Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice please on D4 engine

Views : 1567

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2018, 10:08   #11
Andy D60

Default VEA EGR Valve

Hi Clan,

I'm really just assuming the EGR hasn't been done because there's no record of it in the Volvo service sheets.I bought the car 2nd hand 18mths ago. Is this a correct assumption or could I have it wrong?
Really appreciate your input and experience.

Andy
Andy D60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 10:21   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D60 View Post
Hi Clan,

I'm really just assuming the EGR hasn't been done because there's no record of it in the Volvo service sheets.I bought the car 2nd hand 18mths ago. Is this a correct assumption or could I have it wrong?
Really appreciate your input and experience.

Andy
I understand , In that case it is most likely all or part of the modification has already been done , Have a look at your top radiator hose , if it is a plain hose from radiator to engine with no big T piece half way along the modification has been carried out previously . You don't get any paperwork normally as it is a warranty job .
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 14:03   #13
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex beckett View Post
Hi all,

I currently lease a (65) XC60 SE Lux-Nav D4 Geartronic (8 speed).
I have had no problems wth the car in the 3 years that I have leased it and I'm looking at buying the car in a few months time when lease ends.

I am looking for some advice/opinions on the reliability and longevity of these D4 engines from current or previous owners before committing to buying.

I have heard of a few rumours that the engines made around this production year had some serious issues but not sure how true this is?

Many Thanks in advance,
Alex.
When I got a new XC60 in 2014 I was told you cannot buy a Volvo lease car afterwards, which is why I PCP'd it. Who is your lease with and are you def on contract hire which is what I would best describe as a lease
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 15:00   #14
Andy D60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I understand , In that case it is most likely all or part of the modification has already been done , Have a look at your top radiator hose , if it is a plain hose from radiator to engine with no big T piece half way along the modification has been carried out previously . You don't get any paperwork normally as it is a warranty job .
Had a look at lunchtime Clan and the top hose is a complete hose from radiator to engine so it's had at least the first fix is that correct? Would Volvo keep a record of what work has been carried out?

Andy
Andy D60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 18:08   #15
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey600 View Post
One of the biggest threads, if not the biggest(?) on the xc60 forum relates to the EGR valve on this engine
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555

Having said that, our xc70 D4 fwd, built may 2015, has had no issues whatsoever over a total of 90k miles - we bought it a year ago with 75k on the clock.
It has not had the so called 'fix' done to it - i.e. It still has a 'T-piece' in the top hose.
Well, I spoke too soon. Our EGR valve gave up the ghost while on holiday back in the UK. No warning lights, just horrendous misfire and engine jerking back and forth if you pushed the accelerator pedal (to accelerate(!)). It was fine at constant speed on open road but gradually got worse and worse as we got into town with roundabouts and 'lights and kept stalling when slowing right down. It turned out to be the EGR valve and was replaced along with cooler and the new mods to pipework also fitted. All sorted under goodwill from Volvo.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote