Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Preferred service kits, oil brands and intervals

Views : 1413

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 17:40   #11
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
On the D5, the Mann oil filter is identical to the genuine Volvo one and both are stamped with Mann's own part number HU719/8. They just add the Volvo stamp and Volvo part number and Volvo charge you £8 more for the ink.
If they were different filters, they'd have a different part number.
Exactly what I was saying 👍
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 17:00   #12
Rids666

Bought all the service items from Euro car parts. Mann oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter and sump plug seal all for £42. Ordered at 13:15 and they delivered it to my door by 15:45. Cant complain at that
Rids666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rids666 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 17:49   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids666 View Post
Bought all the service items from Euro car parts. Mann oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter and sump plug seal all for £42. Ordered at 13:15 and they delivered it to my door by 15:45. Cant complain at that
all that for about the same cost as the genuine pollen filter
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 12:37   #14
Turbodave
VOC Member

Interesting discussion.

Have since had it serviced with parts supplied, Mann filters and Drivetec oil which I concede isn't the best but I'll generally change all of the above every 5k regardless and given the oil and fuel filters were already showing signs of going hard and the oil was black and gritty to the touch, I don't think I'd be that keen to run any brand of filter or oil much longer!
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 12:45   #15
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

....and that's where my head is.

I would rather run a mid-price oil and change it more often than full term on a premium oil.

You get some wear from the oil deteriorating, and some wear from the contaminants and particles that the oil picks up - no matter how expensive or good it is.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 13:03   #16
Turbodave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
....and that's where my head is.

I would rather run a mid-price oil and change it more often than full term on a premium oil.

You get some wear from the oil deteriorating, and some wear from the contaminants and particles that the oil picks up - no matter how expensive or good it is.
Agreed.

I know oil technology has improved over the years as have engines themselves but I just struggle to get my head round running to 20k without an oil change or 40k for a fuel filter... I'm perhaps being a bit silly doing the filters every 5k but on both my diesels (2.0D and a D5) the oil and fuel filters have gone brittle and just don't look that great. Changing the fuel filter definitely makes a difference in the performance, both feel much stronger mid range so again to run to 20k or 40k just seems at best, optimistic!
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 14:58   #17
AndyV7o
Premier Member

I use premium oil and change at 12 month/ 10-12k intervals.
With a premium oil anything less than 10k is wasteful, but after 12 you are hitting a much steeper slope of deterioration. If you shop around you're only paying around a fiver or so more per gallon on premium oil. Cheap oil though, 8k max before the budget additives and polymers start falling to bits.
I dont agree with 18k+ intervals either.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 14:40   #18
Nogbad the Bad

For those who mentioned Crosland, see this...

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...light=crosland
Nogbad the Bad is offline   Reply With Quote