Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Garmin Nuvi 3790 Sat Nav From Volvo?

Views : 7039

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 09:24   #1
tem
Premier Member

Default Garmin Nuvi 3790 Sat Nav From Volvo?

Has anyone had this Sat Nav fitted?
It mounts on a holder which is attached to the "A" Pillar and all the cables are hidden.
I have it fitted to a V60 D3.

The Sat Nav works well and in most cases is better than the factory installed units that came with two XC 90's and a XC 60 which I have owned, but there is one problem - The TMC Antenna, supplied by Volvo is the wrong one (GTM 10).

Can anyone shed any light on this problem.
The dealership are in contact with Volvo UK, but no resolution so far.

Thank you.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:12   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

It should have been supplied with a GTM35 RDS receiver which is built in to the power lead, this is quite a lump of a lead to hide but it is possible, in addition there is a small aerial wire that plugs in to the GTM35 for use in the UK where the RDS signals tend to be weaker than on mainland Europe.

I fitted my 3790T to a Brodit clip attached over one of the center airvents in my V70, all the wiring (including the GTM35) is burried through the airvent and under the dash, looks great and in use if very impressive, I wasn't aware Volvo were fitting these as a factory option though, do you have any pictures of the unit installed - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:54   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

They are not a factory option , a dealer fit accessory ... a nice unit though. I accidently bought one on e-bay complete for £180 with GTM 35
There are GTM 35 units for about £50 on E-bay ...
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:03   #4
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
It should have been supplied with a GTM35 RDS receiver which is built in to the power lead, this is quite a lump of a lead to hide but it is possible, in addition there is a small aerial wire that plugs in to the GTM35 for use in the UK where the RDS signals tend to be weaker than on mainland Europe.

I fitted my 3790T to a Brodit clip attached over one of the center airvents in my V70, all the wiring (including the GTM35) is burried through the airvent and under the dash, looks great and in use if very impressive, I wasn't aware Volvo were fitting these as a factory option though, do you have any pictures of the unit installed - Mike
Thank you.
Fitted at dealers.
I agree that the GTM 35 is the correct antenna if one is plugging the usb directly into the sat nav unit and obtaining the 12 v supply from an external source.

Volvo now have a kit, where everything is hidden and the installation instructions for the TMC Antenna are Part Number 31332483.
The problem is obtaining the correct TMC Antenna as the dealers computer system has been down since Thursday.
I think the part number required, may be 31330255?

If you look at accessories for the XC60 and V60 and under Tech and Sound you will see a photo of the unit mounted to the "A" Pillar. There is also a short vidio.

tem.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:27   #5
tem
Premier Member

Quote:

For installation instructions for the sat nav to the "A" Pillar, look at 31330867.
Generic for most Volvo's.

tem.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:48   #6
mikealder
VOC Member

Wow they know how to charge for that, £525 for a device that can be bought for just over £200. Even if you factor in an extra £50 for a Brodit addaptor its still a very costly way to hide a couple of wires - Mike
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 18:49   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Has anyone had this Sat Nav fitted?
It mounts on a holder which is attached to the "A" Pillar and all the cables are hidden.
I have it fitted to a V60 D3.

The Sat Nav works well and in most cases is better than the factory installed units that came with two XC 90's and a XC 60 which I have owned, but there is one problem - The TMC Antenna, supplied by Volvo is the wrong one (GTM 10).

Can anyone shed any light on this problem.
The dealership are in contact with Volvo UK, but no resolution so far.

Thank you.

tem.
Why do you think the GTM 10 is the wrong one ?
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 19:17   #8
mikealder
VOC Member

The 3790T is supplied with the GTM35 in the same package direct from Garmin, the Garmin web site only shows the GTM35 as compatible, it does not mention the older GTM10 - Mike
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 20:05   #9
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
The 3790T is supplied with the GTM35 in the same package direct from Garmin, the Garmin web site only shows the GTM35 as compatible, it does not mention the older GTM10 - Mike
I am back to the dealers on Thursday.
They phoned me yesterday and assured me that it was a modified (for Volvo) GTM 10.
What has gone wrong with their installation? I do not know.

As the car is only 3 weeks old, I am reluctant to start investigating myself, as everything is hidden behind the central consule and in the "A" Pillar.
Unfortunately, where I live, I do not get Classic FM (The carrier for TMC, in the UK). I need to travel some 20 miles to pick up the station.
I was going to go and pick up the station, remove the end panel and check the Led's, but the weather has been so bad these last three days, I have now decided to wait until Thursday.

What has really confused me, I was given the owners manual for the GTM 10 and the installation instructions are completey different, from Volvo's 31332483 installation instructions.
Will have to wait and see what the outcome is.

As a footnote - I have had factory installed Sat Nav's in 3 MB's and 3 Volvo's and I think that the Garmin Nuvi 3790 is excellent value for money.
I have just done around a 3000 mile trip to the South of France and it never put a foot wrong. Allbeit, I was delayed by several RTA's, due to no TMC.

tem.

Last edited by tem; Oct 25th, 2011 at 20:11.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 20:45   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hello Mike ,

Yes when you buy a 3790T elsewhere ( which is what i did ) you get a GTM 35 which is a self contained unit in the power lead which has a cig lighter plug , the tuner unit half way along the power lead has a jack socket for an aerial wire incorporating a jack plug about one metre long which is supplied .

In the XC60 volvo kit you get a GTM 10 TMC unit , this is separate unit , it does not go in the power lead it is hard wired into the volvo 3790 wiring . This unit is designed to fit in series with a cars aerial lead , but volvo dont use it like this , they have another aerial lead PN 31316190 in the fitting kit which plugs into the IN socket on the GTM 10 The OUT socket is not used . I hope this makes sense .