Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leather seats

Views : 1226

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2020, 21:58   #1
badger146

Default Leather seats

recently got s40 with leather seats but when I got it , was filthy like the hillbillys been living in it. while cleaning seats it looks like rear has been dyed. does anyone know where the colour code for seats would be as I found code on vin plate as 7990 is this only trim code??? they are grey. but longer I look the more I convince myself its ivory/ or light grey as Volvo brochure looking to get them back to half decent nick. also..windscreen moter not pushing water,,,, can I go thru wheel fender to replace,,,,,,not bumper of caper. 04.s40 only 54k done. thanks
badger146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 18:27   #2
loelly

I had black paint deliverd tru Ebay,Other color also for sale there.If you repaint all the color is the same on all seats
loelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 22:06   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

7990 is the interior trim code. The leather seats are, Arena, which is a lightgrey/pale beige sort of colour.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2020, 22:03   #4
badger146

I got a light grey dye ,,,more like emulsuin paint . but the colour was way off the colour. now I have to try take off. more of an ivory colour. 7990 is colour Volvo brochure for leather in it banging my head against a brick wall. arena in brochure is grey but ivory????
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 15:24   #5
Mike Stephenson

Default S40 leather seats

Hi, having reconditioned all four seats, in my opinion there is only one supplier worth their salt. GLIPTONE. Address: Unit 9, Waverton Business Park, Saighton Ln, Waverton, Chester CH3 7PD Phone: 01244 888658. I went to the original business premises in Todmordern, Lance, before they moved, and the guy there came out to the car with a shade card and mixed the right colour on the sppot. They use dye and not paint. They also construcy a refurbisment kit containing various other bits including leather "food" and chromate additives. Gliptone are expensive, but they are the best in the business. I have no idea how they operate now, but I suspect that they are as professional as ever. Most Cassic resto professionals use them on their prestige cars.
Mike Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Stephenson For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 19:08   #6
badger146

went to Volvo dealership local . they told me arena light beige, but I already knew that, but still couldn't tell me what colour arena is , 2guys didn't even know what it was . regarding gliptone im not convinced ,, all I want bottled dye rub on leather and seal it..i got maybe intension to use colourlock they have arena on there system,,,but does not look the colour of interior ARRRRGGGG. maybe try for colour if not wright just send back:confuse
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 13:10   #7
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

You could send a small sample piece of removed leather (hidden place) to the likes of Woolies https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ they can mix the colour to the sample: ~

This company has been in business for many years supplying various classic car materials- other very similar classic leather restorers exist so this may also be an option if you look for them.
Trust it helps.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 03:07   #8
badger146

my seats are 2004 phase 2 I take it. am I correct in saying arena leather colour would the most coloured covering the seats. in rear bench it looks cream / or light beige. its cream on bottom panel nearest carpet. previos owner didn't put much thought into it , it looks like . ive taken good few photos but unable to upload. ive looked at colourlocks Volvo samples .sandstone beige and,or blonde look closer to mine. any thoughts
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 15:08   #9
ITSv40
VOC Member

There were only two colours of leather in S/V40 phase 2: Arena and Off black.

Your car left the factory with Arena leather, so if it is not the same colour now it has either faded or been recoloured with some dodgy dye. I presume the front seats are the correct colour, if so, you need some dye to match the fronts and completely recolour the rears to match.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 17:14   #10
badger146

Unhappy

no . the rear backrest seem to be nearer arena , but headrest front arena but side panels seem light cream , light beige I took of and had a look in daylight its like 2tone colour. if its faded ,, then its faded badly . there are 2 maybe 3 panel on rear bench have lost almost all pigment. front look light cream , maybe ivory . the further look up front it starts changing colour. if only I could upload photos for everybody to take a look. I don't think any previous owners treated the leather at all.it was filthy ,cleaned with soapy water this 2inch brush to try get into grains, but probably still dirty but don't want damage seats, as no rips or tears