota Type 4. No change. Checked the CV boots for leaks. Drove round and round in circles listening out for clunks and vibrations. Nothing. Doing my research watched a few videos on YouTube, one guy with a burgundy S80 was a big help.

The front and rear mounts seemed in good order, however it wasn't until I started taking things apart did I notice the right engine mount, torque rod and the top mount had been destroyed some time ago.

Just changed the right mount, torque rod and the top mount a few hours ago. The left side engine buffer looked ok. No more vibration at idle felt in the steering wheel and no vibration on full throttle. In my enthusiastic testing of the new engine mounts the engine must have overboosted and went into limp mode. So something else to look into.

Before you go looking at replacing torque converters jack up the car with your Volvo jack on the D/S. Pop the F/D/S wheel off. Undo the 10mm plastic nut and pull the plastic cover back. D5 owners are so lucky as we don't need to take the crankshaft pulley off. Just crack the 2no 18mm nuts that hold the mount to the buffer/subframe and the 2no 15mm bolts that hold the mount to the engine and jack the engine up high enough for the 2 mounting lugs to clear the pad.

The top mount and torque rod were much easier to replace. The top mount had brown scorch marks where the rubber bush rubbed the ally.

The car drives really nice now. Hope you get yours sorted too.
dstc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dstc For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 14:09   #7
Grahamd5

Had this prob car been in had new torque converter and still does it!!!!!!
Grahamd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 15:01   #8
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, do you have any message relating to transmission errors?
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote