Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Working VIDA/DICE kits?

Views : 4914

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2013, 10:07   #11
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Hi gmartinms, If you have a good look around you can get 2012 versions off the internet and if you do buy a DICE unit from a well known auction site you should get a current up to date version of VIDA with that too.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 01:34   #12
gmartinms

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartinms View Post
Hi SonyVaio, thanks for your answer, now i know why i need the lastest version of VIDA. Today i download an old version a 2010D from the web and try to understand how it works, i don't buy any DiCE yet. I saw it use a SQL database. I found too some basic lessons about it too on volvo website.
Hi guys, Today i take a look to VIDA software, and saw the 21 main modules of a Volvo S60, understand that they comunicate between them through someting called CAN, but i'm not sure if the CEM is the basic module that works with the DiCE hardware to pickup all data from the car if so, is it the main of all?. Is there someone who can explain how all these interact?

MM
gmartinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 05:32   #13
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Just depends on how much you want to know.

CAN or CAN BUS system is nothing more than a computer network, it is the network by which all the components on the car can talk, report, receive, display information/data - LINKY!

CEM is the central electronic module, this is the daddy of all electronic modules in the car. The ECU (ECM) is the brain of the engine but even that talks to the rest of the car via the CEM.

Old Mar 16th, 2013, 17:32   #14
gmartinms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Just depends on how much you want to know.

CAN or CAN BUS system is nothing more than a computer network, it is the network by which all the components on the car can talk, report, receive, display information/data - LINKY!

CEM is the central electronic module, this is the daddy of all electronic modules in the car. The ECU (ECM) is the brain of the engine but even that talks to the rest of the car via the CEM.

Hi again SonyVaio,

Sorry for my questions but i took some time looking the forums not only this and saw many people with VIDA issues setup, and the blog dissapears when everybody installs VIDA in their laptop/PCs. So I think or something wonderfull happens with this software or the software is not so easy to understand, and our friends just open their closet throw the toy and closed the door.

Like many others I have a Volvo with some issues, and the first choice was take it to the workshop and pay for repair, i visted some of them and i found no answers about some electronic issues. Thats why i begun to search answers. And i think the first is try to understand how this car works.

So you are right i visit your link at wikipedia and learn CAN is something like a LAN in a business, and all computers used only a twisted pair to be communicated and be connected. So car modules work in a distributed system, and they communicated each other using CAN protocol in a serial connection form. Now i know why when i pickup the LEM unit i only saw 3 cables.

Haha my friend we have to do this more often, now i´m reading the modules overview and want to understand their ***tions. Now I´m interested to buy this VIDA DiCE, and see what happens when i plug it into my car, of course i don't belive it will be like disneyland, a wonderfull world.

MM
gmartinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 21:17   #15
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Now I´m interested to buy this VIDA DiCE, and see what happens when i plug it into my car, of course i don't belive it will be like disneyland, a wonderfull world.

MM
No, it is more of an Alice in Wonderland affair.

VIDA is easy to install, especially the 2012 versions with Win7, certainly far easier than the earlier versions.

DICE is the hardware box that that sits between VIDA and the car and doesn't do a great deal but what it does do is obviously important. It talks in Volvo speak to all the modules and reads all the information and displays all the readings and settings in VIDA for you to interact with.

Here in the UK it can cost between £60 and £90 GBP just to get codes read from a dealer, for a little bit more than this you can buy the kit and read codes plus all the other functions whenever you want. Certainly worth buying if keeping the car any length of time.

All the best.

Old Sep 10th, 2013, 13:32   #16
Electronix12

Probably going to buy myself one of these soon.

I was wondering, can I turn off the DRLs? Or is that a stupid software 'update'?

Cheers!
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 13:59   #17
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Hi SonyVaio, thanks for your answer, now i know why i need the lastest version of VIDA. Today i download an old version a 2010D from the web and try to understand how it works, i don't buy any DiCE yet. I saw it use a SQL database. I found too some basic lessons about it too on volvo website.

WELL HAVE FUN I found VIDA to be the most unfriendly piece of software I have ever used and installed It took me about three weeks to get VIDA installed and working and eventually I had to use a clean as a whistle Laptop running WIN XP Pro Sp 3 O/S with 2Mb of memory and IE Version 8 I don't think that you will find VIDA any use without a DICE even if you can get a solid install

Have a wee read of my toils here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=186668
V70 Classic 2.4 20V sold on VoS FB page in a few hours
Present - C70 2.4 SE GearTronic - V70R AWD Prins II LPG 2.5 GearTronic
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 20:00   #18
bremner27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde Rules View Post
Probably going to buy myself one of these soon.

I was wondering, can I turn off the DRLs? Or is that a stupid software 'update'?

Cheers!
I was wondering this also, I have a DICE and I have VIDA running on my mac but I haven't really played around with it but would like to know if this is possible?

I have a 2005 V50, I found this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...Lighting-Modes but it doesn't mention models or years but it does look hopeful.
bremner27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 20:36   #19
Thanatos
VOC Member

Up to and inc 2007 iirc you can turn drls off after that it a dealer I know I have done some 2007 cars not tried on a 08 or above
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 20:52   #20
bremner27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
Up to and inc 2007 iirc you can turn drls off after that it a dealer I know I have done some 2007 cars not tried on a 08 or above
Cheers mate I might have a go at the weekend.
bremner27 is offline   Reply With Quote