Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 spare wheel problem solved

Views : 20436

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2014, 16:21   #41
KeithR56

Sorted! The new wheel arrived last night and (as mike95 said) it fitted under the floor with no problem.

I knew it would fit as soon as I took it out of the box. The tyre is the same size as the older 17" Volvo spare I already had, but the wheel itself is much slimmer.

Thanks again to all who pointed me in the right direction.
KeithR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2014, 18:16   #42
mike95

Hi All,

I promised some weeks ago to give an update when I got around to cutting the under floor tray now that the spare wheel is in place.

I have put it off for a while but recently managed to pick up another tray quite cheaply so have now bit the bullet and done it.

I was a little nervous as I put my stanley knife into action but I have to say the result is just great. It now looks much tidier and almost like it was made that way. It has also created a lot more storage than just squeezing stuff in around the spare wheel.

It was a little tricky and I took my time with lots of double checking measurements but was not anywhere as difficult as I thought it might be.

If anyone would like any help or advice please just drop me a line.

Hopefully the photos will have loaded OK too.

Cheers,

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cut and fitted (Large).JPG (132.2 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg Jack, wheel brace and bits added (Large).JPG (135.0 KB, 379 views)
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 19:06   #43
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95 View Post
Hi All,

I promised some weeks ago to give an update when I got around to cutting the under floor tray now that the spare wheel is in place.

I have put it off for a while but recently managed to pick up another tray quite cheaply so have now bit the bullet and done it.

I was a little nervous as I put my stanley knife into action but I have to say the result is just great. It now looks much tidier and almost like it was made that way. It has also created a lot more storage than just squeezing stuff in around the spare wheel.

It was a little tricky and I took my time with lots of double checking measurements but was not anywhere as difficult as I thought it might be.

Cheers,

Mike
Excellent, as you say that stops the stuff rattling around - and to some extent answers the question from some folks who were worried that the wheel could move.

Methinks my wife's floor tray will suffer more from being stored away in the garage roof than my (possible ??) cack-handed attempt at cutting out a circle....

Your solution will give me some courage!
TrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 19:40   #44
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi All,

Cheers,

Mike
I am very impressed with your workmanship, but I wonder if your underfloor tray is different from the MY11?
Looking at the photographs, I cannot see the storage slots for the metal cargo net cassettes.
Just curious.
Will wait until I get my new V60 before deciding to try your solution.
Well done.

tem.
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 19:50   #45
mike95

Hi Mike,

Good luck. I still have the template I made if you are ever passing or actually easy to make your own. I used a large sheet of cardboard and simply drew around the spare wheel with a pencil and then highlighted it with a felt tip. I then cut it out with a scissors.

I then placed the template on the tray (upside down) and drew around that.

I previously accurately measured the distance from the far end of the spare wheel to the rear edge where the tray sits to get a reference point.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Mike
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 21:40   #46
rickp78

I too have put a Tempa spare with jack and brace under the boot floor and did think about cutting the tray. You have done a great job...... I'll be getting my scissors and some cardboard out this weekend
rickp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 13:27   #47
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Good luck. I still have the template I made if you are ever passing or actually easy to make your own. I used a large sheet of cardboard and simply drew around the spare wheel with a pencil and then highlighted it with a felt tip. I then cut it out with a scissors.

I previously accurately measured the distance from the far end of the spare wheel to the rear edge where the tray sits to get a reference point.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Mike
Made a template and cut the hole in the tray today.
A wee bit fiddly, but now done and everything fits snuggly.
I am happy now, that the wheel will not move.

tem.
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 08:20   #48
ChrisTW

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike - your idea looks great and detail very helpful, but where did you get the tray which you cut? Was it in the vehicle when you bought it or did you get it later? I have just got a s/h 2014 V60 D4 181 SE LUX but it has no tray under the boot flap (which has a grocery bag holder). If I can get a tray like yours I will try your solution.

Otherwise I can get the 'spare wheel kit' 31414460 from my local dealer (that's without the wheel and its insert with bits and bobs which I already have) for £98.79. That will provide a very nice tray including screw fitting for the wheel, with room for my towbar in a proper slot for it. I may have to remove the grocery bag holder as suggested by others, but the kit may even include a replacement boot flap without one - won't know for sure till it arrives.

A very good solution, but yours is cheaper and looks equally effective!
ChrisTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 10:54   #49
Pesky

I was thinking of getting a V60 when my XC60 is replaced. I had bought a Tempa spare wheel after a puncture and the goo stuff failing to seal it.

It looks like th XC60 spare is the same size as the one for the V60
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 12:46   #50
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTW View Post
Mike - your idea looks great and detail very helpful, but where did you get the tray which you cut? Was it in the vehicle when you bought it or did you get it later? I have just got a s/h 2014 V60 D4 181 SE LUX but it has no tray under the boot flap (which has a grocery bag holder).
Mine came with the underfloor tray - it sounds like yours has gone missing somewhere along the line.