Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Joy Of 240's, with issues...

Views : 56617

Replies : 272

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2020, 17:54   #131
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Well I'll call that a success. It took most of the day, but Grace is now sporting a new clutch, not that you can see it of course. The nicely painted gearbox crossmember on the other hand..
No major issues getting it all back together, initial struggles to get the 'box to go on the last inch or so were soon resolved once I realised that I was trying to move it forward against the CPS mounting point, doh! Add to that having to remove it again because I'd removed the clutch fork so I could have a good look at the input shaft alignment and that made up a fair bit of extra time.
Has is made any difference? Oh yes, gear selection at a standstill is as smooth as silk, reverse goes in without a hint of noise.
Quite pleased with myself, all done single handed with a combination of jacks, ropes and blocks of wood. Always nice to have a good end result.
Excellent, well done.

It is always good to see some Rough Engineering Made Easy (Army joke) that works out well.

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 15:47   #132
CosmicBike

Well that was an education. I drove to the pet shop last night, and at 50 mph I had a terrible transmission/driveline buzz. In my little upside down re-assembly world, I had placed the giubo (rubber flex plate) back not quite right since I got the driveshaft rotation wrong. This meant the output flange was driving against a thin section of the giubo instead of fat. Fortunately it was just a case of removing the 6 bolts, rotating the giubo and bolting back up. Just returned from test drive, all quiet.
Amazing how much difference that little bit of rubber can make.

Next up, door speakers. I have some 10cm units arriving today, so finally some better music.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 19:17   #133
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Well that was an education.
It certainly was! I've never ever heard of giubo couplings before.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 21:11   #134
CosmicBike

Far more straightforward this evening, and in 10 minutes a pair of Kenwood speakers in the front doors. Much improved now that I don't have to deafen those sat in the back (normally my 2 dogs) so that I can hear the music. Alas, only radio stations. The rubber drive band for the cassette player was broken and has been replaced, everything whizzes and spins as it should, but the funny clunky bit that pushes onto the tape itself fails to do so.
Not to worry, I'll pick up one of those little FM transmitter thingies so I can simply bluetooth my phone to the stereo.
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 22:19   #135
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Far more straightforward this evening, and in 10 minutes a pair of Kenwood speakers in the front doors. Much improved now that I don't have to deafen those sat in the back (normally my 2 dogs) so that I can hear the music. Alas, only radio stations. The rubber drive band for the cassette player was broken and has been replaced, everything whizzes and spins as it should, but the funny clunky bit that pushes onto the tape itself fails to do so.
Not to worry, I'll pick up one of those little FM transmitter thingies so I can simply bluetooth my phone to the stereo.
Wonderful -a cassette player!

You could probably find a good 1/2 DIN modern FM/MW/CD/USB/BT player for no more than £20 (used) which would look and sound much better.Half an hour with a heat gun and some self soldering joints and you could have modern DIN connectors as well. You might find that a better solution than a 30-odd year old unit with faults.

I find that solution works fine in the RB:

... in fact I think I'll get rid of the DAB add on unit and just fit a better fixing for a cell phone so I can use it for SATNAV (as well as audio input).

Just a suggestion :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2020, 21:15   #136
CosmicBike

And we were going so well....
Way home this morning after a 12 hour night shift and the brake warning light came on. Touched the brakes, working ok, light went off. Similar pattern all the way home.
Had a sleep. Got up, opened bonnet. Brake/clutch fluid very low. Quick fiddle with clutch slave, fluid all over the drive. I guess I'll order a new one then..
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 10:32   #137
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
And we were going so well....
Way home this morning after a 12 hour night shift and the brake warning light came on. Touched the brakes, working ok, light went off. Similar pattern all the way home.
Had a sleep. Got up, opened bonnet. Brake/clutch fluid very low. Quick fiddle with clutch slave, fluid all over the drive. I guess I'll order a new one then..
That's the problem with the later set-up; the older models have separate reservoirs for brake and clutch systems.

My Chrysler Alpine had the same set-up, but with one typically Gallic logical twist: the low fluid level switch was at the bottom of the reservoir, which any intelligent person would immediately recognise as a VERY BAD AND STUPID IDEA.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 21:47   #138
CosmicBike

Back from a lovely week in the Lakes, and found a new slave cylinder waiting for me. Expected a nightmare job but nope, all done, bled and all in 30 mins. Back on the road again, just as well since Grace is now my car, my van goes in 2 weeks and I have to wait until March for the replacement.
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 08:17   #139
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Back from a lovely week in the Lakes, and found a new slave cylinder waiting for me. Expected a nightmare job but nope, all done, bled and all in 30 mins. Back on the road again, just as well since Grace is now my car, my van goes in 2 weeks and I have to wait until March for the replacement.
That is good news (about the clutch slave).

So, you will just have one 30 year old vehicle through the winter? That is a
very positive testament to the Volvo 240. Good for you!

:-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 12th, 2020 at 08:20.
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 15:06   #140
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

So, you will just have one 30 year old vehicle through the winter? That is a
very positive testament to the Volvo 240. Good for you!

Alan
Well I do have the 34 year old Capri, but I'd have to weld the front wing back on first...