Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New v90 owner questions

Views : 2070

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 23:11   #11
Geordiesteve

Thanks again Daverey,

I will load a map and check as I wasn't sure how it
Showed when sent from VOC.

I will only use the data sim for the same as you as I'm not really a Spotify guy!
Did you say free 200mb?

Last point. How do I cannect to home WiFi for map updates etc?

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverey View Post
If you've already sent the destination to the car - either from the VOC app or from the Here Maps site - then in mine sometimes I get a notification on the main Sensus screen saying "New destination received", although not all the time.

However, from the satnav/maps display, click on "new destination" or "enter destination" and then "library", and it should be at the top of the list with the address and "sent to car" displayed.

My On call subscription was 3 years from purchase date by me, and not from registration, so I would imagine you get the 3 years from Friday.

With the data SIM it depends on what you want to use it for. I'm a bit of a dinosaur and have all my music on a USB thumb drive and listen to it that way, so my only data consumption is for things like the weather app, Glympse, llive traffic info etc, all of which uses very little data. For this the free Three 200Mb SIM is always more than enough, and I just ensure I update the maps and apps over USB or over home Wifi when parked on the drive. If you want to use the car's modem to stream via TuneIn or Spotify, or to download map updates etc, then you'll need to buy one with a much bigger data allowance.
Geordiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 00:02   #12
MikeGMT
VOC Member

To connect to home wifi swipe down from settings on the Sensus screen and tap communication > wifi, connect car to mobile hotspot. Tick the box. Car should search for networks. Select your network and enter your password. Car should connect. If it doesn't it could be because you are out of range of the home router or you may have to change the security settings on the router. (I had to do this).
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 00:32   #13
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
For this the free Three 200Mb SIM is always more than enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordiesteve View Post
I will only use the data sim for the same as you as I'm not really a Spotify guy!
Did you say free 200mb?

Thanks again!
This is something I'm interested in too. I have the Three free 200mb data sim. It works OK. I got mine at the beginning of August and just had a look, got 87mb left. Question is how do you get the 200mb of free data. Does it renew monthly or when you have used all the data and how do you receive the data is it OTA in the car?
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 07:53   #14
Geordiesteve

Thanks guys,
MikeGMT reading it looks like it renews each month, but my question is do you nerd to be with Three currently? And silly question,, if you get a data sim with them does that effect calls to your car on your paired mobile number. Reason I ask is I would think you get a number with the sim?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
This is something I'm interested in too. I have the Three free 200mb data sim. It works OK. I got mine at the beginning of August and just had a look, got 87mb left. Question is how do you get the 200mb of free data. Does it renew monthly or when you have used all the data and how do you receive the data is it OTA in the car?
Geordiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 07:54   #15
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post

The data renew automatically every month on the date when first been activated.
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 09:24   #16
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordiesteve View Post
Thanks guys,
MikeGMT reading it looks like it renews each month, but my question is do you nerd to be with Three currently? And silly question,, if you get a data sim with them does that effect calls to your car on your paired mobile number. Reason I ask is I would think you get a number with the sim?

Thanks
Your phone calls are not affected at all by the data sim, the sim does have a number attached to it but you do not use it, if you want to the number can be used to set up and log in to the My3 website account to check how much data you have used or have left, you can top up data from there but "NEVER" do so, it is much cheaper to throw the sim away and buy a new data sim card (and set up a new account if you want too)
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Dec 3rd, 2019 at 09:53.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 09:41   #17
daverey

No need to be a Three customer - just go to the following link and order a card:

https://www.three.co.uk/free_sim_mbb/order

Once the SIM comes it needs to be "activated" - I did this by putting it in my phone and connecting to the internet with it, where it took me to a registration/activation page. Once this is done, pop it back out of the phone and then into the SIM holder. You then need to go into settings-communication-car modem (or similar) and tick a box, and your car will then use the boot SIM for data.

The 200Mb automatically renews each month, and if you do use up too much (tip - ensure maps updates automatically is turned off somewhere so you don't blow it all in one update) it simply stops connecting to the internet - no charges whatsoever.

There are other threads on here about the SIM card and accessing the boot SIM holder, which is a bit of a pain from memory as its under the boot floor towards the rear seats somewhere
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 09:42   #18
daverey

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a801516bec8f93
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 09:45   #19
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
No need to be a Three customer - just go to the following link and order a card:

https://www.three.co.uk/free_sim_mbb/order

Once the SIM comes it needs to be "activated" - I did this by putting it in my phone and connecting to the internet with it, where it took me to a registration/activation page. Once this is done, pop it back out of the phone and then into the SIM holder. You then need to go into settings-communication-car modem (or similar) and tick a box, and your car will then use the boot SIM for data.

The 200Mb automatically renews each month, and if you do use up too much (tip - ensure maps updates automatically is turned off somewhere so you don't blow it all in one update) it simply stops connecting to the internet - no charges whatsoever.

There are other threads on here about the SIM card and accessing the boot SIM holder, which is a bit of a pain from memory as its under the boot floor towards the rear seats somewhere
I have one. It was a bit of a pain to register it, as you have to either have a phone on the three network, or an unlocked phone. Works fine.
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 09:58   #20
daverey

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=268962