Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash cam approved option for new Volvo?

Views : 30469

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2020, 15:00   #51
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipps View Post
That is absolutely brilliant!
That’s true factual.
We buy products like Volvo’s, Apple, Sonos, Dyson, etc, etc For their design lead innovative products that do command a premium price over the mass “Me-To” cloned copycats - but you know that these products are fit for purpose & depend upon ongoing strong positive consumer feedback.
The high design aspect ensures their products JUST WORK & IMHO I would put Blackvue in this same classification of design lead innovative products
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 15:22   #52
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
That’s true factual.
We buy products like Volvo’s, Apple, Sonos, Dyson, etc, etc For their design lead innovative products that do command a premium price over the mass “Me-To” cloned copycats - but you know that these products are fit for purpose & depend upon ongoing strong positive consumer feedback.
The high design aspect ensures their products JUST WORK & IMHO I would put Blackvue in this same classification of design lead innovative products
Just looking at the Blackvue options and reviews and the general advice seems to be to stay with the 750 series and not the 900. The logic being the only difference is the 900 has 4K versus HD on the 750. You need a 4K device to benefit from the increased resolution, and the nighttime footage quality is worse due to the higher resolution. It sounds like with the 750 you may have the best option all round Blackvue have.

Do you see much drain on the battery in parking mode, especially if left at the airport for a few days (or in lockdown now!). Also, how much data is used when utilising the cloud capabilities? Thanks.
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 15:33   #53
Pipps

That is very useful to hear. Thank you
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 19:33   #54
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
Just looking at the Blackvue options and reviews and the general advice seems to be to stay with the 750 series and not the 900. The logic being the only difference is the 900 has 4K versus HD on the 750. You need a 4K device to benefit from the increased resolution, and the nighttime footage quality is worse due to the higher resolution. It sounds like with the 750 you may have the best option all round Blackvue have.

Do you see much drain on the battery in parking mode, especially if left at the airport for a few days (or in lockdown now!). Also, how much data is used when utilising the cloud capabilities? Thanks.
Umm, see what you mean on the 900 v 750 comparisons - maybe I just want the latest/fastest/newest but with research one always finds the best model.

I use the Blackvue PowerMagic option that I would normally have a 12 hr limit as the car is parked in my garage, so only really needed when parking away from home. Obviously if someone nicks the car then the dashcam would auto start & begin Recording/ logging.......unless off course they are smart enough to disconnect the device in which case you are bugged but by placing the camera behind the passenger sunblind that is always keep down so discretely hides it.
Finally as regards data usage, I must admit I have zero idea. Obviously the data uploads are dependent upon so many factors such as the sensitivity levels you have set for the parking/movement sensors, your vehicle usage, etc.
In my case I get by with a 32GB pre-paid Sims on the 3 Network that lasts me for about 9 months - also used for Map downloads, limited Internet Radio usage.
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 19:38   #55
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
Why you want a dash cam in the first place?
Because when someone runs into you from behind when you are stationary then effectively does a runner it makes your insurance claim much easier. (don't ask how I know)
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boatie For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 19:49   #56
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipps View Post
This sounds like absolute nonsense. We have been using our Thinkware F770 with our MY19 XC60 for over six months now and never had even the slightest problem. Ask them to show you evidence of the problem.
I've just spent the last couple of days fitting my S/H Thinkware F770 to my new V90 R Design. Second hand because The dealer actively encouraged me to remove it from my previous V90. In his words " we'd have to remove it before will could sell the car". The kit more than justified itself in the last car. Absolutely no issues in 3 years.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 20:04   #57
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
Because when someone runs into you from behind when you are stationary then effectively does a runner it makes your insurance claim much easier. (don't ask how I know)
My sister was in a situation where she was stopped in traffic and an elderly lady crashed into her from behind, pushing her into the car in front. The car in front claimed to have two impacts. First from my sister hitting her and then from the car behind hitting them both. Camera to record proved invaluable to determine what actually happened. Turns out the cars in front and behind were travelling together.
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 00:29   #58
Davebbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
My sister was in a situation where she was stopped in traffic and an elderly lady crashed into her from behind, pushing her into the car in front. The car in front claimed to have two impacts. First from my sister hitting her and then from the car behind hitting them both. Camera to record proved invaluable to determine what actually happened. Turns out the cars in front and behind were travelling together.
I won’t be without mine now. I’ve had a dashcam since 2015, started with a Nextbase 402g, that started playing up so replaced with a cheap and nasty RoadHawk in a hurry, turns out the Nextbase just needed a new battery so started running that again and shoved the RoadHawk in the back. It’s the cylinder sort and I’ve got heavily tinted windows (95% over the optional factory tints!), so cant be seen from outside and it still picks up video really well to be fair to it. Got a Nextbase 522g up front and I can barely see it. It’s easy to forget it’s there!

As for how invaluable they are, I’ve been fortunate enough not to call upon mine, but my old man was hit around a year ago. Traffic light controlled roundabout, someone ran their red light and ran clean into his front corner. 68 plate Prius took the hit well and was only off the road and with Toyota for just over a week! He had a dashcam but was a cheap dealer supplied one that he’d take out every night as he parks on the street, and he was heading out in a hurry and forgot to put it in. As a result it went knock for knock with an increased premium to go with it... I’ve since hardwired a Nextbase into both parents’ cars with stealth mounts!
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 05:08   #59
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
i might have a clue...
And also as a security safety i believe.

Stay safe.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Apr 25th, 2020 at 05:12.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 07:10   #60
Pipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbass View Post
... As a result it went knock for knock with an increased premium to go with it... I’ve since hardwired a Nextbase into both parents’ cars with stealth mounts!
I wouldn't worry. Omitting to use his dashcam probably made no difference to the overall outcome.

For example, we were driven into recently while approaching a set of traffic lights and caught the whole incident on our front and rear dashcams.

Upon sending the full footage to our shyster insurers (esure), along with two litigation standard witness statements, they nonetheless responded declaring that they never pay out such claims regardless of evidence.

It therefore seems that a dashcam is practically worthless in an RTA unless you are also willing to sue. Good to know.