Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel nut torque settings

Views : 1349

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2019, 22:40   #11
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

what pikey wrench are you using. most 1/2 inch are 30 to 210nm
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barrybritcher For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 08:13   #12
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
what pikey wrench are you using. most 1/2 inch are 30 to 210nm
I have a Beta one that goes to 300 Nm, caravan hub nuts are 290Nm and it gets used to that every service of the caravan hubs/brakes. That one was £150.
There are Norbar ones that go that high also. All half inch drive.
The cheaper ones tend to be 30 to 230Nm, have a Draper one that cost me £42.that is in that range.

Technically a click wrench is a torque indicator, you can tighten past the click, a torque wrench breaks so that tightening above the set value is inpossible. That type of torque wrench tends to be expencive.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 11:58   #13
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
...There are Norbar ones that go that high also. All half inch drive...
I have a diddly, little Norbar wrench that only goes to 20nm for doing up the head nuts on the Velo's, all 12ftlb. Not something to go tigher on
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 23:14   #14
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
I have a diddly, little Norbar wrench that only goes to 20nm for doing up the head nuts on the Velo's, all 12ftlb. Not something to go tigher on
My low range torque wrench is a 3/8 drive Britool that I baught in 1973 to tighten the cam shaft caps on my imp, 7 ftlb.

Are your velos water cooled? I remember an old chap used to run one back and forth to work when I was an apprentice, very quiet in comparison to the bsa bantams of the day.

Paul.
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 23:19   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
My low range torque wrench is a 3/8 drive Britool that I baught in 1973 to tighten the cam shaft caps on my imp, 7 ftlb.

Are your velos water cooled? I remember an old chap used to run one back and forth to work when I was an apprentice, very quiet in comparison to the bsa bantams of the day.

Paul.
No wonder those cam carrier nuts stripped , Torque is 6 lb/ft 🙄
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 06:59   #16
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No wonder those cam carrier nuts stripped , Torque is 6 lb/ft 🙄
It was 40 years ago and Ive had a lot of sleeps since.
Yes you are right it was 6 ftlb. I did renew the nuts every time I set the tappets, turning the cam but hand with the head off the car made you realised they worked hard for a living so it was new when the job finished. 1/4 UNF if memory serves.
Still have a tobacco tin of shims somwhere in the shed, all thick ones of course. You could shave up to .015 inch off the top of the valve stem in extremis without cutting through the case hardened top of the stem. I had a mate who was a toolmaker and he surface ground the shims for me which was a whole lot easier.

Paul.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 09:23   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
It was 40 years ago and Ive had a lot of sleeps since.
Yes you are right it was 6 ftlb. I did renew the nuts every time I set the tappets, turning the cam but hand with the head off the car made you realised they worked hard for a living so it was new when the job finished. 1/4 UNF if memory serves.
Still have a tobacco tin of shims somwhere in the shed, all thick ones of course. You could shave up to .015 inch off the top of the valve stem in extremis without cutting through the case hardened top of the stem. I had a mate who was a toolmaker and he surface ground the shims for me which was a whole lot easier.

Paul.
if you get down to needing a shim thinner than 0.075" there is a problem somewhere ! If you find the shims one day send them to me 🛠
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 09:24   #18
id5
Premier Member

Quote:

Paul.
No mine are all air cooled. The one you are thinking of is a Velo LE, often called a 'Noddy Bike' because the ploice used to use them. Great little bikes but boxy looking. A really low centre of gravity and with leg shields, they were very popular for a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45120436351_2cfd1a4ba5_b.jpg (223.3 KB, 8 views)
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post: