Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No start after fuel filter change

Views : 836

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2020, 11:01   #1
ca2n

Default No start after fuel filter change

Hello all,

The issue as per the title above.

A bit of a back story:
Two days ago, I was 10 miles away from completing a 100-mile journey. After an acceleration attempt (overtaking, A-road, 60-ish mph), the "Engine System Service Urgent" warning popped up along with the red triangle. I managed to finish the journey with the warning on, albeit with limited engine power.

I turned off the engine after reaching the destination and attempted to start it. It cranked a bit longer than it usually does but fired up. The warning message was gone and no other new warning messages appeared.

Yesterday, I had a local journey to make around town. It still took just that bit longer to fire up. No other issues, no warning messages.

This morning, thinking it might be a fuel filter issue, I replaced the fuel filter which I had planned to do many weeks earlier. The fuel filter was replaced with a Volvo filter. I cycled the ignition 4 times, leaving it on 20 seconds each time to fill the fuel filter housing, as recommended by posts on here.

On the first (slightly longer than usual) crank, the engine fired up only to die a few seconds later. I undid the fuel filter drain screw to see if there was any fuel in the fuel filter housing but hardly anything was coming out (what did come out was probably remnants of existing fuel). I attempted a few more ignition cycles but still barely anything was coming out of the fuel filter drain each time I checked.

Should I keep trying to cycle the ignition and crank? Or is this a sure sign of a faulty fuel pump?
ca2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 13:04   #2
4x4
Premier Member

In theory cycling the ignition on and off should prime the system, but sometimes doesn't so make sure you battery is fully charged and crank it over for 15-30 seconds if it doesn't start leave a few minutes and try again and it should go
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 18:12   #3
ca2n

Thanks. I've just had a couple of goes at it without any success.

I'll keep trying later tonight/tomorrow and crank maybe a bit longer.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 04:27   #4
dambat

How full is the tank? If it's 1/4 full, the internal transfer pump may be bad (or very slow). Try adding 20L. If it's more than 1/4, it may be the main tank pump...
Damien
dambat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dambat For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 09:54   #5
ca2n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambat View Post
How full is the tank? If it's 1/4 full, the internal transfer pump may be bad (or very slow). Try adding 20L. If it's more than 1/4, it may be the main tank pump...
Damien
Thanks for the suggestion. I've read about this recently here. And with around 1/4 full but with the nose pointed down and parked on the kerb o/s wheels up, fuel might not be reaching the pump. I'll give this a go.
The Following User Says Thank You to ca2n For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 13:17   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

As alluded to, make sure there's enough in the tank and the car is level.
When changing the filter, you're creating a huge air gap so the engine will use the remaining fuel in the lines then cut out because the in tank pump can't fill the new, clean and dry filter quickly enough so I always fill the new one with fresh diesel and on those with filter inserts, I soak the insert in diesel and put diesel in the housing before refitting.

The engine then starts and continues to run as if nothing happened.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 18:11   #7
ca2n

Couldn't get anybody to help get more fuel so summoned the AA.

A bit of EasyStart and everything seems to be running fine. Although cranking takes just that bit longer now than I remember. It'll be interesting to see the next cold start. But that's for another thread.

Many thanks for the advice everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ca2n For This Useful Post: