Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

London Low Emission Zone

Views : 2252

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2019, 08:25   #11
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Is that from date of offence or date of you being notified Thomas?

I have seen the LED signs around Heathrow airport and indeed the entry to the airport terminal 4 I think it was was a good way beyond them. As I sometimes use the 7 seat landrover to pick family up from there it could prove expencive. Family preffer to fly into Manchester these days but Heathrow is always an alternative.

Paul.
From date of you entering ulez/CC zone. At least the initial £12.50+£12.50.

Then I'd guess it's 2 weeks from the date of penalty notice being issued.

Re Heathrow: to the best of my knowledge ULEZ doesn't reach there.

So if it's a car you're driving, LEZ doesn't apply to you and you have nothing to worry about?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 08:29   #12
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
+1 for Birmingham and they now have a FREE 15 min drop off zone.
Last I was at Heathrow there was same thing there?
Mind, it was 2 or 3 years ago..

I know Gatwick has free drop off..
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 13:47   #13
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

For a little clarity (and reassurance) for those who are not Londoners or frequent visitors, London has two Emissions Zones. The LEZ which you will see white and green signs for on all major roads in to London extends to most of the area inside the M25, but only applies to commercial vehicles. The ULEZ is the more central area of London and coincides with the old Congestion Charging Area, as you approach it you'll see a sign with a white C in a red circle and then the same painted on the road, this zone includes restrictions on cars. Both can be quite quickly looked up online, search 'lez' or 'ulez' and choose the TfL pages (Transport for London). Paul may need to double check how they have categorised the 7 seat Landy but most should be OK going to Heathrow, a bit trickier if you're visiting London for shops, theatre etc or picking someone up from Victoria coachstation which is on the edge of the ULEZ.

Just to emphasise the proper tfl pages have the facts rather than what someone said on the internet, as even official looking pages and those from supposedly reliable news sources do have an ability to mix the two and refer to the ULEZ while showing pictures of LEZ signs.
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low...ne?intcmp=2261
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...-emission-zone

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 06:33   #14
green van man
Premier Member

My thanks Thomas.
The landrover is a discovery and biult as a car, as were the 90 and 110 defender station wagons, all other defenders are biult as commercial vehicles no matter how they were later adapted or converted, unless re registered they olso fall under commercial speed limits, a fact few farmers realise untill caught.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 06:36   #15
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
My thanks Thomas.
The landrover is a discovery and biult as a car, as were the 90 and 110 defender station wagons, all other defenders are biult as commercial vehicles no matter how they were later adapted or converted, unless re registered they olso fall under commercial speed limits, a fact few farmers realise untill caught.

Paul.
Now THAT is something I had no knowledge about. At all.

It's me thanking you now.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 17:14   #16
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Now THAT is something I had no knowledge about. At all.

It's me thanking you now.
Any of the utility type 4x4s that are sold + vat are classed as commercial vehicles.
Have a local Isusi dealer, twin cab trucks advertised from £19,000 brand new, looks a bargain untill you realise vat has to go on that price. Of course the farmers can claim the vat back through the business, ordinary mortals have to suck it up and pay. It's still a commercial vehicle though no matter wether you claim the vat back or not. . And it is not a car derived van, it's a van so the commercial regulations apply.

A note to anyone buying a defender, check the V5 very carefully as only the station wagons are classed as cars but given the mechano nature of the car a van can easily be converted to station wagons spec, it is still a van however unless re registered as a station wagon, similarly the companies whom converted defenders to motor homes, unless re registered they are still a van.

Have 2 friends with 110 defender TD5s, one is a station wagon while the other is a van with rear windows fitted. The van driver slows to 50 when passing a camera on a single carageway road while the station wagon bowls along maintaining 60.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 00:58   #17
Gaz2
S80 2.4 Auto

When the ULEZ zone expands in October 2021 my son's house will be just inside it. If I visit him for in a non-compliant car, will I be charged for the days when my car is parked outside his house but not moving? Or just the days I enter and leave the zone?
Gaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 08:51   #18
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz2 View Post
When the ULEZ zone expands in October 2021 my son's house will be just inside it. If I visit him for in a non-compliant car, will I be charged for the days when my car is parked outside his house but not moving? Or just the days I enter and leave the zone?
It's a DAILY charge, like the congestion charge, once you're inside 'the zone' they don't know if you're parked up or doing 80 miles a day inside it so on that basis you're 'using' the zone so will be charged for it. Apart from Christmas Day - they let you have that for free!

Fun fact: my 15 year old 2500cc Petrol Volvo is exempt from the ULEZ but our modern Citroen with its DPF and £30.00/year RFL doesn't meet the requirements
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 08:58   #19
arctan

Default Motorcycle tests.

If you have a bike you can get it tested to check it's actual emissions, and if they are low enough then ULEZ won't be applied. But no provision for my lpg 940...
arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 17:37   #20
BorderVolvo

Who benefits from the charges??

Is it DVLA? Local Council? ….or Macmillan Cancer Support/Cancer Research/loads of others??

Just curios....I think I know the answer, but it's not the right one.