Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bell.co.uk Safe Driver Scheme

Views : 2261

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 13:41   #1
zeroXten

Talking Bell.co.uk Safe Driver Scheme

Just thought I'd mention getting my insurance trough Bell.co.uk's safe driver scheme. I'm 31, but haven't owned a car for about 4 years, so no No Claims Bonus, and the car is just for family day trips with the wife and my 1 year old daughter. This meant insurance quotes for a my 2002 S40 SE 2.0 Auto were coming in at about £1200. Aviva wanted £4000 o_O

Anyway, found Bell.co.uk which gave me a quote of £600 through their Safe Driver Scheme. Its a relatively new idea. They install a GPS tracking device that looks at how far you travel, how fast, what times and how much you accelerate and brake etc (not in realtime though). You can then save even more money if you're in the top 20% safe drivers, or get a capped additional cost if you're in the bottom 20%.

Apparently you can even see how well you are doing online, but I haven't really used the car since the device was installed on Tuesday.

Has anyone else heard of this scheme? Seems to be quite a winner for drivers like me.

zeroXten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 13:46   #2
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

There as been a lot of talk of this on the forum especially for youger driver, I personal think it is a good idea but some seem to think it is big brother watching your every move and that the blackbox will brainwash everyone into voting Consevative and make them read the Daily Mail.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 15:30   #3
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

I got a quote through them through the web, and phoned up to confirm details before I paid .. and the conversation went along the lines of .. "

Op: Would you be willing to have a tracker fitted as part of the safe driver scheme?"
Me: Uh .... not really.
Op: Oh. Um. Well, they're compulsory.
Me: Then why did you ask me?
Op: Um .. Oh, your quotes loaded ... *subject change*

They were only £50 cheaper with their box fitted than Elephant were - and both quotes were with all mods declared!
I rung Elephant, they matched the quote (and then took a bit more off!), and didn't want to fit things to my car. If I wan't to have my driving graded I'll just turn on my Garmin, that can do it all for me.

Do you have to pay for the removal of the box at the end of the year? I know you're liable for any damage or tampering that happens to it. Is it visible? Will they lower your premium through the year if you drive really well, or does it just not go up?
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 19:08   #4
James_N
VOC Member

Sod that for a game!

OP - where do you live?! Iraq? I'm only 28 but even with zero no claims, I can insure much more exotic things than a volvo S40 for much less than that! No way i'd ever agree to have one of these dodgy boxes fitted.

You really have to shop around when it comes to insurance quotes (and I mean, everywhere, not just "comparison sites"). My insurance should be around £220 when it comes to renewal in a few weeks.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 23:43   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

Volvo2002 knows this topic inside out. Post 46.

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Sep 22nd, 2012 at 23:46.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 23:47   #6
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
Sod that for a game!

OP - where do you live?! Iraq? I'm only 28 but even with zero no claims, I can insure much more exotic things than a volvo S40 for much less than that! No way i'd ever agree to have one of these dodgy boxes fitted.

You really have to shop around when it comes to insurance quotes (and I mean, everywhere, not just "comparison sites"). My insurance should be around £220 when it comes to renewal in a few weeks.
You're at the age when insurance isn't really an issue. My insurance covers the most expensive age bracket 17-24 (co-op) insurance.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 23:48   #7
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villan View Post
I got a quote through them through the web, and phoned up to confirm details before I paid .. and the conversation went along the lines of .. "

Op: Would you be willing to have a tracker fitted as part of the safe driver scheme?"
Me: Uh .... not really.
Op: Oh. Um. Well, they're compulsory.
Me: Then why did you ask me?
Op: Um .. Oh, your quotes loaded ... *subject change*

They were only £50 cheaper with their box fitted than Elephant were - and both quotes were with all mods declared!
I rung Elephant, they matched the quote (and then took a bit more off!), and didn't want to fit things to my car. If I wan't to have my driving graded I'll just turn on my Garmin, that can do it all for me.

Do you have to pay for the removal of the box at the end of the year? I know you're liable for any damage or tampering that happens to it. Is it visible? Will they lower your premium through the year if you drive really well, or does it just not go up?
My quote on co-ops box when I started £680...

After one year of driving...£400!! Now at age 20 I am paying £38 for my cars insurance drive safe pay less as they say...co-op that is lol.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 23:50   #8
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
There as been a lot of talk of this on the forum especially for youger driver, I personal think it is a good idea but some seem to think it is big brother watching your every move and that the blackbox will brainwash everyone into voting Consevative and make them read the Daily Mail.
lol. I can see why some find it such a bad idea. On the surface it doesn't sound like such a good idea when you are being tracked but like I've said in the topic Volvorocks kindly linked, it's nothing like that and only the drivers that consistently put their foot down will be affected.

Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 23:52   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post
My insurance covers the most expensive age bracket 17-24 (co-op) insurance.
Yeah,foot down - that would be you (or am I confusing you with your mother) - your a loony behind the wheel and you are in 'that' age group...!

(only joking the keys to my Aston,as you know are available to you any time I would trust you to drive anything)!

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; Sep 22nd, 2012 at 23:55. Reason: edited due to obsession......to many dots!
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 23:58   #10
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post

After one year of driving...£400!! Now at age 20 I am paying £38 for my cars insurance drive safe pay less as they say...co-op that is lol.
..........and lets just say that Volvo2002 pays LESS than me on my S40 and I have full NCB, although an 'open door' any driver policy.

Regards

Tags
bell.co.uk, insurance, safe driver scheme, safety