Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front & rear washers swapped

Views : 780

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2016, 17:03   #1
ether

Default Front & rear washers swapped

Here's a weird one...my XC90 has been looked at by a couple of garages over the past year because of CAN bus issues. At some point, somebody has done something to reverse the front and rear windscreen washers.

Basically, when I pull the wiper stalk towards me, the front windscreen wipers start but the rear washer operates. When I push the stalk, the rear wiper starts but the front washer operates.

Any ideas what might have been done to cause this?

Cheers!
ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 17:45   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The pump runs in one direction for front washer, the other for rear washer

They've either swapped the hoses on the pump motor or swapped the wiring to the pump motor

Whichever it is will depend on where the work was done - did you have wiring looms repaired? suspect swapped wires on pump motor (at the CEM, or somewhere to the motor)

Otherwise suspect swapped hoses

The pump motor is at the bottom of the washer bottle

See post #8 here for instructions
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=61892
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 10:00   #3
ether

Thanks Swiss. Really useful info.

Can't think why they'd have gone anywhere near the reservoir but they were playing about with the CAN wiring near the CEM. Maybe they swapped something there, although all wires connect in via multi-pin connectors so not sure how that'd happen.

One garage did the majority of the investigating so suppose I should take it back to them first and see if it rings any bells.
ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 14:59   #4
calama

I know this is an old thread but I have just replaced my pump and I get the same thing. Nobody has been anyway near the electrics or ECU, just a straight swap, so the only thing I can think of is the motor polarity is the opposite way around on these cheap units - off ebay for £8. I tried 2 and both the same.
What I can't figure out is if I swap the pipes over you would think that would fix it, but then the near one works both ways and the front one not at all....very confusing!
calama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 17:49   #5
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

This is just a guess

How many pipes are there?

1 - pick up from reservoir

2 - output to front

3 - output to rear

If you are swapping the pickup from reservoir and one of the output pipes it'll likely run "back-ass-wards"

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by Harley Dave; Sep 18th, 2018 at 17:49. Reason: Tripo removal
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 18:07   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The XC90 has a single washer fluid reservoir which has three pumps running from it. The pumps actually plug into the washer bottle directly via large rubber seals. The washer bottle is the most complicated piece of plasting forming imaginable and is behind the front bumper in the o/s wheel arch.

There are two small pumps that are identical and operate the rear window and front windscreen washer jets. There is a larger pump for the headlight washers.

If the bottle has been removed it's an easy mistake to either connect the wrong pipe or wires to the two smaller pumps and transpose their operation. Note that if you remove only the front bumper and do not remove the washer bottle, you will only be able to see and access the headlamp washer pump which is at the front.

Removing the bottle is easy - if you know how. There are a number of hidden bolts for which you need a socket and long extension. It's a worthwhile job as the pumps have internal filters which on a 10 year + old car are invariably partially clogged and the washers usually work much better after a good clean up. I usually sock the bottle in a strong bleach solution overnight to get rid of the slime.

Note - the pumps are cleverly installed at different height, and the washer bottle has carefully designed compartments so when the washer bottle runs down, the headlamp washers stop working first, then the rear window, then finally the windscreen.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 18th, 2018 at 18:20.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 01:03   #7
calama

thanks Tannaton, I was getting even more confused for a bit then, but I checked VIDA and it seems that there are two systems - pump part number 9169611 which has one outlet and therefore 2 pumps and part number 31349228 which has 2 outlets which operate with a small valve...I gather the motor spins both ways depending on front or rear to actuate the valve. Mine is the second type so still none the wiser.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 12:16   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by calama View Post
thanks Tannaton, I was getting even more confused for a bit then, but I checked VIDA and it seems that there are two systems - pump part number 9169611 which has one outlet and therefore 2 pumps and part number 31349228 which has 2 outlets which operate with a small valve...I gather the motor spins both ways depending on front or rear to actuate the valve. Mine is the second type so still none the wiser.
Oooerr... the last one I did was a 2004 MY car so I don't know if they were changed later. My own 2003 MY is the same.

I'm not familiar with the other system but I don't see how a pump could work different systems by reversing the polarity - surely that would then suck water out of the pipes and then back into the washer bottle??

If that is the case though then surely you just need to swap the pipes over?
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 19th, 2018 at 12:20.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 13:31   #9
calama

Yes one would think swapping the pipes would do it - this is my conundrum. for info there is a nice youtube clip to how the motor works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffaF5o_joQ

Last edited by calama; Sep 19th, 2018 at 13:57. Reason: incomplete post
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 18:11   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Thanks - that was most useful. I wonder what MY it changed?
1976 Massey Ferguson 135