Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 xc60 2.4 lux 5d problems

Views : 489

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2019, 20:15   #1
woodlandofficer

Default 2008 xc60 2.4 lux 5d problems

Hi guys hoping someone can can give advice on this.
I bought this car new to me on saturday just gone, good drive home from leeds about 70 mile, steady 70ish all the way, car seemed fine and was parked up until tonight when i needed to use it.
car unlocked fine, put the key in and pressed the start button and nothing happened apart from lights on the dash flashing everywhere, so i did a bit og googling and tried the take the battery of trick to see if the key would come out when battery put back on, ( no such luck ), anyway i decided to get the jump leads on and jump the car back to life, Now i always thought it should act as normal with being hooked up to the other car but no it didnt, i had to leave the leads on for a while then the car would start and stop on the button and key would eject, i had a warning come up saying low battery, so my question is if i am thinking right if i just replace the battery with a new one all should be fine from that point on.

Sorry but after getting the car running the engine management light is staying on as constant, will this reset once a new battery is on when it detects a proper currant.
Hope this makes sense. Forgot to add the key was stuck in the car until i could get the car started.
Regards Chris

Last edited by woodlandofficer; Jun 4th, 2019 at 20:16. Reason: more info
woodlandofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 22:28   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187

The link above is the forum for the MK 1 where you will find more help if you require it again.
When you say it would not start, was it turning over or nothing, if it was turning over then a new battery will most likely be all that's required, the engine management light may need further investigation and may be related to the cat if a lot of cranking and unburnt fuel was being passed down the pipe, this might clear after a good blast.
If I remember if gear selector is not in neutral or park the key will not come out, I have seen a youtube video of someone clearing a engine management light by disconnecting both leads and leaving it for 20 mins then touching the leads together for a second ( away from battery) but the fault has to be corrected first.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 4th, 2019 at 22:31.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 22:35   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandofficer View Post
Hi guys hoping someone can can give advice on this.
I bought this car new to me on saturday just gone, good drive home from leeds about 70 mile, steady 70ish all the way, car seemed fine and was parked up until tonight when i needed to use it.
car unlocked fine, put the key in and pressed the start button and nothing happened apart from lights on the dash flashing everywhere, so i did a bit og googling and tried the take the battery of trick to see if the key would come out when battery put back on, ( no such luck ), anyway i decided to get the jump leads on and jump the car back to life, Now i always thought it should act as normal with being hooked up to the other car but no it didnt, i had to leave the leads on for a while then the car would start and stop on the button and key would eject, i had a warning come up saying low battery, so my question is if i am thinking right if i just replace the battery with a new one all should be fine from that point on.

Sorry but after getting the car running the engine management light is staying on as constant, will this reset once a new battery is on when it detects a proper currant.
Hope this makes sense. Forgot to add the key was stuck in the car until i could get the car started.
Regards Chris
If it’s battery related then it’s really only a case of battery not working or alternator/wiring packed up.

I would try and get a volt meter and see testing volvage. Should be 12.4 plus volts.

Start up and should be 14v or thereabouts.

If when running the voltage does not increase it’s the alternator. If when running the voltage is up it’s most likely the battery.

My xc90 will not allow me to remove key in anything other than park.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 22:45   #4
simonjedrake
Premier Member

My bets are on a battery issue which if yours is the original will be 11 years old which is about the life expectancy of a genuine Volvo OEM battery.

The forum thread relevant to the earlier XC60’s is https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187 were a lot of very knowledgeable folk will help you especially “Clan” who is a top Volvo mechanic.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 05:03   #5
Ringthane
VOC Member

All of the above, plus, on my 2010 (MY2011) XC60, I soon got tired of putting my key in the slot, because my keys rubbed on the dash, and rattled. I did have keyless entry though. The issue of not being able to remove the key was a pain as well, if I didn’t have the gear in P, or some other reason, that had to be met, before the key could be removed.

Good luck getting it resolved.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 06:39   #6
woodlandofficer

Guys thank you for getting back to me, gonna get the battery drop tested as soon as i can battery is in a bit of a ****e state so going to buy a new one today anyway, if i can get a written report when i have the old battery tested the dealer i bought the car from will reinburse me for new battery.

Thank you for the above link
Regards Chris.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 13:36   #7
woodlandofficer

Default Update

Well got the new battery and everything is back to normal so fingers crossed for the future with this new to me car.
Got the old battery on charge and going to get it tested on friday and send the dealer the test report, he did say yesterday he would buy a new battery if needed, so i hope he keeps his word.

Thanks Guys

Regards Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to woodlandofficer For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 14:05   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandofficer View Post
Well got the new battery and everything is back to normal so fingers crossed for the future with this new to me car.
Got the old battery on charge and going to get it tested on friday and send the dealer the test report, he did say yesterday he would buy a new battery if needed, so i hope he keeps his word.

Thanks Guys

Regards Chris
Thanks for feedback, glad you got it sorted ok, these diesel cars require a good battery to start them, your old battery will not be holding enough charge after being left standing overnight. The cars are very well made and you should not have many problems with it.
Enjoy lots if happy motoring with it.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote