Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cool air for carbs

Views : 2728

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 08:06   #1
sleek lemur

Default Cool air for carbs

My 1800E now runs twin Webers. Am looking into heat shield above the exhaust manifold and also the possibility of an airbox over the carb trumpets, fed by a pipe from the front of the car, through the hole where the original air source for the EFI came.

Anyone with any experience in this area ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webers.jpg (292.6 KB, 40 views)
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 09:31   #2
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

A friend of mine on this forum Khe Sanh rightly pointed out to me all the sound insulation on the inside of the bonnet lid of P1800 which will add the heat insulation. I never thought of that when I owned my car, but on reflection, it was quite obvious!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 23:08   #3
Bracpan

You might have to get a general airbox and cut the inlets for the carbs out to fit...
I also think you might have to fit shorter trumpets to get clearance and fit an air filter either as part of the airbox or in the feed from the front..
Those gauze filters not only filter nothing but also sap power.
When i first fitted a K&N filter on a car years ago the rolling road chap said they are worth thousands, I asked why ? because running car without filters drags in so much dirt and dust the damage can be considerable in no time at all...
But i bet they sounds great like that..
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bracpan For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 23:29   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

It's possible that the B20 SU filter box could be used by using an adaptor plate for the Webers. No filter inside and slightly shorter trumpets with rolled ends inside the box. Air intake could be routed to the hole and an ES type filter used. A cone or barrel type of aftermarket filter would also fit but they are more for looks than effective as a proper filter. Paper filters are pretty consistent over their normal service life whereas oiled K&N types gradually get clogged due to the oil and dust combining to reduce the flow.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 00:01   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

KG trimning has some possible options for the air filter.
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 00:53   #6
sleek lemur

Thanks everyone. Wise words, Bracpan, the option of K&N filters means I need to invest in shorter trumpets to allow a minimum 25mm clearance. Even then, it's touch and go whether the K&N filter will fit.

The power loss on the rolling road was 2bhp (160 without, 158 with).

A friend with a racing MGB has simply trunking pointing at the carbs. Feels that an airbox can give cooler air to the front carb, thus disturbing the balance.

Definitely going to fabricate some sort of exhaust shield.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleek lemur For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 11:53   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

MGB man could put a deflector in the airbox and adjust it to balance the cold air feed.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 13:06   #8
Bracpan

K&N can be cleaned easy and have a no quibble 1,000,000 mile guarantee. So once bought you have them for life plus they come out test after test as one of the best filters on the market, they can still flow more when dirty than a paper filter, and seeing the dirt they collect gives you a good indication of how much would have gone into your nice clean engine !....I've used them on road and race cars since 1985 "never" had a problem.
But i agree looking at the gap there is not much room to fit on the carbs...
Possible Air box and pipe with a remote filter mounted low to collect cold air ? It would not be a very big filter for the power the engine puts out..
Unfortunately the area where the carbs are does collect warm air, especially the rear carb, we did a few experiments on a turbo competition car to find where good exit vents would disperse the hot air from under the bonnet (from the rad and intercoolers) and its nearly always back on the side edges of the bonnet. if you look at a lot of rally WRC cars they have exits in those ares... on some cars you cars you can actually feel the heat on that part of the bonnet..... do a test after a run..
The best way to lose heat from the exhaust manifold is to ceramic coat it but its not cheap and you will still get the heat from the rad..
Have a look at the link below, its probably not the right size but it gives you an idea of whats you could do, then run a flexy pipe to a filter...what ever you do don't fit a sponge cone filter they are cr*p...
https://www.efihardware.com/products...or-Carburettor
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 13:53   #9
sleek lemur

Thank you, Bracpan. I really appreciate you taking the time. I'll definitely follow through on your suggestions.
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 17:14   #10
arcturus
arcturus

In real terms how much does a power loss of 2bhp equate to the driving experience? I take it that you are not thinking of trying for a formula1 test.