Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 Questions

Views : 1484

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 07:21   #1
bwmxyz

Default V60 Questions

Hi all,

We are agonising over which used car to buy at the minute - XC60 or V60 - but are leaning toward the V60 as its less of a step up in size and also cheaper purchase and running costs.

We're looking at the D3 and D4 diesels and definitely wanted to get an auto box. We'd be buying a 2015 or newer car.

I wanted to ask a few questions of the experts on here if you don't mind:

1. Which geartronic box comes on the D3 as of 2015/2016? Is it 6 speed or 8 speed and is it a good box? There seems to have been a change from one 6 speed box to another around that time?

2. The D3 looks powerful enough on paper - we previously had a Mini Clubman D with virtually identical power and torque and it was fine. How is it in reality?

3. I've read about Polestar optimisation - is that available for the D3 to increase power a little or is that a D4 only option?

4. Is the sunroof on the V60 worth having? I notice its only a small one which is disappointing vs the large panoramic job on the XC60.

That's all I can think of for now but if I think of anything else I'll add it here or below.

Thanks in advance.
bwmxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 12:01   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

The automatic gearbox in the V60 D3 is 6-speed and excellent in use.

The VEA D3 is an excellent engine for the V60, providing a very lively performance that’s largely the equal of my own VEA D4 V70 with the exception of top speed, which is irrelevant in practical terms.

My wife’s 65-reg D3 R-Design also feels more responsive than my V70, and certainly handles better. It’s a fun drive but can equally be used to potter around. It’s also a good and versatile family car if required.

In addition, the D3 is a single turbo, which will be cheaper to run to a higher mileage.

My personal belief is that a conventional estate gives you more bang for your buck and a far better drive than an SUV, but that’s just a personal preference.

(The XC60 that I test drove understeered very noticeably and wasn’t as big inside as I’d expected. Moreover, the XC60 is a slower vehicle due to the additional weight and drag. Also, the driving position wasn’t as good IMHO. If you do opt for an XC60 also consider the FWD version as it’s cheaper to buy, faster to drive and there’s far less to go wrong.)

Finally, a test drive will answer a number of your questions.

Have fun!
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 12:16   #3
bwmxyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
The automatic gearbox in the V60 D3 is 6-speed and excellent in use.

The VEA D3 is an excellent engine for the V60, providing a very lively performance that’s largely the equal of my own VEA D4 V70 with the exception of top speed, which is irrelevant in practical terms.

My wife’s 65-reg D3 R-Design also feels more responsive than my V70, and certainly handles better. It’s a fun drive but can equally be used to potter around. It’s also a good and versatile family car if required.

In addition, the D3 is a single turbo, which will be cheaper to run to a higher mileage.

My personal belief is that a conventional estate gives you more bang for your buck and a far better drive than an SUV, but that’s just a personal preference.

(The XC60 that I test drove understeered very noticeably and wasn’t as big inside as I’d expected. Moreover, the XC60 is a slower vehicle due to the additional weight and drag. Also, the driving position wasn’t as good IMHO. If you do opt for an XC60 also consider the FWD version as it’s cheaper to buy, faster to drive and there’s far less to go wrong.)

Finally, a test drive will answer a number of your questions.

Have fun!
Thanks for this - really useful info!
bwmxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 12:26   #4
dhr90

Can’t answer many of your questions, but regarding a sunroof, I held out for a car with one, it makes a big difference to how light and airy the interior feels despite being a relatively small size sunroof. When I was looking for my V60 I found the cars with a dark interior and no sunroof to be more like a black hole inside, even more so if the windows were tinted. A sunroof and beige interior really improve the light inside and give a more premium feel in my opinion. They are about, especially if you’re willing to travel a fair distance to buy.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 13:59   #5
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmxyz View Post
Thanks for this - really useful info!
Just checked and there doesn't appear to be a Polestar option for the D3, but there's always Sports Mode to perk things up.

Personally, however, having just driven my wife's V60 50 miles home from her mother's, Polestar isn't really needed.

FYI, all of the Volvo Polestar options can be found via this link: -

https://engineered.polestar.com/intl...odel-selector/

Select your model, your market and then your model year and off you go.

This page is worth bookmarking, by the way, since it's otherwise hard to locate.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 21:02   #6
Toprivetguns

Id recommend the V60 D5 Auto. When fully laden driving up and down the A303 it's an absolute dream especially when you overtake. It handsomely returns 42.1mpg and the engine is a peach.

I concur with the sunroof comments. It lets a good amount of light into the cabin and comes into its own during the summer. With the right tyres it handles really well for an estate. Id try to find the SE Lux nav model as the headlights, BLIS and adaptive cruise control are fantastic.
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 22:09   #7
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toprivetguns View Post
Id recommend the V60 D5 Auto. When fully laden driving up and down the A303 it's an absolute dream especially when you overtake. It handsomely returns 42.1mpg and the engine is a peach.

I concur with the sunroof comments. It lets a good amount of light into the cabin and comes into its own during the summer. With the right tyres it handles really well for an estate. Id try to find the SE Lux nav model as the headlights, BLIS and adaptive cruise control are fantastic.
Verging on a muscle car....

BUT when did it go out of production?

Also VED will be rather higher.

BUT still like the idea.

Last edited by Sotosound; Jul 2nd, 2020 at 22:11.
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 22:21   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Verging on a muscle car....

BUT when did it go out of production?

Also VED will be rather higher.

BUT still like the idea.
Are you thinking of the Polestar version? That's a beast! The 'old' D5 0-62 performance is only fractionally better than a newer VEA D4 (at a cost of worse MPG and higher VED).
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 06:05   #9
dhr90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Are you thinking of the Polestar version? That's a beast! The 'old' D5 0-62 performance is only fractionally better than a newer VEA D4 (at a cost of worse MPG and higher VED).
But it has 5 cylinders rather than 4 and going by what I have read, a much more reliable EGR/DPF system (I always forget which is troublesome on the VEA). I like my D5, but will admit better mpg and cheaper VED would be nice
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 06:18   #10
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
No. It's more about the sound of the D5, which is quite macho, whereas the D3 just sounds like a normal 4-cylinder engine (strangely enough).