Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 2.0T 2005 automatic - transmission fault?

Views : 2450

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2022, 03:18   #11
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

ok yea just watched the video, sounds like the safety switch on the lever mech. dunno what its called but it doesnt let you shift out of park without foot being on brake
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 17:10   #12
MRkSTL

Thank you all guys for the suggestions. I will drop it at the garage anyway as I'm also having intermittent ABS fault (usually over 60mph). My fault reader says there is an intermittent signal from the ABS sensor, but I don't think it's the sensor itself that causes the ABS/Anti-skid fault along with Brake service fault. It doesn't happen at low speeds ,so I guess it's the ABS ring which I don't really have time to replace. I hope they will inspect it properly and fix it if it's the ring
MRkSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 20:01   #13
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Sounds about right, obviously don't let them sting you for a new driveshaft .. the ring is about £5 tops, labour is a bit intensive though there's a fair bit of disassembly to get to it

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 21:49   #14
MRkSTL

Yeah, I saw a video and to be honest ,I'm not up for it. Sensor replacement looks relatively easy, but if I start to replace the ring, it will take a whole I guess and having two small children at home, won't help Ring is cheap ,but as you mentioned, they could charge for few hours of labour. The sensor on the other hand , two garages quoted me around £150 for part and labour ,saying the sensor itself cost around £80 ,but i found sensors on autodoc for around 20-25 and it's shouldn't take too much time if it's that in the end. I only wonder where are the two mounting points as the wires have got two brackets that look like you had to press them into somewhere.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 22:47   #15
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

well I know the wheel end is simple, it's one bolt (10mm or 8mm head?), you give it a nudge with a screwdriver to loosen it, and it pull it out by the wire gently. 10min job including taking the wheel off. It clips to the suspension strut, then goes off into the car somewhere

that's where my knowledge ends because I've never had to replace one but it can't be that hard to trace and find the other end (I'd probably look it up on VIDA first)

as for the children solutions vary wildly lol I usually give mine their nintendo switches and they stay quiet long enough to get a job done but you do have to be sparing with the screens don't you, it's not easy I know. I have one who tries to be helpful bless him but he's not quite old enough and just makes things take longer haha once day I'll get him trained up

mini project - link
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 12:53   #16
MRkSTL

Mine are 7 months and 3 years Both girls and the older one loves to "help me out", hence I don't want to start something that would usually take me couple of hours as I would do it whole day with her ;D

Btw. They have just sent me a visual health check with pictures and the ABS ring is broken. They advise to replace the whole driveshaft which is 779.40...I thought they will try to do that as it's profitable and probably easier to replace the whole driveshaft. They also found corroded fuel filter (£238.51), but I'm not sure if the price is not too high for that? I'm still waiting for a verdict on the transmission issue.

Edit: i called them and asked if they could replace the ring on its own. They obviously advised again to replace the whole driveshaft,but in the end told me that replacing the just the ring is still £354.84. I called different garage and got a quote £256 to replace the CV joint along with the ring (as they don't replace the ring only). They also quoted me £68 for the fuel filter replacement (against £238.51)... I could do the fuel filter with the other garage, but still £256 for the CV joint sounds more than I expected, but I might be wrong?

Last edited by MRkSTL; Oct 10th, 2022 at 13:57.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRkSTL For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 13:39   #17
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

christ on a bike! the fuel filter is about 10 quid, and takes all of 20mins to change! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XxmAPz0GJ0 just be a little careful with the connecting plugs because the clips can get a bit brittle, still even that is cheap enough to fix, you just don't want to be waiting around for another delivery. If you were closer I'd nip over and do it for you, don't even need to jack the car up

the shaft, I guess it depends on the state of the CV joint and gaiter etc but you can pick one up for a fraction of that cost, besides which a new one just probably isn't necessary

if the old ring is cracked it will take very little effort to get off, then a wire brush on a drill to clean up the end, maybe a little bit of dremelling. bake the new ring in the oven and tap it on

I would have a ring around some other garages and find one who's willing to do that, and make them aware you know how much the parts cost. even order the part yourself and take it with you if necessary

mine are 7 and 5, so I guess we're a bit further past that sort of more urgent constant care and attention phase, I do still wonder about them sometimes though the crazy stuff they do and think is perfectly normal... kids eh

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Oct 10th, 2022 at 13:42.
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 14:54   #18
MRkSTL

https://garagelink.garagehive.co.uk/...5b9331c9620a67

That's the link for the visual check. You can see partially the condition of the CV joint gaiter (looks ok from the pic but I also sent them an email and asked to precise it's state). Fuel filter is badly corroded, but actually doesn't affect the fuel system (so far). I will have it changed ,but not for nearly £240...

I will try to find a place that could replace the ring only and see how much would they quote me. £256 for the CV joint is still better than £354 for the ring only, but I guess I can have it done cheaper elsewhere. Im not planning to spend too much on this car as I will most likely change it within next few months.

They asked me to send them the video of the issue as they still can't find any fault... Obviously the diagnostic tool didn't pick up anything.

Edit: i called a local garage and they quoted me £53,50 for the fuel filter and £136,50 for the ABS ring so I know where I'm going to have it done just still don't know the fault with the Parking gear...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221010-144649_Chrome.jpg (65.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221010-144702_Chrome.jpg (84.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by MRkSTL; Oct 10th, 2022 at 16:17.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRkSTL For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 16:51   #19
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Don't spend until you know what's wrong with the box, I've seen it before where this has happened and someone has been £500 down with a car they should've scrapped because they left the really important thing til last.

An old mate spent £1500 getting his car through an mot thinking this will do for a few more years and the next day someone hit it and wrote it off, iirc he got £800 for it in settlement.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 18:34   #20
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRkSTL View Post
Edit: i called a local garage and they quoted me £53,50 for the fuel filter and £136,50 for the ABS ring so I know where I'm going to have it done
now that's a bit more like it!

mini project - link