Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

aircon - too hot too cold too hot too cold..

Views : 746

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2015, 14:51   #1
vidapura

Default aircon - too hot too cold too hot too cold..

['04 V40 1.9 Diesel 160k miles]

Folks,

My v40's aircon has only two settings.. too hot or too cold.

If I leave the temp selector on the 'blue' setting (at the bottom of the dial) and turn the fan on then its cool but eventually gets too cold.
If I set the temp to anything other than the bottom 'blue' temp then it just blows hot eventually..

So it can't maintain, say, 18C if I select it.

I don't have an obdII cable to get at fault codes etc.
So I'm probably pushing it asking this .. But..would it be possible for anyone to say whether they think this is just a regassing issue or is it a controller or something else?

Obviously I'm not giving a lot to go on... but if its able to blow cold I'm thinking the gas is ok?

Maybe someone could tell me if there is a way to get a display of the fault codes ? On my old passat the clima panel could be put in a mode that displayed fault codes...

Thanks for looking...

Vida

ps: this could also me being stupid about how to use it.
Does fan have to be set to Auto when I select a temp?
vidapura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 16:12   #2
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Sorry dont know how to fix it but it sounds like a thermostat or temp sensor issue.
Some one in the know will be along shortly to advise you.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 19:45   #3
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

It does seem to work best if you set everything to auto and make sure the vents are open.

But in this case it sounds like its not detecting the temperature properly.

On blue you get full cooling and on red full heating regardless of temp.

There is a sensor behind the little grill in the control panel with a little plastic hose that draws air from the cabin over the sensor for an accurate reading.

There are a few threads on here about removing the climate control unit and replacing various bits.

Could be that your hose wasn't reconnected or the sensor is duff.

You'll be looking at the proper volvo diagnostic equipment if you want to interrogate the climate control unit I expect. Several members have working clones of the equipment and software and may be able to help out if you can get to one of them.

Hopefully someone useful will be along with the links shortly.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 21:04   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Even though I have never heard of this exact problem, it could be various thing that could cause this.

Remove the fascia of the heater control panel and clean the fluff on the temperature sensor. I doubt it will solve your problem, but it is a free fix and will only take you a couple of minutes to do.

Things that could be causing this, could be the actual heater control panel temperature rheostat it faulty, in which case you will need a replacement heater control panel. Or it could be that the motor opening and closing the flap is faulty, or one of the other temperature sensors is playing up. Ideally, you need to get your codes read with VIDA DICE.

You can check if the hot/cold air flap motor is working properly. It is the one behind the stereo. So if you remove the stereo (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE SECURITY CODE before you do this) you can see the motor arm at the bottom left. I just went out and did a video. I just need a way to post it here. I moved the temperature knob in increments of 2 degrees at a time and you can see the arm moving a bit at a time. Then towards the end of the video, I moved the knob from max to min and back and you can see the arm moving continuously from one end to the other

Interesting bit starts at around 39-40th second

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/3lyi7cfrf...vp6ovRq4yl80la

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 22:48   #5
stephend
Premier Member

Related to what gatos said, on mine I found there was a flaky connection at the main multipin connector. If you squeezed it hard, then the hot/cold flap responded to the temperature control, but otherwise not. I used to find it was random whether it would blow hot or cold, and I guess what was happening would be that you'd momentarily get a connection, perhaps as the car went over a bump, and it would adjust to whatever the current setting was.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 11:41   #6
vidapura

Default thanks

Thanks folks for the detailed replies.
Really appreciate them.
Gatos that video is brill... I don't think I'll be able to get that far tho as the car came without any docs so don't have the radio code... sigh.

I'll see if I can find a thread that shows how to get at the sensor behind the grille.

Just one more thing.. I notice that with this car when I put the blower on full blast (regardless of temp) I don't get an air current up into my face like I would in my old passat... no matter what vent setting I pick...

Is that the way it should be or should you get a draft off of it like in other cars?

Or have I got some sort of vent control problem?
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 12:05   #7
coffeejunky
Young Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidapura View Post
Thanks folks for the detailed replies.
Really appreciate them.
Gatos that video is brill... I don't think I'll be able to get that far tho as the car came without any docs so don't have the radio code... sigh.

I'll see if I can find a thread that shows how to get at the sensor behind the grille.

Just one more thing.. I notice that with this car when I put the blower on full blast (regardless of temp) I don't get an air current up into my face like I would in my old passat... no matter what vent setting I pick...

Is that the way it should be or should you get a draft off of it like in other cars?

Or have I got some sort of vent control problem?
You can phone your local Volvo dealer or Rufe at FRF Volvo, they usually give codes for radio free. Don't pay for it, though Just keep trying dealers till you get a compliant one.
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 12:13   #8
druid
V40 Owner

Pull your radio out (without unplugging it) and you MIGHT find the code written on it. Might. its what i did with mine.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 14:30   #9
vidapura

Cool,
I'll try that tonight (if its stopped raining) and see if I'm lucky.
Whats it look like ? A four digit numeric code or something?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to vidapura For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 14:33   #10
coffeejunky
Young Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidapura View Post
Cool,
I'll try that tonight (if its stopped raining) and see if I'm lucky.
Whats it look like ? A four digit numeric code or something?

Thanks
Correct!