Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dreaded core plug failure D5 2003

Views : 3833

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2014, 20:40   #1
JohnL

Default Dreaded core plug failure D5 2003

Just got back from a long trip and see the back door is covered in engine mist, so I am presuming that the dreaded core plug behind the flywheel may have come out. Very luckily there is still oil in the engine thank goodness.
Can I take the auto box out without taking the engine as well, or is it better to take both out together, but being a much bigger job?
If I can just take the auto box off the engine in situ, would I have to take the bevel box off first, as I need to do the coupling as well.
Any pointers would be gratefully received please

John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 21:16   #2
ianu
Premier Member

Have a check elsewhere first. I'm pretty certain if it was core plug - it's all or nothing and you'd have dumped all your oil.
Check it's not from the turbo pipes or intercooler/oil coolers.
BUT if it's not had the core plug done before anyway - I wouldn't leave it long either..
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 16:56   #3
JohnL

Oil is coming from the drain hole in the clutch housing. So I'm presuming that its the dreaded plug, really don't know why its let go now, as I have more than 260,000km on.
I think I will take the engine out and leave the gearbox in situ. This way I don't have to dismantle all the suspension as well.
I was wondering how much gap is needed to move the engine to the right side from the gearbox, how much does the flex plate enter into the flywheel, has anybody done an engine out job who could help me here, or a picture of the flex plate spigot that goes into the flywheel?
John
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 02:16   #4
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

When I replaced the rubber plug that fell out on my V70 AWD D5 , I undid the prop and driveshafts , then took the whole lot out the top.
Not sure about XC90 , but my XC90 seemed to have more room than the V70 ,so worth look in to .
I did not have to remove the sub frame or steering .
Having got the whole lot out , it was not to bad to remove the gear box.
Also the rate of oil loss was around 1.5L per hundred miles ,and yes the plug had fell out as it was ground down by the edge of the ring gear.

Roger

Last edited by rogerb; Mar 10th, 2014 at 02:19.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 08:27   #5
JohnL

Thanks Roger
Do you remember how much you had to split the engine from the gearbox, just wondering if I can do this, in the car, as the timing cover is quite tight to the right side of the engine, it seemed at the time easier to take the engine out less the gearbox rather than taking the gearbox off the engine in situ.
Will have another try again this week to get it out, and will take some pictures.
John
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 00:06   #6
2004 xc90

Mine has the same oil leak from the drain hole, but with the front up on axle stands with the engine running and in gear (4wd disconnected) there is no noticeble oil leak.
It is only when I turn it off that it leaks quite badly. I thought it may be gearbox oil and leaking out when it depressurises, but I'm 80% convinced it's engine oil.
I also have the telltale smoke from the dipstick, and have cleaned all tubles and the PCV system but can't clear it. I think I have too much pressure in the crankcase.

Very interested on how you get on with this as I may need to do likewise.

Good Luck
2004 xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 21:47   #7
JohnL

Well the engine is now finally out!
The biggest issue is that the bevel awd box has to come off as well, as it covers 2 bolts completely that go into the gearbox, which also means the the r/h wheel and drive shaft has to come out.
I've had to take off bevel box anyway as needed to change the awd coupling.
I left the rear engine mount, and the torque rod at the front. Placed a block of wood between the gearbox and the subframe just below where the starter is mounted. Lifted the engine more on the r/h side, so the sump would clear the subframe. the engine only needs about 2 and half inches to clear the torque converter, make sure that it stays on the gear box and doesn't come with the flywheel.
I removed the crank sensor, it will need a clean anyway to get the metal filings off it and the EGR valve and the vacuum pump on the rear of the block, but the fuel pump can stay on.
You have to disconnect the fuel pipes by the r/h wheel, the pressure line has a special sealing quick release joint, I made a tool to disconnect it with a piece of nylon, it was a cable clamp with a nail attached, ground back the nail holding part and ground a leading edge, it has a slot to fit over the tube.
The alternator has to come off, and the air conditioning compressor, but no need to let the gas out.
I took off the timing belt cover as well.
Mine is a lefthand drive so not sure where the servo is on a r/h drive and where the abs valve is located as well
I used a short chain between the 2 lifting points and didn't even have to remove the bonnet luckily.
I can take some pictures if that may help.
I just need to get the coupling off the gearbox for the awd somehow, I think I will grind some slots in there tomorrow.
I still think its a better option than pulling the gearbox off the engine, and lowering the subframe, but there is just a lot of unbolting.
I have borrowed an engine lifting crane.
There are also some parts that will need 2 people! I have done this in my garden outside made use of these super dry last days, hope it stays dry for the refit!
John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnL For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2018, 11:32   #8
Basquen

What is the procedure for the core plug itself. Is it a convex design that needs to be 'popped' to fit or a straight fit with an appropriate socket?
Basquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 22:09   #9
JohnL

Its like a core plug, its the one just above the crankshaft.
Some pictures may be of help
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1532.jpg (323.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1533 (Small).JPG (202.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1535 (Small).JPG (213.5 KB, 99 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnL For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 22:17   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Its like a core plug, its the one just above the crankshaft.
Some pictures may be of help
John
check your rear vac engine mount easy to change when you are this far dismantled
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote