Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 221 Amazon Estate project

Views : 4295

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2020, 20:16   #21
Uncle Benz

It surprised me, but I've actually had some work this week! I look after most of the staff cars at the local doctors surgery, and the district nurses and a couple of doctors had some cars that needed repairs.

I found a little bit of time to prepare and paint the rear axle.

Other than that, nothing to report.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Benz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 00:10   #22
Uncle Benz

Only a little bit today. Radius arms attached to the rear axle, brake cylinders bolted on and I made up a couple of brake pipes.

Old Apr 18th, 2020, 05:47   #23
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
I bought this car about three years ago from longstanding club member John Smith. I think he took the car off the road in about 1981 for some repairs to the front wing mounting rails. He got as far as removing the engine and gearbox, cut off the mounting rail "shotguns" but ran aground at that point. I was heavily vetted, and then eventually invited to purchase the car and an extensive stock of spare parts John had amassed over the years

My heart sank a little when I offered up the repair panels to find they didn't fit by a country mile. I think the passage of time sat on its wheels with the inner wings cut away had allowed the chassis rails to relax a bit. In a bit of a huff with it, I left the car on my spare two post lift for three long years to sulk. With all this terrible Corona business I have some time on my hands so decided to give the old Amazon another look. Turns out three years hanging has helped a lot, and the repair panels fit again!
Nice work!

Last edited by tdz840; Apr 18th, 2020 at 05:53.
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 20:32   #24
Uncle Benz

Sooooo, big picture issue on the last post. I’m not sure what I did wrong. Hopefully it won’t happen again...

A little bit of progress. Rob came to have a look at the car. He spent three hours going over it, and declared it worthy of painting
I had a spare lower tailgate with fewer dents than the one on the car. After pulling off the inner liner Rob decided the existing one with dents was a better proposition. The spare, although straight as a die, was rusty on the inside of the frame. The original on the car is rust free. Fixing the dents is better.
The top tailgate is a different story. The one on the car is rotten on the bottom face. Badly rotten. I have a spare, which looked much better. Much better until I took the glass out. Sadly it has a portion of the return that the screen rubber holds over that has rotted away. I can fix it, but I haven’t decided yet whether to make a repair or cut a section from the old tailgate (luckily its just about the only bit that isn’t rotten!). Latter is the best way I think. My stepfather thinks he has a good upper tailgate in his shed, so we have a plan C as well.
Rob wants to collect all removable panels this week so he can get started. In the meantime I fitted the rear axle. Pictures time!
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 20:58   #25
Uncle Benz

I’m unsure whether I have the keeper plate that holds the lower end of the axle check strap the right way round. It seems logical to me the way I have it, but if anyone knows I’d appreciate the input. It’s a 5 min job to swap if needed.

Another question, the handbrake cable routes between the upper and lower arms, but it appears quite “loose” in there. Is there any other clamp that holds it, to the lower arm perhaps?

Brake lines are all plumbed. Servo, master cylinder and front calipers coming from Brookhouse next week. I’ve decided to stick with the original single circuit system for, well, originality I guess. I had some old parts and seal kits, but with a single circuit system you don’t really get a second chance, so I’ve gone for brand new parts throughout for the brakes. I’m making the lines myself in cupro-nickel. Copper would probably have been the original, but I use cupro lines on everything these days - modern cars with esp can have very high line pressures - so plenty of raw material in stock.
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 20:59   #26
Uncle Benz

Damn. Big pictures again. What am I doing wrong?
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 21:15   #27
Uncle Benz

I also had a few concerns about the fuel tank. My stepdad had worried me with tales of Eastwood kits for lining rusty tanks. I took the sender out (all screws removed easy peasy. I expected them to be grief!) I needent have worried! The inside of the tank was shiny metal. Like brand new in fact. Phew!

Last edited by Uncle Benz; Apr 25th, 2020 at 22:34.
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 13:29   #28
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Damn. Big pictures again. What am I doing wrong?
You're not resizing them before upload. The system is set to reject large pictures and that usually happens. 1600 x 1024 max as noted below the browse section of the upload box. Your first pic is 4032 x 3024 and well over the max. If you don't need to archive the pics in this large size, change the size settings on your camera or phone before taking the pictures.
Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Derek UK; Apr 26th, 2020 at 13:33. Reason: Addition.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 15:30   #29
Uncle Benz

Quote:
Rob's last job. Hubba Hubba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
You're not resizing them before upload. The system is set to reject large pictures and that usually happens. 1600 x 1024 max as noted below the browse section of the upload box. Your first pic is 4032 x 3024 and well over the max. If you don't need to archive the pics in this large size, change the size settings on your camera or phone before taking the pictures.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks Derek, I’ll give that a go. It’s probably too late to do anything about these now?
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 19:50   #30
Uncle Benz

Today I got the calipers on, fitted the brake lines and front pads

Started having a look at the upper tailgate. The original on the car had rusted internally on the bottom face, probably due to water ingress through the hinges

It sounded like a Mexican maraca when you shook it. It was paper thin in many places. Probably past saving. The spare I have is much better, apart from some rot where water has got in under the screen rubber. Importantly it had not rusted from the inside out. I cut out the damaged bit on the outside

And then the inside piece

It's my intention to cut a repair piece from my original tailgate, which amazingly is good in this area

Fingers crossed it's good on the inside when I cut the repair piece out. If it isn't I'll have to make a repair section from scratch. It's curved two ways, so that'll be more difficult...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Benz For This Useful Post: