Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 2002 phase 2 xenon headlight reflectors

Views : 577

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2018, 16:45   #1
oldsaab93

Default V40 2002 phase 2 xenon headlight reflectors

Hello

Can someone please confirm whether the chrome reflectors in the xenon headlights fitted to my 2002 model V40 are the same as the reflectors in a standard phase 2 twin headlight setup?

I have a patch of damaged chrome on the reflector affecting the light pattern, and wondered whether I could buy a secondhand standard reflector and build this into my xenon lamp or not??

I've looked on the web for pictures and I think the xenon reflector is unique. I will ask my friendly main dealer on Monday to see if they are available?

thanks
Martin
oldsaab93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 23:31   #2
M88JCP

Hi Martin

I don’t know 100% but 99.9% the beam pattern of the factory HID’s and the halogen headlights are different. The different bulb types disperse light differently so would need bespoke headlight units. It’s one of the reasons that putting aftermarket HID kits in a headlight designed for halogen is dangerous for other road users.

Hopefully somebody else can confirm if I am right or not

Thanks
James
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 02:20   #3
gatos
Premier Member

As James said, the reflective pattern is different

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 02:48   #4
V40T4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsaab93 View Post
Hello

Can someone please confirm whether the chrome reflectors in the xenon headlights fitted to my 2002 model V40 are the same as the reflectors in a standard phase 2 twin headlight setup?

I have a patch of damaged chrome on the reflector affecting the light pattern, and wondered whether I could buy a secondhand standard reflector and build this into my xenon lamp or not??

I've looked on the web for pictures and I think the xenon reflector is unique. I will ask my friendly main dealer on Monday to see if they are available?

thanks
Martin
Sorry but it's not that simple, the reflectors are different.
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 13:27   #5
oldsaab93

Thank you all for confirming that they are different.

I will enquire with my main dealer on Monday to see if it is possible to buy a new xenon reflector on it's own, that I can then fit to my headlamp unit.

thank you
Martin
Old Sep 8th, 2018, 15:49   #6
dralphs

I think you are out of luck. On this website it doesn't list a reflector separate. https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../30899885.html

But it does for normal headlights https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../30621936.html

If it isn't available, you might be able to get the reflector resilvered.
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 10:11   #7
oldsaab93

Complete new Xenon headlight units are still available from the main dealer parts department - although they were £590 per side!!

The reflector is not available as a separate part.

In the end I bought a complete used headlight and fitted this.