Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I'm Back 😉

Views : 400

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2020, 19:32   #1
genghisk

Default I'm Back 😉

Hi All.

Firstly let me start by saying it's good to be back. Since selling my V40 1.9 for parts I've had a few other makes of car and so a few different forums and I must say none as helpful and informative as this.

Well I'm back with a 1997 V40 T4. Only driven it back today but love it already. I'm sure there will be loads of issues to sort once I've looked at it properly but for now I'll leave you with this.

When locked via fob. The hazards flash as if alarm is on but without a siren....??? Any ideas. I'm on this forum on my phone so it won't let me search for some reason..

Thanks all in advance
genghisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 20:52   #2
P156KWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisk View Post
Hi All.

Firstly let me start by saying it's good to be back. Since selling my V40 1.9 for parts I've had a few other makes of car and so a few different forums and I must say none as helpful and informative as this.

Well I'm back with a 1997 V40 T4. Only driven it back today but love it already. I'm sure there will be loads of issues to sort once I've looked at it properly but for now I'll leave you with this.

When locked via fob. The hazards flash as if alarm is on but without a siren....??? Any ideas. I'm on this forum on my phone so it won't let me search for some reason..

Thanks all in advance
Welcome back (not that I've been here long at all)!

Not sure about with the fob as mine doesn't do this, but if I unlock with the key itself and open the door the same happens, but I think the siren unit is disconnected! Immobiliser not arming properly perhaps?
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 08:35   #3
genghisk

Hmmm... managed to lock it with the key last night but both keys feel like they're gonna break. As in the rubber heads might come off the key themselves... hope your loving your 1.9D as much as I did. It was a great car mine. Ended its days with over 200k...
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 16:14   #4
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

A loop or two of duck tape around each key should keep them intact until you decide what to do with them. As you probably know, as a returning member, that it might be cheaper to replace the locks etc from a breakers rather than obtain two new matched and coded keys.

Search on here if you want to look into that in more detail.
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 18:20   #5
genghisk

I'm not sure about the replacement keys... they're not like my phase 2 keys are they still expensive to replace?
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 09:16   #6
genghisk

Just cleaned her up and found the switch under the bonnet so I moved it over so that it doesn't make contact and this seems to have sorted it for now. Cheers guys
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 13:35   #7
magnuz
Ancient

Plastic key cases are available on ebay, etc ..If you carefully cut the old key open, you can transfer the transponder chip & the key blade ( with a bit of fettling ) to the new case .
See here for more info https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...37#post2543937
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 15:31   #8
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Re the transponder, a workaround I've read about on here is to simply remove a transponder from a chip and tape it up inside the steering column cowl.

That means that any cut key will start the car (since the transponder is obviously near enough) but anyone with a copy could in theory steal your car.

It's certainly a cheaper alternative, even as a temp fix, if the keys are in bad nick & the cost of a full replacement isn't wanted.

magnuz's idea is a good one too.