Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Climate control panel and light switch lighting dead

Views : 450

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2018, 14:53   #1
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Default Climate control panel and light switch lighting dead

Hi all, I thought I'd have a crack at changing the bulbs in my ac panel above the stereo and also the ones in the headlight switch panel as hardly anything works, so imagine my surprise after fitting new bulbs and it's exactly the same, the light switch side is completely dead, no light at all from any of the 3 bulbs and on testing with a multi meter I have 0v on all three, so that is dead, although it's just the backlighting circuit, the headlight themselves and fogs etc all work as normal.

Then into the ac panel, the left hand bulb lights up fine, the middle one is dead and reads 0v, and the right one comes on dimly, with readings that fluctuate between 3.5 and 5 volts, whatever could be going on here?

Many thanks in advance
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 15:13   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Update:

After some precision Emery papering I've got the right side of the dash panel lighting correctly and showing ~12v, the centre bulb holder and the 3 in the light switch are all still completely dead.
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 11:30   #3
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Update 2.

Turns out that you need all three bulbs fitted for the circuitry to actually work, the system must be wired in series or something, all working, not particularly bright though so hunting for plug and play LED items, still no luck with the headlight panel though, I may well just fit LEDs here and then spur off some wiring back there to give me my ignition live.
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 19:57   #4
butoruuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Update 2.

Turns out that you need all three bulbs fitted for the circuitry to actually work, the system must be wired in series or something, all working, not particularly bright though so hunting for plug and play LED items, still no luck with the headlight panel though, I may well just fit LEDs here and then spur off some wiring back there to give me my ignition live.
Great. thanks for the follow up and let us know what was the issue. Always good to hear the end of a story.
butoruuu is offline   Reply With Quote