Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Warrnaty

Views : 2183

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2023, 17:34   #1
arashtrip

Default Volvo Warrnaty

Hi

My 3-years manufacturer's warrany on my S90 (20 reg) is about to expire and they gave me a quote to extend it for about £413

It seems that the extended warranty is offered by a third party called Motors Insurance Company Limited

As it is not the Volvo's own warranty, do you think that is worth it or I can better offer and prices with other third party warranty providers?

Thanks
arashtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 18:42   #2
Thorium

Depends how much hassle you want if you need to make a claim.

The Volvo (third party) extended warranty covers a lot of components and dealers do all the work with the warranty company, so there's no need for you to get pre-approval, etc, for any work that's covered by the policy. All you have to do is ensure your car is serviced and maintained to Volvo standards. The policy does include other benefits too (replacement vehicle, hotel bills, etc).

I've had the Volvo extended warranty for the last 3 years on my XC90 and it's paid for itself every year.

You may be able to get a cheaper quote elsewhere, but watch out for exclusions and limitations. I found it quite difficult to accurately compare the different options due to the various terms and conditions, and in the end the price difference between them and the Volvo offering was not great enough to warrant the extra hassle for me.

The choice is yours...
Thorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thorium For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 18:46   #3
arashtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium View Post
Depends how much hassle you want if you need to make a claim.

The Volvo (third party) extended warranty covers a lot of components and dealers do all the work with the warranty company, so there's no need for you to get pre-approval, etc, for any work that's covered by the policy. All you have to do is ensure your car is serviced and maintained to Volvo standards. The policy does include other benefits too (replacement vehicle, hotel bills, etc).

I've had the Volvo extended warranty for the last 3 years on my XC90 and it's paid for itself every year.

You may be able to get a cheaper quote elsewhere, but watch out for exclusions and limitations. I found it quite difficult to accurately compare the different options due to the various terms and conditions, and in the end the price difference between them and the Volvo offering was not great enough to warrant the extra hassle for me.

The choice is yours...
fair enough! I would go with volvo
arashtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 21:53   #4
NickRno77

Any ideas how much the Volvo warranty is after 4 years, so 5th. Mine select warranty runs out in November.
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 11:35   #5
neilgorin

If you've not had trouble with the car, breakdown warranties are often not worth the money - wording can be very selective, example if they state "breakdown" a noisy or failing part is not covered until it breaks and strands you.

These aren't bad cars in general. Mine has needed one DPF sensor and a recalibration of the parking brake, both since 90000 miles - everything else has been standard servicing or (eating of brake disks) not covered by any warranty.
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 12:21   #6
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
If you've not had trouble with the car, breakdown warranties are often not worth the money - wording can be very selective, example if they state "breakdown" a noisy or failing part is not covered until it breaks and strands you.
'Extended warranties' are actually insurance policies and are less comprehensive than than the manufacturer's warranty, which will cover defects as well as component failure, whereas extended warranties - even Volvo's - is limited to component failure.

Like all insurance whether to buy a policy depends on your attitude to risk.

Personally I wouldn't run one of these cars without some form of warranty. They are complex vehicles and when they go wrong it can get very expensive, very quickly...
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 12:55   #7
Kingmunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRno77 View Post
Any ideas how much the Volvo warranty is after 4 years, so 5th. Mine select warranty runs out in November.

Likely around £600-650
Kingmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 13:36   #8
C320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmunky View Post
Likely around £600-650
Spot on, we just paid £607 to renew the warranty on our XC90 T5. The Selekt warranty was due to expire so this was the renewal price offered.
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 14:10   #9
tatased

slightly off topic.

Does anyone know how long (maximum) we can get an extended volvo warranty for ? is it 5 years or 7 ?

I have had 3 years then extended for one more year, runs out in august ....
I wouldn't want to own out of warranty.
tatased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 16:10   #10
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatased View Post
slightly off topic.

Does anyone know how long (maximum) we can get an extended volvo warranty for ? is it 5 years or 7 ?

I have had 3 years then extended for one more year, runs out in august ....
I wouldn't want to own out of warranty.
I bought my Dec 16 Volvo with a 2 year Selekt in Jan 22 and was told I could extend up to end of 2026, if that helps?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote