Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc60 AWD tyres

Views : 6186

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2017, 00:32   #1
Mavo47

Default xc60 AWD tyres

Hi All
Quick question on changing tyres, I have xc60 AWD D5 R design 2014 was advised my front tyres are nearly ready for changing, I've measured the tread depth and its about 4mm on front 6mm on rear dealer is telling me to change all 4 tyres together as its AWD but it would be a shame to bin the rear tyres with 6mm on them, I have been told that I could just change the fronts as long as the new tyres with 8mm tread go on the back and the rear 6mm tread go on front something to do with the drive is there any logic to this or is it a load of tosh, would really like your opinions on this.
Many thanks
Mav
Mavo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 01:09   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavo47 View Post
Hi All
Quick question on changing tyres, I have xc60 AWD D5 R design 2014 was advised my front tyres are nearly ready for changing, I've measured the tread depth and its about 4mm on front 6mm on rear dealer is telling me to change all 4 tyres together as its AWD but it would be a shame to bin the rear tyres with 6mm on them, I have been told that I could just change the fronts as long as the new tyres with 8mm tread go on the back and the rear 6mm tread go on front something to do with the drive is there any logic to this or is it a load of tosh, would really like your opinions on this.
Many thanks
Mav
There is no reason to change all four. On some older AWD cars with a thermo viscous coupling (Vauxhall Cavalier, Land Rover Freelander 1, pre-2003 MY Volvo) it is important to keep the tyres about the same circumference or transmission damage can occur. However on the later cars with a Haldex based system (all post 2003 MY Volvo) it is simply not an issue whatsoever [to the longevity of the drivetrain] how you mix part worn tyres or where the less worn ones are fitted. So yes it is absolute tosh.

AWD system apart - opinion is divided as to whether you put the best tyres to the back or front - but probably all manufacturers and most motoring bodies (AA, RAC) now recommend the rear on the basis that there would be a greater chance of regaining control of the car if it aquaplaned. However 6mm and 8mm is so close and if you put the 8mm at the front, by the time the rears have worn to 4mm the fronts will have too. In spite of recommending that new tyres go to the rear, Volvo also recommend that you rotate the tyres regularly which invariably means putting the less worn ones to the front...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Aug 28th, 2017 at 01:13.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 12:33   #3
Rooster
Speed freak

Tosh,

Legal limit is 1.6mm across tyre so at 4mm your only half worn anyway,

The main issue on newer cars is the TPMS tyre pressure monitors,

Seen a few lately that have odd tyres on same axle and it keeps putting light on as it thinks one tyre is going down, but as long as tyres are changed in pairs its fine or if one is damaged for whatever reason it is replaced like for like (make and model of tyre is the same not just make as every tyre differs)
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 21:10   #4
Mavo47

Thanks for your feedback on the tyre issue, I am just going to replace the 2 front tyres and put the largest tread to the rear as recommended .
Thanks again .
Mavo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 09:33   #5
Paul86

When I bought my old xc90 it had cheap tyres on it. If you pushed it a little hard the front would wash out on roundabouts, I replaced the fronts when they wore out but then the back became very twitchy. Just be careful what you put on, I now try and keep all four the same to keep the grip the same otherwise the awd can cause problems with grip, especially if the fronts are the ones with less grip.
Paul86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 19:02   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul86 View Post
When I bought my old xc90 it had cheap tyres on it. If you pushed it a little hard the front would wash out on roundabouts, I replaced the fronts when they wore out but then the back became very twitchy. Just be careful what you put on, I now try and keep all four the same to keep the grip the same otherwise the awd can cause problems with grip, especially if the fronts are the ones with less grip.
Also the 2WD versions of the XC60 can be prone to torque steer with un-matched front tyres (either tread depth and/or variant)
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 19:46   #7
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Tosh,

Legal limit is 1.6mm across tyre so at 4mm your only half worn anyway,
Not necessarily. The manufacturers do state that for maximum 'winter' performance, you should not go below 4mm.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 00:24   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Not necessarily. The manufacturers do state that for maximum 'winter' performance, you should not go below 4mm.
I've just rotated the tyres on my XC60 tonight (41k and still on the original Continentals that are between 3.5 and 4mm). Noticed that they now have wear indicators at 4mm as well as 1.6mm.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 23:43   #9
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I've just rotated the tyres on my XC60 tonight (41k and still on the original Continentals that are between 3.5 and 4mm). Noticed that they now have wear indicators at 4mm as well as 1.6mm.
You need to have a minimum of 4 mm and snow flake rated winter tyres (The mountain symbol ones are better) to be legal in Switzerland and Austria during the winter. The tread depth makes no real difference in ice, but sure does in snow. That's probably why they have wear indicators at 4 mm.
Some all weather tyres are snow flake rated.

Oddly enough a lot of drivers forget that how good the tyres are makes very little difference to a cars performance when cornering, it mostly effects braking distance figures (They relate directly to how good the grip is) and to some extent handling.
Winter tyres are not much better than summer tyres on black ice, although they are better on dry ice (Below about minus 15c). At present there is no EU standard for braking tests on ice, due to the EU failing to define which type of ice should be used.

When selecting tyres, the only manufacturers worth considering are Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear and Michellin. If you use winter tyres, Nokian are also worth checking.
Not much difference between the performance of any of the major brand top of the range tyres, although Michellins seem to last slightly longer and on average Continentals have the best braking distance figures.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Oct 22nd, 2017 at 23:58.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 12:18   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
You need to have a minimum of 4 mm and snow flake rated winter tyres (The mountain symbol ones are better) to be legal in Switzerland and Austria during the winter. The tread depth makes no real difference in ice, but sure does in snow. That's probably why they have wear indicators at 4 mm.
Some all weather tyres are snow flake rated.

Oddly enough a lot of drivers forget that how good the tyres are makes very little difference to a cars performance when cornering, it mostly effects braking distance figures (They relate directly to how good the grip is) and to some extent handling.
Winter tyres are not much better than summer tyres on black ice, although they are better on dry ice (Below about minus 15c). At present there is no EU standard for braking tests on ice, due to the EU failing to define which type of ice should be used.

When selecting tyres, the only manufacturers worth considering are Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear and Michellin. If you use winter tyres, Nokian are also worth checking.
Not much difference between the performance of any of the major brand top of the range tyres, although Michellins seem to last slightly longer and on average Continentals have the best braking distance figures.
The problem with Europe is the rules and recommendations differ so much between countries, it's really hard to tell. Some have more relaxed rules for visitors and in some the rules only apply when it is actually snowing. I think the EU parliament have been too busy banning light bulbs and vacuum cleaners to get around to winter tyres...

https://www.theaa.com/european-break...s-winter-tyres

I would agree that if you carefully select a tyre from the manufacturers you have listed you are assured of reasonable results - but I would not restrict it to just those - FYI with regard to car tyres, Goodyear and Dunlop are the same entity. These days it's really important that people buying tyres check the EU label and keep that in mind when making a selection. Vredestien, Cooper, Yokohama, Bridgestone and Pirelli all have offerings as good as those listed.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135