Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My Amazon Estate Rescue Mission

Views : 33119

Replies : 193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2012, 02:45   #1
Andy the Aussie

Default My Amazon Estate Rescue Mission

Thought I'd share a bit of this with anyone who wants to read it....

So I'm Andy,

I'm an Aussie - I live here in London and I'm married to and have a little boy with my wife, who is from Sweden.

A year or so ago the Swedish influence must of taken hold and I had a huge desire to get an amazon estate - it never faded

So very recently I went and got one.... from Scotland....

I had been watching a car that was for sale up there for a while but it did not seem to sell, an estate in Scotland with no engine/box and in need of some love...

But it looked solid enough in some of the typical places that I had seen a lot worse on the other cars I had seen - especially in the engine bay....

So I was very tempted - but it was so far away and what would an engine/box cost to sort ????

Then low and behold another car came up for sale on eBay ........

It was a 122s 4 door that was running and driving and complete but sorn and rusty

It was time to go for it - I called the seller of the estate, and committed to it - In fact I sent him the money for the car, and threw some bids in on eBay and came through !

I'd just bought two rusty old amazons sight unseen..... I must be mad.

This news needed to be delivered home at just the right time.... In just the right way....

So I come home one day with a mates trailer - moving some other cars around at home and then pop out for the evening to Hampshire somewhere - home late.

Over breakfast the wife looks out the window of our flat and turns to me to calmly ask;

WTF is on the back of your car ???

So much for the right time/right way plan !

More to come.....
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Andy the Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 04:36   #2
asneddon
Master Member

Thats the way to do it!
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 13:16   #3
Tail
Master Member

Thats what we like to see, spur of the moment stuff and sort out the practicalities later. Nice one
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 21:00   #4
pez
VOC Member

great story pal,keep those pics coming!
i remember seeing that estate on ebay,youre right,it does look solid in the pics.

keep us updated on how youre getting on with it.
good luck with it all.

cheers,pez.

p.s. youre probably heading for a divorce,but on the plus side....it will give you more time to work on the amazon!
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 21:17   #5
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi and welcome.Nice to see you are saving yet another classic which could have ended up scrapped.

Estate=GHU28B=First registered=12-11-1964.Engine 1783cc(missing).
Saloon=FHV749D=First registered=15-07-1966.Engine 1986cc.

Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 11:06   #6
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedsnake74 View Post

WTF is on the back of your car ???
A= A large sieve!
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 12:54   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

[QUOTE=Speedsnake74;1136177]WTF is on the back of your car ???

QUOTE]

She's probably thinking she's married to a bogan... ;-)

Good luck with the build, plenty of helpful folk on here when it's comes to advice and when looking for parts...
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 23:09   #8
Amazonjulian
Master Member

Great yarn keep it coming. Sometimes you just have to follow the dream!
Amazonjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 03:24   #9
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

(I thought I posted on here already)

Yes, a "large seive" indeed. Good thing it is a swedish car, at least. I guess now you have a harem of two swedish girls (well, three, but one is just a spare....)

You will continually LOVE the fact you have a parts-car. It took me seven years to get mine on the road, which waaas exasperating. Most of that was trying to get a very good body man to pull his head out of his a$$ and get some work done, instead of hiding in a bottle. I hope you can do it in less, but after something short of year's driving it has all been worth it (to say nothing of all the cave-time I got fixing it up).

Welcome, picture and problems always welcome.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 12:36   #10
Andy the Aussie

Thanks for the comments guys,

Regarding my little lady- lets just say she knew what she was getting involved with from the start and is generally quite supportive - but now with the arrival of our little boy - her tolerance has taken a hit....

Anyway back to the "story of my estate"

So over a large, strong cup of Zoega's (Swedish coffee) I stood looking out the window of our one bedroom flat staring at the amazon on the borrowed trailer and her WTF question rolled around in my head, maybe she had a point !

I was literally making the plan in my head as I was verbally delivering it, with the pinnacle moment being the disclosure of the purchase of a second amazon that I'd already paid for which was sat in the scottish countryside.....

Bombshell seemed an appropriate word.....

The amazon saloon stayed where it was for about 48 hours ( parked in a residents only bay with a visitors permit on it ) While I figured out my movement plan to get the estate and saloon together at my shared workshop in Bedfordshire.

The one thing I knew was for sure - I was going to be travelling from London to Scotland with an empty car trailer and that seemed crazy, I posted on half a dozen different forums to offer a cheap transport option and bingo - I struck a deal with a guy in Glasgow that had bought a BMW 635csi on eBay that was in east London.

Right - off we go - road trip time.... I'll try keep this short.
I left work a couple of hours early on the Friday and fought my way through London with the amazon on the back and got to bedfordshire, dropped the saloon into its spot outside my unit, gunned it with empty trailer down to ilford to collect the 1800kg 635csi, a mate of mine caught the train out to there and met me at the yard where I was collecting the BMW, with that securely strapped to the trailer we set off up the m11 destination - Rochdale,manchester.

No my mate was not coming to give me a hand, we had spotted a cheap BMW 330d estate for sale that he wanted, so he convinced me to take him up 'on my way'

We got to Rochdale just after 10pm and test drove the beemer etc did a deal and bought the car, at midnight we fuelled both cars up and he abandoned me to head back to London, while I pushed on north in my 530d which has done a few miles..............

Cant beleive i missed the 'all the 2's kodak moment but 32mpg through the hills with that load on the back is respectable for an old girl, economical but not fast....

I pushed on to somewhere around Carlisle and somewhere around 3am before I pulled in for Some shut eye....

Some well earned sleep.....

Last edited by Andy the Aussie; Apr 14th, 2012 at 12:53.
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote